Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Obscure sed extraction syntax Post 302388492 by royalibrahim on Wednesday 20th of January 2010 03:49:32 PM
Old 01-20-2010
Obscure sed extraction syntax

Hi,

Could anyone clearly explain me the below sed construct in detail to get to know what it actually does?

Code:
sed 's/\([^ ]* *\)//4'

Code:
echo 'test;10;20' | sed 's/[^;]*;\([^;]*\)/\1/'

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED scipt help - line extraction

Forgive me if this is a dumb question...I'm a Windows sys admin with little programming knowledge. I have files containing anywhere from 3 to 200 lines. Using SED, I want to extract only lines containing a specific instance of "ISS." It is possible that "ISS" will occur several times in a... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuston22
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk gods, I need your Help! Fancy log extraction

Hi! I'm trying to find a way to extract a certain amount of lines from a log file. This would allow me to "follow" a web user through our log files. Here is a sample fake log file to explain what i want to accomplish : BEGIN REQUEST sessionID=123456 boatload of lines for thread-1 detailing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnagus
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction of samba shares with sed

Hi there, My samba configuration file looks like that : ... ... path = /home/samba/profiles/ ... path = /home/samba/shares/family valid users = family path = /home/samba/shares/admins valid users = admins path = /home/samba/shares/publicI want to extract the list of standard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction of text using sed or awk command

Hi All, I need to extract 543 from the command below : # pvscan PV /dev/sdb1 VG vg0 lvm2 Total: 1 543.88 GB] / in use: 1 / in no VG: 0 I have the following command which does the job, but I think this could be achieved in a more simple way using sed or awk. Any help is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Obscure sed variable

Hello, anyone could me explain what does this line script really do?( sed -e "/^#/d" -e "s/#.*$$//" /var/tmp/map.cgd ) | ( awk '{for (i = 2; i <= NF; i++) print $$i, $$0}' ) Moreover... why $$ on second sed instruction?!? What does it means? Thanks gb ---------- Post updated at 11:38... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk/sed match and extraction

Hi, I have a file like this- aa 12 23 34 aa 21 34 56 aa 78 45 56 I want to print out only the lines after the last aa. How do I do this? I tried using grep -A and sed -n, but both didnt work as I wanted to. Could someone help me out please.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed text extraction between 2 patterns using variables

Hi everyone! I'm writting a function in .bashrc to extract some text from a file. The file looks like this: " random text Begin CG step 1 random text Begin CG step 2 ... Begin CG step 100 random text" For a given number, let's say 70, I want all the text between "Begin CG... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction problem with sed command

Hi All I am trying to remove the line having specific pattern from a file by using sed command I have the file named ODS_REP_SRCE_File.txt with content as: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shilpi Gupta
1 Replies
diffmk(1)							   User Commands							 diffmk(1)

NAME
diffmk - mark differences between versions of a troff input file SYNOPSIS
diffmk oldfile newfile markedfile DESCRIPTION
diffmk compares two versions of a file and creates a third version that includes "change mark" (.mc) commands for nroff(1) and troff(1). oldfile and newfile are the old and new versions of the file. diffmk generates markedfile, which, contains the text from newfile with troff(1) "change mark" requests (.mc) inserted where newfile differs from oldfile. When markedfile is formatted, changed or inserted text is shown by | at the right margin of each line. The position of deleted text is shown by a single *. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of diffmk when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 An example of the diffmk command. diffmk can also be used in conjunction with the proper troff requests to produce program listings with marked changes. In the following command line: example% diffmk old.c new.c marked.c ; nroff reqs marked.c | pr the file reqs contains the following troff requests: .pl 1 .ll 77 .nf .eo .nh which eliminate page breaks, adjust the line length, set no-fill mode, ignore escape characters, and turn off hyphenation, respectively. If the characters | and * are inappropriate, you might run markedfile through sed(1) to globally change them. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
diff(1), nroff(1), sed(1), troff(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) BUGS
Aesthetic considerations may dictate manual adjustment of some output. File differences involving only formatting requests may produce undesirable output, that is, replacing .sp by .sp 2 will produce a "change mark" on the preceding or following line of output. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 diffmk(1)