Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to send Ctrl Break combination in Expect Post 302388705 by JerryHone on Thursday 21st of January 2010 07:18:37 AM
Old 01-21-2010
Your control break selection will be mapped to a specific character or character sequence by the terminal handler to send to the remote device. You simply need to determine exactly what ASCII character(s) are being sent and replicate it on your expect send line.

You may be able to determine the sequence by turning on expect logging and going into expect interactive mode, so what you type is logged.

Hope that helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Disable ctrl-c,ctrl-d,ctrl-d in ksh script

I wrote a ksh script for Helpdesk. I need to know how to disable ctrl-c,ctrl-z,ctrl-d..... so that helpdesk would not be able to get to system prompt :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtofu
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Send

Dear All, I wanna write a script in which it expect something and if it gets whats expected then send the command relating to that. for instance Userame: Asad Required Password for Asad: ****** I tried to use the expect key word but its does not work. I am using Solaris 8/9 If... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asadlone
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How send break in T5220 Box?

Hi, I used "send brk" from terminal in T5220 Box, but no response. Anyone know what's reason? Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xlen
7 Replies

4. Solaris

send break

Does anyone know how to send break on a Blade 100? I'm using a serial cable on my laptop and I can see the system boot up just fine, but I want to send break so i can have it boot from cdrom instead of disk. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: em23
3 Replies

5. Programming

Do you know whether ncurses supports Alt or Ctrl combination keys

I'm new in ncurses. I'd like to ask one question. Do you know whether ncurses supports Alt or Ctrl combination keys? Our application wants to get response when inputting Alt or Ctrl combination keys by keyboard in one linux c project. I try one testing on ncurses, it seems ncurses doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuyan03
3 Replies

6. AIX

Send ctrl+C in expect script

Hi, Am trying to transfer file via FTP using expect script from server to client i need to interrupt the file transfer between server and client Please help what should used in expect code.. I used send "ctrl+c\r" expect "Aborted" but that didnt work.. I need what should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Vi : Is it possible to send ctrl + d signal from a file made with vi and executing it.

Hi Experts, Is it possible to send ctrl + d signal from a inside a file made with vi, using Ctrl V , Esc and 004 , escape sequence. Since : 004 should exit the script if executed. Is this something possible. I am trying with vi , I put this code ^ , and trying to execute it but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect/Send

Hello Team, Am trying to write a script for installing PAM in mulitiple server by using expect and send command. Am facing the below issues,could you please assist. thanks. # cat /tmp/gkscrpt.exp #!/usr/bin/expect -d spawn /tmp/agent/install_pam.sh expect -re "(y/n) " send --... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send ctrl-C signal using bash script.

declare -a array=( "LLC-load-misses" "LLC-loads" "LLC-store-misses" "LLC-stores" "branch-load-misses" "branch-loads" "dTLB-load-misses" "dTLB-loads" "dTLB-store-misses" "dTLB-stores" "iTLB-load-misses" "iTLB-loads" "branch-instructions" "branch-misses" "bus-cycles" "cache-misses" "cache-references"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BHASKAR JUPUDI
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect command to send the user input enter or ctrl+c

Hey All, I am writing one script using expect, that script which is used in spawn will accepts only 1. Enter 2. Ctrl+c Press Control-C to exit, Enter to proceed. Could some one share some thoughts to send the above user inputs in linux expect block ? Thanks, Sam (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SCHITIMA
0 Replies
RUNSCRIPT(1)						      General Commands Manual						      RUNSCRIPT(1)

