Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Assistance Needed With Find/Replace in Vi Post 302388538 by NoSalt on Wednesday 20th of January 2010 06:20:36 PM
Old 01-20-2010
I must apologise, I believe I gave a bad example. I had to come up with it pretty quick and probably didn't do a good job. What I am looking for is a way to search for part of the string that is variable but with a known pattern, for example an IP address:

Code:
[0-9]{1,3}.[0-9]{1,3}.[0-9]{1,3}.[0-9]{1,3}

and add/remove/change things at that part in the string without affecting the rest of the original string or the variable pattern. Which in this example is the IP address. Let me know if I am not making myself clear.

Thanks for reading and replying. Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFS mount assistance needed...

Hello all - I've searched this forum, but was unable to find out the info I need. I'm trying to mount (nfs mount) a directory on another box from my Linux machine. The mount point resides on a Tru64 digital unix machine. The machine trying to do the mount is a Linux machine (redhat 8.0). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heron
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace code help needed

I have a file "dbshot.xml" that contains lines that need replacing in a batch format but the parameters are based on two lines. Ex. <role roletype="01"> <status>1 needs to be changed to <role roletype="01"> <status>0 I can't use simply "<status>1" replace since the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: E Orgill
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assistance needed.

the command "nawk" returns the error command cannot be found in my unix system. Is there a specific library i need to have to use this command? I tried, the whereis command and it returns nothing. if there is nothing to do, what command can i use to replace this nawk command? Appreciate some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 12yearold
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Yellow Book assistance needed

Has anyone worked with yellow book in a unix/linux environment? If so, could you provide me with more answers around this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FL1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: find and replace in certain field only, help needed

I got a sample file like this. $ cat test 12|13|100|s 12|13|100|s 100|13|100|s 12|13|100|s I want to replace all 100 by 2000 only in 3rd field using "awk" This is replacing all 100's :-( $ awk -F "|" '{gsub( /100/,"2000");print}' test 12|13|2000|s 12|13|2000|s 2000|13|2000|s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkl_jkl
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance needed with perl script

Ok, theres a log file containing the below. Lets call the logfile log_fantastic: 2009/03/16 21:42:45 USER: tonnabo - MAC: 0014BF2D385A - STATUS_ID: 30 - STATE: ERROR 2009/03/16 21:42:45 USER: tonnabo - MAC: 001310AC120D - STATUS_ID: 15 - STATE: OK 2009/03/16 21:42:45 USER: tonnabo - MAC:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

assistance needed to add 2 other routines to my script

Hello guys, In my script, I need to add two other routines where I Manipulate the files with a 'x' The routine looks at CLI named qip-getobjectprof that references a input file named hosts_list.txt Then I use the CLI named qip-setobject to set the orignal name with an 'x'and move the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assistance needed for pattern matching

Hi, Below are input files:- File1:- 1: ### CREATE TABLE ## 2: SOMETHING ELSE 1 3: ### CREATE TABLE ## 4: ### CREATE <spaces> 5: TABLE ### 6:SOMETHING ELSE 2 7: ## CREATE 8: <spaces> TABLE ### 9: SOMETHING ELSE 3 File2:- Similar Format... Desired 1 Output File:- (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishal
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archiving assistance needed date to month

We have year folder say in a path /opt/informat/Archive a folder 2012. And in the same folder /opt/informat/Archive we have different folders month based, like 201210, 201211, 201212, this have data for each month, ie files. Now time to time i need to move the monthly folders to the main folder... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghavraok
1 Replies
MB_EREG_SEARCH_POS(3)							 1						     MB_EREG_SEARCH_POS(3)

mb_ereg_search_pos - Returns position and length of a matched part of the multibyte regular expression for a predefined multibyte string

SYNOPSIS
array mb_ereg_search_pos ([string $pattern], [string $option = "ms"]) DESCRIPTION
Returns position and length of a matched part of the multibyte regular expression for a predefined multibyte string The string for match is specified by mb_ereg_search_init(3). If it is not specified, the previous one will be used. PARAMETERS
o $pattern - The search pattern. o $option - The search option. RETURN VALUES
An array containing two elements. The first element is the offset, in bytes, where the match begins relative to the start of the search string, and the second element is the length in bytes of the match. If an error occurs, FALSE is returned. NOTES
Note The internal encoding or the character encoding specified by mb_regex_encoding(3) will be used as the character encoding for this function. SEE ALSO
mb_regex_encoding(3), mb_ereg_search_init(3). PHP Documentation Group MB_EREG_SEARCH_POS(3)