Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic script question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Basic script question Post 302388735 by suphawk on Thursday 21st of January 2010 08:58:23 AM
Old 01-21-2010
mv $filename `echo "$filename"|sed 's/100/101/g'`

Where does $filename come from?

I tried - ls /dir | grep file > file-list1

that gets me a list of the files, but I'm not sure how to load each one into a cp statement and also sed replace 100 with 101.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

I have some basic doubts. Can someone clarify in this forum? 1)if then eval ' tset -s -Q -m ':?hp' ' else eval ' tset -s -Q ' what does it exactly mean in .profile? 2) what are 'nobody' and 'noaccess' usernames in /etc/passwd file. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basic question

hey...when i type who...what does "pts" field mean??? eg pts 0 etc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urwannabefriend
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very Basic Question

How to know if my AIX 5.2 is running at 64bits? THANKS (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanSkull
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Really basic question....

Hello all. Let me start off by saying I know a little more then it seems by me asking this question... here goes I have an old 486 box and I want to start messing around with unix. I've been taking classes for 3 or 4 years in c programming in unix, so I am used to the commands and such, but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robherms
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Basic OS question

Could someone tell me the command to find out the OS version which will give 12 character not the 9 characters(which is usually machine id). uname -i gives machine id and uname -a is more comprehensive way to look. Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: catwomen
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic question

hi, I have a basic question,, i am in a directory called /intas/OCU_3.9.1/sbin ocuut1@france>mv itsa_tcs itsa_tcs_old mv: itsa_tcs_old: rename: Permission denied i am logging as the owner of the file. when i am doing this i am getting the above error of permission denied. I know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

basic nc question

i'm doing this in one terminal: nc -lu 7402 and it appears to start listening properly, then in another i do this: echo "hello" | nc -u localhost 7402 and nothing happens on the listening terminal - what am i doing wrong? thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterworth
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about a basic shell script: How to make sure it receives only one input?

Hello all! I am very new to shell and Linux in general (I just started 2 days ago), I am trying to write a script that adds the size of the directories and files in a given directory and displays messages if the user puts in something wrong. I think I have covered all the possible problems except... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2358
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic question on shell script execution

I have two shell scripts in the different directories listed below, /root/dev/dir1/test.sh /root/dev/dir2/master.sh I am executing the master.sh script from the test.sh like below and getting 'Permission denied' error. #! /bin/sh #test.sh path='/root/dev' $path/dir2/master.sh But it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic loop awk/shell script question..

Hi, Sorry if this is a newbie question. I guess you can use either awk or shell script for this sequence of operations, but knowing very little about either of them I'm not sure how I should try to write this. The basic objective is to copy certain files that are scattered all over my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc2001
10 Replies
XltWorking(3X)															    XltWorking(3X)

NAME
XltWorking - Convenience function to display a Working dialog, and update the bar graph in the dialog. SYNOPSIS
#include <Xlt/Xlt.h> Boolean XltWorking(widget, question, percent_done) Widget widget; String question; int percentdone; DESCRIPTION
XltWorking Creates a dialog containing a message string, a bar showing the percentage of the task complete, and an abort button. When called with a percent_done value of zero the dialog is managed, and a timer installed to update the bar every second. If question is not NULL, the message string in the dialog is set to this. When called with a percent_done of 100, the dialog is un-managed. If called with a percent_done of -1, only the message is changed. Any value between 0 and 100 will cause the bar graph to be updated the next time the timer fires, and processes any pending timer and X events. If the return value is True, the user has requested that the task should be aborted. widget The widget to wait for. question The message to display in the working dialog. Or NULL, meaning no change. percent_done The percentage of the task complete. 0 will cause the dialog to be managed. 100 will cause the dialog to be un-managed. -1 will update the question only. Any value between 0 and 100 will update the bar graph. RETURN VALUE
Boolean, if True the abort button was pushed, or the window was closed by the window manager. RELATED INFORMATION
XltWorking(3X)