Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unzipping files <password protected> Post 302387680 by pludi on Monday 18th of January 2010 02:24:07 AM
Old 01-18-2010
InfoZIP's unzip has the -P parameter:
Quote:
-P password
use password to decrypt encrypted zipfile entries (if any). THIS IS INSECURE! Many multi-user operating systems provide ways for any user to see the current command line of any other user; even on stand-alone systems there is always the threat of over-the-shoulder peeking. Storing the plaintext password as part of a command line in an automated script is even worse. Whenever possible, use the non-echoing, interactive prompt to enter passwords. (And where security is truly important, use strong encryption such as Pretty Good Privacy instead of the relatively weak encryption provided by standard zipfile utilities.)
Check with the man page of your unzip to see if it offers a similar capability.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I inhereted a Unix server that is password protected...Help!

I inhereted a project server that has UNIX installed with a SCO OS. I am trying to learn UNIX but I cannot go beyond the password and login. The original engineers have left the company and nothing was ever written down. How can access our server? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fxsaint
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print on a printer which is password protected

Hi, I am trying to print from HP unix machine to a Toshiba printer which is password protected. How can I print? Thanks. Anuj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anuj
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make script password protected

Hi All, I want to make my script password protected. i e: if somebody runs my script it should prompt for password. Can somebody help me in to execute the same?? Thanks in Advance :b: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: achararun
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make files/folders Password protected

Any idea how to make files/folders password protected... I dont want to change the permissions of the files/folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: know d unknown
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unzipping multiple password-protected files

I am trying to unzip ~150 files on a SUN server in Unix via a telnet program (PuTTy), so I am restricted (I believe) to single-line command functions. All of the files are password protected, and each one contains three files. Is there a way to automate the process? I have tried 7z, but that only... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davman
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get password protected URL folder using PHP fopen function

Hi everybody, Please some help over here, I`m pretty new in PHP. I have a cronrefresh php file within a website, I need this script get infornation from a URL of the site. Part of the script where $URL variable appears is: $fdURL = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM affiliSt_config WHERE name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SSH - Password Protected Directory Issue

I dug myself a hole yesterday that I can't seem to get myself out of. In a very futile attempt to create a new FTP user with limited access via SSH, I inadvertently changed permissions for who knows what and now I am having a problem accessing password protected directories. When I enter the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HiddenColors
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make a password protected bash script resist/refuse “bash -x” when the password is given

I want to give my long scripts to customer. The customer must not be able to read the scripts even if he has the password. The following command locks and unlocks the script but the set +x is simply ignored. The code: read -p 'Script: ' S && C=$S.crypt H='eval "$((dd if=$0 bs=1 skip=//|gpg... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frad
7 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Password protected excel file without encryption or zipping

All, I have requirement to send password protected excel file in an email from unix/linux box without zipping it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Durgesh Gupta
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password protected excel file without encryption or zipping

All, I have requirement to send password protected excel file in an email from unix/linux box without zipping it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Durgesh Gupta
8 Replies
ENIGMA(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ENIGMA(1)

NAME
enigma, crypt -- very simple file encryption SYNOPSIS
enigma [-s] [-k] [password] crypt [-s] [-k] [password] DESCRIPTION
The enigma utility, also known as crypt is a very simple encryption program, working on a ``secret-key'' basis. It operates as a filter, i.e., it encrypts or decrypts a stream of data from standard input, and writes the result to standard output. Since its operation is fully symmetrical, feeding the encrypted data stream again through the engine (using the same secret key) will decrypt it. There are several ways to provide the secret key to the program. By default, the program prompts the user on the controlling terminal for the key, using getpass(3). This is the only safe way of providing it. Alternatively, the key can be provided as the sole command-line argument password when starting the program. Obviously, this way the key can easily be spotted by other users running ps(1). As yet another alternative, enigma can be given the option -k, and it will take the key from the environment variable CrYpTkEy. While this at a first glance seems to be more secure than the previous option, it actually is not since environment variables can also be examined with ps(1). Thus this option is mainly provided for compatibility with other implementations of enigma. When specifying the option -s, enigma modifies the encryption engine in a way that is supposed to make it a little more secure, but incompat- ible with other implementations. Warning The cryptographic value of enigma is rather small. This program is only provided here for compatibility with other operating systems that also provide an implementation (usually called crypt(1) there). For real encryption, refer to bdes(1), openssl(1), pgp(1) (ports/security/pgp), or gpg(1) (ports/security/gnupg). However, restrictions for exporting, importing or using such tools might exist in some countries, so those stronger programs are not being shipped as part of the operating system by default. ENVIRONMENT
CrYpTkEy used to obtain the secret key when option -k has been given EXAMPLES
man enigma | enigma > encrypted Enter key: (XXX -- key not echoed) This will create an encrypted form of this man page, and store it in the file encrypted. enigma XXX < encrypted This displays the previously created file on the terminal. SEE ALSO
bdes(1), gpg(1), openssl(1), pgp(1), ps(1), getpass(3) HISTORY
Implementations of crypt are very common among UNIX operating systems. This implementation has been taken from the Cryptbreakers Workbench which is in the public domain. BSD
May 14, 2004 BSD