Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newline charachter in Ksh-Linux Post 302387644 by Loic Domaigne on Sunday 17th of January 2010 11:15:36 PM
Old 01-18-2010
Hello,

Try:
Code:
echo -e "$String" |\

see man 1 echo

Loïc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting occurences of specific charachter in a file

Hi, I need to count the number of occurences of the character " in a file that contains huge number of records. What command could I use? Please specify in detail since I am new :| Thanks much. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GMMike
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newline character not working for ksh

Newline character "\n" not working for ksh in linux AS 3.0 Command : $echo "Hi\nHi" $Hi\nHi $ Expected output : $echo "Hi\nHi" Hi Hi $ Can some help me on this Thanks in advance Sanish. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanikv
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem escaping newline in ksh

Hi, I did the below. $ print "\\n" $ I am curious, why does \\n give two new lines? I would have thought that the first \ would escape the second \, and so we'd get \n printed. But we didn't. Any ideas? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed ksh remove newline between 2 containers

If we assume that each line between the {} container is an XML document then What I want to remove the newline character from all lines within each container to have one XMDL document per line I wrote a bit of sed after trawling the web: e.g. #!/bin/sed -nf H /}/ { x s/\n//g p... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesJSC
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to cut filename in LINUX ksh

Hi, I need to cut filename in Linux ksh. for example file name is c_xxxx_cp_200908175035.zip. I need to get variable with only c_xxxx_cp value. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: juliyp
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete line upto the nth occurence of a particular charachter.

hi all i want to delete a line upto a particular character. here is example. cp cms/images/wifi-zone.png i want to delete the line till . (cp cms/images/wifi-zone.) so the output wud be "png" only how can i do it? also please note down that dot (.) can also occur multiple... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifv
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert special charachter ^C to new line

Hi, I have a file, which contains ^C or ^A characters from mainfrme system, it's dec 192 or octal 300 hex C0. I want to replace this character with new line. I used commands, but it didn't worked. tr '\o300' '\n' <t >t2 #or tr '\xC0' '\n' <t > t2 Can somebody help me to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnag97
2 Replies

8. Linux

clear in Linux ksh

Clear in Linux #!/usr/bin/ksh am using clear in the script, but it is not working, it gives an error as follows, 'xterm': unknown terminal type. please help out.:confused: ---------- Post updated at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:01 PM ---------- if then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradebban
2 Replies

9. Linux

LINUX Cron Schedule - Newline character issue

we have one simple script that works fine as expected while running it manually. However, it does not work the way it should be when scheduled through CRON. Script: a="Perform" b="Test" output="$a\n$b\n" echo "$output" while executing the above script, it should print the values of a and b... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jansat
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh on UNIX and Linux

Hello, Would the same version of Korn Shell (let's say ksh93) would use the same syntax on UNIX and LINUX and work exactly the same? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdogadin
3 Replies
UPSRW(8)							    NUT Manual								  UPSRW(8)

NAME
upsrw - UPS variable administration tool SYNOPSIS
upsrw ups upsrw -h upsrw -s variable [-u username] [-p password] ups DESCRIPTION
upsrw allows you to view and change the read/write variables inside your UPS. It sends commands via the server upsd(8) to your driver, which configures the hardware for you. The list of variables that allow you to change their values is based on the capabilities of your UPS equipment. Not all models support this feature. Typically, cheaper hardware does not support any of them. Run upsrw with a UPS identifier to see what will work for you. OPTIONS
-h Display the help message. -s variable Specify the variable to be changed inside the UPS. For unattended mode such as in shell scripts, use the format VAR=VALUE to specify both the variable and the value, for example: -s input.transfer.high=129 Without this argument, upsrw will just display the list of the variables and their possible values. Some variables are strings, and can be set to any value within the length limit. Others are enumerated types and can only be set to one of those values. Others may be within an allowed range of values. Refer to the list to know what's available in your hardware. -u username Set the NUT username for the connection to the server. This is optional, and you will be prompted for this when using the -s option if you don't specify -u on the command line. NUT usernames are defined in upsd.users(5), and are not linked to system usernames. -p password Set the password to authenticate to the server. This is also optional like -u, and you will be prompted for it if necessary. ups View or change the settings on this UPS. The format for this option is upsname[@hostname[:port]]. The default hostname is "localhost". UNATTENDED MODE
If you run this program inside a shell script or similar to set variables, you will need to specify all of the information on the command line. This means using -s VAR=VALUE, -u and -p. Otherwise it will put up a prompt and your program will hang. This is not necessary when displaying the list, as the username and password are not required for read-only mode. DIAGNOSTICS
upsrw can't set variables on your UPS unless you provide a valid username and password. If you get "access denied" errors, make sure that your upsd.users(5) has an entry for you, and that the username you are using has permissions to SET variables. HISTORY
This program used to be called upsct2, which was ambiguous and confusing. SEE ALSO
upsd(8), upscmd(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/24/2012 UPSRW(8)