Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shared hosting, how to install programs and libraries in your home folder Post 302388553 by ImYourVirus on Wednesday 20th of January 2010 07:24:46 PM
Old 01-20-2010
I assume you mean the shared web hosting, ok it looks like you're tying to install/use RRDTools and have tried the binaries and you are having a problem with it not loading the shared libraries to use the program.

And just to let you know the reason why there are (mostly) no shared libraries or access to a compiler such as make or gcc is because they don't want you to install some random piece of software that could break or compromise the machine.

EDIT: What Simon says is also true, which is also what I've said, it just looks like they don't have the modules that you want to use. If they can't/won't help you, then your only other option is to find a web host that can help you and/or get a virtual/dedicated server in which you can install your own programs on.

Last edited by ImYourVirus; 01-20-2010 at 08:38 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shared libraries

Hello everybody, I am having major problems at the moment with shared libraries and I have to little knowledge of them to solve them. So please, please help me :) Ok this is the problem: I have a library A, which uses B and C, and C uses again D. If I try to run A as plugin in apache,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micky
0 Replies

2. Programming

shared libraries

I am compiling code which produces .a and .la libraries. How can I produce .so libraries? I know that gcc -shared does but how? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thalex
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clarification about shared Libraries

I have a doubt about the shared libraries. Where do you set the path for the shared libaries, for the dynamic loader to locate. Any suggestion would be of great help. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar_gr
3 Replies

4. Linux

Shared Libraries

How do i make a library shared say i have a library a.so which i have just compiled. I want to make it shared how do i make it Next Queation is what is the difference between a.so.0 a.so.1 a.so.2 & a.so :rolleyes: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
1 Replies

5. Programming

makefile for programs using libraries loaded at runtime

Hi everybody! I would like to set in the makefile a path that should be the path where the program searches for the libraries loaded at run time. Is there such a variable to be set in makefile? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadiamihu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find programs that are missing libraries.

I had to whip this up, and it seems useful enough to post here. Say you have been cleaning up your filesystem, and you removed a bunch of libraries, or you shuffled around some library directories, and aren't sure if ld.so.conf is correctly setup. You want to sweep through your file system looking... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

7. AIX

Loaded Shared Libraries

Hi, I have a problem about loaded shared libraries. I'm issuing ‘procldd' for a process and AIX shows me the loaded shared libraries. I'm collecting these libraries and counting their size. They were 350MB. After this, I'm issuing ‘ps vx' and I'm seeing that the process takes 130MB from AIX's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jhatzics
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MilesWeb.com shared hosting or unlimited hosting plans?

I want to host a website in India, after all my research I have found MilesWeb.com, I am planning to go for their shared plan http://www.milesweb.com/cpanel-hosting.php I have test their contact options and response time, they are really available 24/7. I have checked few other providers, they... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Guruguy
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use programs in shared folder except ones in my home dir

(0 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use programs in shared folder except ones in my home dir

I am using a cluster where all the programs are located in a shared folder (I can only read but not modify anything in this folder). The path of the share folder is in my .bashrc file (and thus also in my $PATH - first position): source /home/shared/bashrc But some of the programs are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
5 Replies
COMPAT_IBCS2(8) 					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					   COMPAT_IBCS2(8)

NAME
compat_ibcs2 -- setup procedure for running iBCS2 binaries DESCRIPTION
NetBSD supports running Intel Binary Compatibility Standard 2 (iBCS2) binaries. This only applies to i386 systems for now. Binaries are supported from SCO UNIX and other systems derived from AT&T System V Release 3 UNIX. iBCS2 support is only well tested using SCO binaries. XENIX binaries are also supported although not as well tested. SVR4 binaries are supported by the COMPAT_SVR4 option. iBCS2 supports COFF, ELF, and x.out (XENIX) binary formats. Binaries from SCO OpenServer (version 5.x) are the only ELF binaries that have been tested. Most programs should work, but not ones that use or depend on: kernel internal data structures STREAMS drivers (other than TCP/IP sockets) local X displays (uses a STREAMS pipe) virtual 8086 mode The iBCS2 compatibility feature is active for kernels compiled with the COMPAT_IBCS2 option enabled. If support for iBCS2 ELF executables is desired, the EXEC_ELF32 option should be enabled in addition to COMPAT_IBCS2. Many COFF-format programs and most ELF-format programs are dynamically linked. This means that you will also need the shared libraries that the program depends on. Also, you will need to create a ``shadow root'' directory for iBCS2 binaries on your NetBSD system. This directory is named /emul/ibcs2. Any file operations done by iBCS2 programs run under NetBSD will look in this directory first. So, if an iBCS2 pro- gram opens, for example, /etc/passwd, NetBSD will first try to open /emul/ibcs2/etc/passwd, and if that does not exist open the 'real' /etc/passwd file. It is recommended that you install iBCS2 packages that include configuration files, etc. under /emul/ibcs2, to avoid nam- ing conflicts with possible NetBSD counterparts. Shared libraries should also be installed in the shadow tree. Generally, you will need to look for the shared libraries that iBCS2 binaries depend on only the first few times that you install an iBCS2 program on your NetBSD system. After a while, you will have a sufficient set of iBCS2 shared libraries on your system to be able to run newly imported iBCS2 binaries without any extra work. Setting up shared libraries How to get to know which shared libraries iBCS2 binaries need, and where to get them? Depending on the file type of the executable, there are different possibilities (when following these instructions: you will need to be root on your NetBSD system to do the necessary installation steps). COFF binaries You can simply copy all of the available shared libraries since they are fairly small in size. The COFF shared libraries are typically found in /shlib and can be obtained from the following sources: SCO UNIX version 3.x (aka ODT) SCO UNIX version 5.x (aka OpenServer) SCO UnixWare Many versions of SVR4.2/x86 After copying the shared libraries, you should have at least the following files on your system: /emul/ibcs2/shlib/libc_s /emul/ibcs2/shlib/libnsl_s /emul/ibcs2/shlib/protlib_s ELF binaries You can simply copy all of the available shared libraries from the source system or distribution or use ldd(1) to determine the libraries required by a specific binary. After copying the shared libraries, you should have at least the following files on your system: /emul/ibcs2/usr/lib/libc.so.1 /emul/ibcs2/usr/lib/libcrypt.so /emul/ibcs2/usr/lib/libndbm.so /emul/ibcs2/usr/lib/libsocket.so.1 If you don't have access to a SCO system, you will need to get the extra files you need from a SCO distribution. As of January 1998, SCO sells a copy of SCO OpenServer (iBCS2) and/or SCO UnixWare (SVR4) for personal/non-commercial use for only the cost of shipping (about $20US). The distribution comes on an ISO9660-format CDROM which can be mounted and used to copy the necessary files. Run the following script to copy the basic set of files from a SCO distribution directory mounted somewhere locally: /usr/share/examples/emul/ibcs2/ibcs2-setup [directory] You should now be set up for SCO binaries which only need standard shared libs. BUGS
The information about SCO distributions may become outdated. Attempting to a use a nameserver on the local host does not currently work due to an absurd shortcut taken by the iBCS2 network code (remem- ber that there are no kernel sockets). 16/32/64 bit offsets may not be handled correctly in all cases. BSD
February 8, 1998 BSD