Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Checking input is Numerical
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking input is Numerical Post 302387848 by ahmad.diab on Monday 18th of January 2010 02:29:49 PM
Old 01-18-2010
if you had searched the forum you could find the script below by Franklin which is better than the above one:-

Code:
#!/bin/bash

shopt -s extglob

INPUT="123"

case $INPUT in
   ( +([[:digit:]])  ) echo "$INPUT is all numbers" ;;
   ( +([[:alpha:]])  ) echo "$INPUT is all characters" ;;
   ( +([[:alnum:]])  ) echo "$INPUT is alphanumeric" ;;
   (                *) echo "$INPUT is empty or something unknown" ;;
esac

exit 0

for the tr -d & if [ -z ]..
just see your system manual using below.

Code:
man if
man tr

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking wether an input is using letters of the alphabet

afternoon forums. I need to get a way of testing as to wether an inputed character is part of the english alphabet. i have come up with the following code but its not working at all. until '] do echo This is not a Letter done any help would be beneficial to me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: strasner
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking input for being numeric and integers

Hi, I'm trying to check to see that the arguments given to my script are both numeric and positive integers. I'm using tcsh. I figured out the positive part, but I am having trouble with the arguments being numeric and integers I have no idea where to get started with the checking them actually... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mistykz
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write shell script for input file name format checking?

Hello, I had written a shell script that accepts input file as cmd line argument and process this file. if ; then if ; then . $1 LOGFILE="$LOG_FILE/MIG_BIOS.log"; get_input_file else ERROR_CODE=MSCRM0005_003 error "$ERROR_CODE : Input file $1 is not available"; exit... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poonamol
3 Replies

4. Programming

Checking columns in SQL, comparing user input and sizes.

I'm writing a KSH shell script that's using SQL though DB2. If I have a table defined and populated db2 "create table tb(num int,letter char(4))" db2 "insert into tb values(111,a) db2 "insert into tb values(112,b) db2 "insert into tb values(111,c) How can I check if a letter user... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: busdude
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking users input to file

ok im sorta stuck on this, The user enters a car model and it has to check it in a text file in the current directory. If the car model is not in the file, user has to enter another model This is what i have so far read -p "Enter a car model: " car1 grep -w $car1=$(cat carMakes.txt)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCSH user input error checking

This was taken down recently because it appeared to be homework, but it isn't. It's for a script I am working on at work. Thanks for the help. How do you check that user inputs (arguments 1 and 2) are both numbers and are at least 5 digits in length? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the file depending on the input variable

Hi I have a requirement of taking time as input variable outside the script.depending on the time it will check the file output .like ./script.sh <30 min> so script.sh should run every 5 minutes ie.6 times to check the output file.Can any one please help here. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: netdbaind
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Validate numerical

friends that way I can validate that the value is numeric taken instance var = 12re if var = numeric then a echo "Numerical else echo "not mumerico" fi edit by bakunin: please use CODE-tags for code, data and terminal output (yourself). (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tricampeon81
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best Alternative for checking input parameter contains required value or not

Any good way to check if code has the required output # /sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 1 /sbin/sysctl net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts | grep "= 1" net.ipv4.icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts = 1 What I can think of is above, and it... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the user input in perl for characters and length

My question is basically as the title says. How can I check a user inputted string is only certain characters long (for example, 3 characters long) and how do I check a user inputted string only contains certain characters (for example, it should only contain the characters 'u', 'a', 'g', and 'c')... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eric1
4 Replies