Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Group Exist Scripting
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Group Exist Scripting Post 302387480 by AliC on Saturday 16th of January 2010 07:43:25 AM
Old 01-16-2010
Group Exist Scripting

Hey People,

I've got a question! How can i write a function in a script which is looking for if a group exist and if not, that the group "users" is the standard group..I know that i have to use "grep" und "if-else"..I will be very happy for answers Smilie

Greetz
Ali

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What hapens if a group member doesn't exist?

As part of a NIS implementation, (I think) I want to create a group (in /etc/group) that has users that do not exist on the target machine. What effect will this have? Will it cause any problems? Thanks, Gary Cooper (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gary Cooper
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Validate if user and group exist

I'm kinda new to unix programming so bear with me... I'm running a script prompting a user for an existing user and group and want to be able to validate if they valid. Is there any code available? Any help or push in the right direction would help. Thank you, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thedon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge group numbers and add a column containing group names

I have a file in the following format. Groups of data merge together and the group number is indicated above each group. 1 adrf dfgr dfg 2 dfgr dfgr 3 dfef dfr fd 4 fgrt fgr fgg 5 fgrt fgr (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge group numbers and add a column containing group names

Hi All I do have a file like this with 6 columns. Groups of data merge together and the group number is indicated above each group. 1 1 12 26 289 3.2e-027 GCGTATGGCGGC 2 12 26 215 6.7e+006 TTCCACCTTTTG 3 9 26 175 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing a user that doesnt exist from a group

Hi there, normally if I want to remove a user tht I have added to a specific group, i would do the following this is what my group2 looks like # grep group2 /etc/group group2:x:7777:user2,user1,user4 user1 has been defined in a few groups # id -nG user1 group1 group2 group3 So... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me to perform count & group by operation in shell scripting?

Hi All, I want to display the distinct values in the file and for each distinct value how may occurance or there. Test data: test1.dat 20121105 20121105 20121105 20121105 20121106 20121106 20121106 20121105 I need to display the output like Output (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

Removing LVM Volume Group that doesn't exist anymore

Our SAN administrator decided to unpresent then destroy LUN's we were actively using as a volume group (all PV's in said volume group). Now every time I do a pvscan or whatever it complains about I/O errors trying to access those PV's. How do I get it to forget the VG existed completely? vgreduce... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
7 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Group Doesn't Exist

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I'm able to create a group but when I'm trying to delete the group it keeps stating Group Doesn't Exist. I know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoBoyGo
2 Replies
pwck(1M)                                                  System Administration Commands                                                  pwck(1M)

NAME
pwck, grpck - password/group file checkers SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/pwck [filename] /usr/sbin/grpck [filename] DESCRIPTION
pwck scans the password file and notes any inconsistencies. The checks include validation of the number of fields, login name, user ID, group ID, and whether the login directory and the program-to-use-as-shell exist. The default password file is /etc/passwd. grpck verifies all entries in the group file. This verification includes a check of the number of fields, group name, group ID, whether any login names belong to more than NGROUPS_MAX groups, and that all login names appear in the password file. The default group file is /etc/group. All messages regarding inconsistent entries are placed on the stderr stream. FILES
/etc/group /etc/passwd ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getpwent(3C), group(4), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Group entries in /etc/group with no login names are flagged. Group file 'filename' is empty The /etc/passwd or /etc/group file is an empty file. cannot open file filename: No such file or directory The /etc/passwd or /etc/group file does not exist. NOTES
If no filename argument is given, grpck checks the local group file, /etc/group, and also makes sure that all login names encountered in the checked group file are known to the system getpwent(3C) routine. This means that the login names may be supplied by a network name service. SunOS 5.10 20 Oct 2002 pwck(1M)