NAME
runscript - script interpreter for minicom SYNOPSIS
runscript scriptname [logfile [homedir]] DESCRIPTION
runscript is a simple script interpreter that can be called from within the minicom communications program to automate tasks like logging in to a Unix system or your favorite BBS. INVOCATION
The program expects a script name and optionally a filename and the user's home directory as arguments, and it expects that it's input and output are connected to the "remote end", the system you are connecting to. All messages from runscript meant for the local screen are directed to the stderr output. All this is automatically taken care of if you run it from minicom. The logfile and home directory parame- ters are only used to tell the log command the name of the logfile and where to write it. If the homedir is omitted, runscript uses the directory found in the $HOME environment variable. If also the logfile name is omitted, the log commands are ignored. KEYWORDS
Runscript recognizes the following commands: expect send goto gosub return ! exit print set inc dec if timeout verbose sleep break call log OVERVIEW OF KEYWORDS
send <string> <string> is sent to the modem. It is followed by a ' '. <string> can be: - regular text, e.g. 'send hello' - text enclosed in quotes, e.g. 'send "hello world"' Within <string> the following sequences are recognized: - newline - carriage return a - bell  - backspace c - don't send the default ' '. f - formfeed ^ - the ^ character o - send character o (o is an octal number) Control characters can be used in the string with the ^ prefix (^A to ^Z, ^[, ^ ^], ^^ and ^_). If you need to send the ^ character, you must prefix it with the escape character. Also $(environment_variable) can be used, for example $(TERM). Minicom passes three special environment variables: $(LOGIN), which is the username, $(PASS), which is the password, as defined in the proper entry of the dialing directory, and $(TERMLIN) which is the number of actual terminal lines on your screen (that is, the statusline excluded). print <string> Prints <string> to the local screen. Default followed by ' '. See the description of 'send' above. label: Declares a label (with the name 'label') to use with goto or gosub. goto <label> Jump to another place in the program. gosub <label> Jumps to another place in the program. When the statement 'return' is encountered, control returns to the statement after the gosub. Gosub's can be nested. return Return from a gosub. ! <command> Runs a shell for you in which 'command' is executed. On return, the variable '$?' is set to the exit status of this command, so you can subsequently test it using 'if'. exit [value] Exit from "runscript" with an optional exit status. (default 1) set <variable> <value> Sets the value of <variable> (which is a single letter a-z) to the value <value>. If <variable> does not exist, it will be created. <value> can be a integer value or another variable. inc <variable> Increments the value of <variable> by one. dec <variable> Decrements the value of <variable> by one. if <value> <operator> <value> <statement> Conditional execution of <statement>. <operator> can be <, >, != or =. Eg, 'if a > 3 goto exitlabel'. timeout <value> Sets the global timeout. By default, 'runscript' will exit after 120 seconds. This can be changed with this command. Warning: this command acts differently within an 'expect' statement, but more about that later. verbose <on|off> By default, this is 'on'. That means that anything that is being read from the modem by 'runscript', gets echoed to the screen. This is so that you can see what 'runscript' is doing. sleep <value> Suspend execution for <value> seconds. expect expect { pattern [statement] pattern [statement] [timeout <value> [statement] ] .... } The most important command of all. Expect keeps reading from the input until it reads a pattern that matches one of the specified ones. If expect encounters an optional statement after that pattern, it will execute it. Otherwise the default is to just break out of the expect. 'pattern' is a string, just as in 'send' (see above). Normally, expect will timeout in 60 seconds and just exit, but this can be changed with the timeout command. break Break out of an 'expect' statement. This is normally only useful as argument to 'timeout' within an expect, because the default action of timeout is to exit immediately. call <scriptname> Transfers control to another scriptfile. When that scriptfile finishes without errors, the original script will continue. log <text> Write text to the logfile. NOTES
If you want to make your script to exit minicom (for example when you use minicom to dial up your ISP, and then start a PPP or SLIP session from a script), try the command "! killall -9 minicom" as the last script command. The -9 option should prevent minicom from hanging up the line and resetting the modem before exiting. Well, I don't think this is enough information to make you an experienced 'programmer' in 'runscript', but together with the examples it shouldn't be too hard to write some useful script files. Things will be easier if you have experience with BASIC. The minicom source code comes together with two example scripts, scriptdemo and unixlogin. Especially the last one is a good base to build on for your own scripts. SEE ALSO
minicom(1) BUGS
Runscript should be built in to minicom. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, <miquels@drinkel.ow.org> Jukka Lahtinen, <walker@netsonic.fi> User's Manual $Date: 2007-10-07 18:13:51 $ RUNSCRIPT(1)