Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users retrieve process state programatically Post 302388724 by Andre_Merzky on Thursday 21st of January 2010 08:28:15 AM
Old 01-21-2010
Question retrieve process state programatically

Assume I spawn a process on (csh) command line, like

Code:
> du -a / >& /dev/null &

which creates a process with id 1234. Now, I can suspend/resume that process with

Code:
> kill -STOP 1234
> kill -CONT 1234

and can query the process state via 'jobs' or 'ps. How can I though query that state programatically (UNIX/POSIX system, no /proc/ available)?

The only call closest to the problem seems waitpid(), which can use WUNTRACED to get notifications on some signals, including SIGSTOP. That seems to work only for processes spawned within the same application - so I would not be able to write a tool which, for the example above, works like

Code:
> check_proc_state -p 1234
 1234 is Running

Another option is to do something like

Code:
FILE* fd = popen ("ps -ewwo pid=,uid=,state=,command=", "r");

and to grep the output - but ps output is not well standardized (well, it actually is, see ps, but the various implementations do not necessarily adhere to the spec), and also this seems a very cumbersome way to do that. Not to speak of performance...

Any better ideas? The solution ideally should work on MacOS, BSD, Linux, and AIX.

Thanks, Andre.

PS.: yes, I grep'ed the forum: huge amount of related posts, and I may well have missed relevant discussions in the noise. My apologies, and thanks for any pointers...

Last edited by Andre_Merzky; 01-21-2010 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process State

If your process makes a system call, then while the system call code is being run in the kernel, is your process READY, RUNNING or BLOCKED? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ianlow
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

child process state

Hi all, I have one requirement,I have two shell programs one is parent and the other one is child . from parent script i need to execute/trigger/call child script as background job. my requirement is after calling child script i want the child process information i.e PID of child weather it is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smreddy
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix script (sh): state of ftp process

Hi guys, I'm writing a script in which I have to get file from a remote host by ftp. The problem is that the remote machine could be very slow, not connected or ok. To resolve this problem, I write this: echo "verbose on" > ftprap.cmd echo "prompt " >> ftprap.cmd echo "ascii"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: egiz81
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

How to Force KILL State -D Process/PID?

Hi Expert, I am not able to kill certain user process as root. I have tried using: pkill -u uname skill KILL -u uname kill -9 PID *** I have not using killall yet, since this server has more than 100 users online atm. PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regmaster
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When a process will go to 'D' state?

I'm using "Linux hostname 2.6.28-15-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 18 18:40:08 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux" All the client machines will use Thin-client ,I will use my laptop for working and I will mount my home directory from server to my laptop. If I open the firefox in my laptop the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ungalnanban
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to Kill process which is in hang state

Hi, Can anyone help to create a script that will kill the process which is in hang state. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A.Santhosh
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with a script for checking the state of a process

Hello Everyone, I have a process that should be always running. Unfortunately, this process is getting down almost every 10 minutes. I want to make a script that verify the state of this process: If the process is up, the script shouldn't do nothing and if it's down he should run it. Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies

8. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)