Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX 6.1 Error - "A file, file system or message queue is no longer available." Post 302387815 by troym72 on Monday 18th of January 2010 01:08:53 PM
Old 01-18-2010
AIX 6.1 Error - "A file, file system or message queue is no longer available."

Getting a strange error with a log file below. This is just a normal text log file that is written to by an application on the server. The applicaiton is down, however, I cannot read, remove or touch this file. The file shows on an ls listing but not an ls -al listing.

The file system is JFS2 on a SAN. AIX 6.1.

Any ideas how I can get rid of this file and its containing directory?

Thanks!

Code:

/>ls
E17Temr.err      E17Temr.log      E17Temr.log.old  exit_log         startup_log

Code:

/>ls -al
ls: 0653-341 The file ./E17Temr.err does not exist.
total 48
drwxrwxr-x    2 hci      staff          4096 Jan 18 09:27 .
drwxrwxr-x   23 hci      staff          4096 Jan 18 09:20 ..
-rw-rw-r--    1 hci      staff            99 Jan 18 09:27 E17Temr.log
-rw-rw-r--    1 hci      staff            99 Jan 18 09:27 E17Temr.log.old
-rw-rw-r--    1 hci      staff            70 Jan 18 09:27 exit_log
-rw-rw-r--    1 hci      staff           245 Jan 18 09:27 startup_log

Code:

/>rm E17Temr.err
rm: E17Temr.err: A file, file system or message queue is no longer available.

Code:

/>touch E17Temr.err
touch E17Temr.err:A file, file system or message queue is no longer available.
touch: 0652-048 Cannot change the modification time on E17Temr.err.

Code:

/>cat E17Temr.err
cat: 0652-050 Cannot open E17Temr.err.

---------- Post updated at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:02 AM ----------

The solution to this problem was to unmount the file system and run a file system check. Appartently either the I-node or direcotory was corrupted.

Thanks,
Troy

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"syntax error at line 21 :'done' unexpected." error message"

I am trying to run the script bellow but its given me "syntax error at line 20 :'done' unexpected." error message" can someone check to see if the script is ok? and correct me pls. Today is my first day with scripting. Gurus should pls help out #!/bin/ksh # Purpose: Check to see if file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Error:"File system full"

Hi, I'm getting an error with my filesystems. After /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7.......................100%............/export/home and #ls -l drwxr----.......................512......TT_DB drw..............................8192.....lost+found drw...............................512......oracle... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bacanaks
10 Replies

4. AIX

AIX cp error: "A file or directory in the path does not exist"

Hello fellow UNIX fans, I'm running AIX 4.3 and getting an error message “cp: /a/file2.db: A file or directory in the path does not exist” when I run the following command: cp /b/file.db /a/file2.db It stops every time about 95% of the way through the copy process at 1,073,741,312 bits. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jackson123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What does "force devmap reload" as in "multipath -r" means for my system and stability of my system?

Cannot present unpresented disks back again. On a test server tried this as a solution "multipath -r" and it worked. Too worried to try it in production before I know all the information. Any info would be appreciated! Also some links to the documentation on this specific issue could help a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsteppe
1 Replies
DOVEADM-LOG(1)							      Dovecot							    DOVEADM-LOG(1)

NAME
doveadm-log - Locate, test or reopen Dovecot's log files SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] log errors doveadm [-Dv] log find [directory] doveadm [-Dv] log reopen doveadm [-Dv] log test DESCRIPTION
The doveadm log commands are used to locate and reopen the log files of dovecot(1). It's also possible to test the configured targets of the *log_path settings. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. COMMANDS
log errors doveadm log errors The log errors command is used to show the last - up to 1,000 - errors and warnings. If no output is generated, no errors have occurred since the last start. log find doveadm log find [directory] The log find command is used to show the location of the log files, to which dovecot(1) sends its log messages. If dovecot(1) logs its messages through syslogd(8) and doveadm(1) could not find any log files, you can specify the directory where your syslogd writes its log files. log reopen doveadm log reopen This command causes doveadm to reopen all log files, configured in the log_path, info_log_path and debug_log_path settings. These settings are configured in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-logging.conf. This is for example useful after manually rotating the log files. log test doveadm log test This command causes doveadm to write the message "This is Dovecot's priority log (timestamp)" to the configured log files. The used prior- ities are: debug, info, warning, error and fatal. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to locate the log files used by dovecot(1). doveadm log find Looking for log files from /var/log Debug: /var/log/dovecot.debug Info: /var/log/mail.log Warning: /var/log/mail.log Error: /var/log/mail.log Fatal: /var/log/mail.log REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1) Dovecot v2.1 2012-02-22 DOVEADM-LOG(1)