Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sorting with sed,awk ...
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sorting with sed,awk ... Post 302388511 by alister on Wednesday 20th of January 2010 04:43:48 PM
Old 01-20-2010
Hi, aydj:

Code:
$ cat aydj.awk 
function p() {if (s) {gsub(/  +/, " ", s); print s}}
/^RXO/ {p(); s=$1; next}
/CLASS/ {c=$0; getline; gsub(/[^ ]+/, c":&"); s=s" "$0; next}
{s=s" "$0}
END {p()}

$ awk -f aydj.awk data
RXOCF-8 CLASS 2A:57 RU 40 
RXORX-8-0 CLASS 1B:23 CLASS 1B:45 CLASS 1B:16 
RXORX-8-1 EXTERNAL CLASS 2A:6 
RXOCF-21 
RXOTX-34-1 CLASS 1B:2

Cheers,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sorting

Hi, I have used the following code to sort two sets of data: awk '{printf "%10s %s\n",$1,$2}' The first column is text and the second involves numbers. I was just wondering how i would go about sorting the second number so that they ascend from the top? Thanks for any help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaken
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting in awk

i have following file have following type of data 1~%%~fcashfafh~%%~9797 can i sort(numeric) the file on first field and then on last feild using awk (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Horizontal sorting of lines in a File: SED implementation?

Hi guys, Do you know how can I sort a file horizontally per line??? sample input file: zebra papa dog apple yahoo kangaroo ape sample output: apple dog papa zebra ape kangaroo yahoo Please post if u know the sed implementation of this (or whatever implementation u may know of)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: marlonus999
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any better way for sorting in bash/awk

Hi, I have a file which is:- 1 6 4 8 2 3 2 1 9 3 2 1 3 3 5 6 3 1 4 9 7 8 2 3 I would like to sort from field $2 to field $6 for each of the line to:- 1 2 3 4 6 8 2 1 1 2 3 9 3 1 3 3 5 6 4 2 3 7 8 9 I came across this Arrays on example 26-6. But it is much complicated. I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK, sorting-if and print help.

Little-bit of awk experience, need some of the expert help on here. Browsed around here, got a little further, but I am still missing some pieces. Can you help me fill-in my missing awk cells? Sample data file (leaving out ","'s): Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: boolean2222
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed sorting command explanation

sed '$!N; /^\(.*\)\n\1$/!P; D' i found this file which removes duplicates irrespective for sorted or unsorted file. keep first occurance and remove the further occurances. can any1 explain how this is working.. i need to remove duplicates following file. duplicate criteria is not the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukeshguliao
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a .csv using awk or other

Hello all, I am new here and *relatively* new to Unix. I have a bit of an emergency. I have a three column file that I need to sort: sample name, miRNA, reads per million (RPM) There are multiple samples, and for each sample name there are multiple miRNAs and associated RPMs. Some of these... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunnybocter
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting within a record using AWK

Hello, I have a file which has the following format: I have to do is sort individual records in the file based on the 4th field. Each record starts with "Module". Is there an easy way to do this using awk. I have tried piping output from awk to sort and also using "sort" inside awk but... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifteate
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk sorting with different values

Hello, I have a file as follows: BTA Pos KLD 4 79.7011 5.7711028907 4 79.6231 5.7083918219 5 20.9112 4.5559494707 5 58.0002 3.4423546273 6 38.2569 4.7108176788 6 18.3889 7.3631759258 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Homa
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting content between match pattern and move on with awk and sed

S 0.0 0.0 (reg, inst050) k e f d c S 0.0 0.0 (mux, m030) k g r s x v S 0.0 0.0 (reg, inst020) q s n m (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
12 Replies
update-motd(5)							File Formats Manual						    update-motd(5)

NAME
update-motd - dynamic MOTD generation SYNOPSIS
/etc/update-motd.d/* DESCRIPTION
UNIX/Linux system adminstrators often communicate important information to console and remote users by maintaining text in the file /etc/motd, which is displayed by the pam_motd(8) module on interactive shell logins. Traditionally, this file is static text, typically installed by the distribution and only updated on release upgrades, or overwritten by the local administrator with pertinent information. Ubuntu introduced the update-motd framework, by which the motd(5) is dynamically assembled from a collection of scripts at login. Executable scripts in /etc/update-motd.d/* are executed by pam_motd(8) as the root user at each login, and this information is concatenated in /var/run/motd. The order of script execution is determined by the run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit option (basically alphabetical order, with a few caveats). On Ubuntu systems, /etc/motd is typically a symbolic link to /var/run/motd. BEST PRACTICES
MOTD fragments must be scripts in /etc/update-motd.d, must be executable, and must emit information on standard out. Scripts should be named named NN-xxxxxx where NN is a two digit number indicating their position in the MOTD, and xxxxxx is an appropriate name for the script. Scripts must not have filename extensions, per run-parts(8) --lsbsysinit instructions. Packages should add scripts directly into /etc/update-motd.d, rather than symlinks to other scripts, such that administrators can modify or remove these scripts and upgrades will not wipe the local changes. Consider using a simple shell script that simply calls exec on the external utility. Long running operations (such as network calls) or resource intensive scripts should cache output, and only update that output if it is deemed expired. For instance: /etc/update-motd.d/50-news #!/bin/sh out=/var/run/foo script="w3m -dump http://news.google.com/" if [ -f "$out" ]; then # Output exists, print it echo cat "$out" # See if it's expired, and background update lastrun=$(stat -c %Y "$out") || lastrun=0 expiration=$(expr $lastrun + 86400) if [ $(date +%s) -ge $expiration ]; then $script > "$out" & fi else # No cache at all, so update in the background $script > "$out" & fi Scripts should emit a blank line before output, and end with a newline character. For instance: /etc/update-motd/05-lsb-release #!/bin/sh echo lsb-release -a FILES
/etc/motd, /var/run/motd, /etc/update-motd.d SEE ALSO
motd(5), pam_motd(8), run-parts(8) AUTHOR
This manpage and the update-motd framework was written by Dustin Kirkland <kirkland@canonical.com> for Ubuntu systems (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 3 published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. update-motd 13 April 2010 update-motd(5)