Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Adding Text To Middle Of File Post 302388002 by clx on Tuesday 19th of January 2010 05:45:15 AM
Old 01-19-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BundBash
Thanks Scrutinizer.....that is working great.....can u briefly explain why you add a < so i can understand......am a new starter Smilie
you can check by own.

Code:
/home->wc -l file
11 file
/home->wc -l < file
/home->

"<" is the indirection, which is sending file o/p to the command line by line.
as a result of that, you will get the line count only. ( unlikely the filename also which you get in the another command.)

if you use first command than you will have to suppress the filename part.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into the middle of a original file

how do u insert text into a specific place in a file, say the middle for example, without changing the name for that file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mopimp
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text into first line of the file and middle of the file?

Script 1 Pre-requisites Create a file with x amount of lines in it, the content of your choice. Write a script that takes two arguments. The first being a line of text, the second being your newly created file. The script should take the first argument and insert it into the very top (the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali hussain
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text in the middle of a file

I want to insert a text into the middle of a file (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: relle
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

add text in the middle of file

Can anyone help me pls? I want to add a text into the middle of file. I've writtenthe following script text to add="$1" file="$2" lines=$(wc -l $2) half_lines=$(expr $lines / 2) head -$half_lines $2 > temp echo "text to add" >> temp ((half_lines=$half_lines + 1)) tail -$half_lines $2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: relle
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert text in the middle of a file

Hey guys, how do we take a line of text as an argument from a user and then insert it in the middle of a file irrespective of the number of lines in the file. I am trying to do this without SED or AWK. Inserting it in the beginning and at the end is easy, but i am trying to accomplish inserting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kartikkumar84@g
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add a single line to middle of text file.

I've got a configuration file that is filled with xml text statements for example: <...../> <...../> <...../> <data id="java-options" value="-server -Djava.security.policy..../> <...../> <...../> <...../> I want to write a korn shell script that will go to this specific line and add a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read from middle of a file for a particular text

Hi, Below is my issue which I desperately need and I want a shell script which can do this job. 1. There are 10 log files in a particular location. 2. open each log file. Goto to the end of the file. From the end go up to find a particular text. From this particular text till the end of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashriram
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text in the middle of a file?

Hi, So far i've made a script that takes two argument, 1st is the contents and the 2nd is the named file. At the moment i've managed to insert new contents as a new line at the top, but i want to ask how can you insert contents in the middle of the file? Source Code #!/bin/bash #Write... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zen10
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File - Adding columns in the middle

Hello, I have a comma separated flat file. It contains some 20 columns. I want to add two new columns at position 2,3. So that file will have 22 columns. I am providing here sample data with file having 4 columns. Appreciate your help in finding solution for this. data in input file:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new column in the middle

Hi , I need to add few new columns in existing file .Any help would be great ex: existing file name,typ,add,dept New file(com1,sal are new) name,com1,type,sal,add,dept Thanks, mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)