Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting empty directories using find Post 302387437 by jpradley on Friday 15th of January 2010 07:13:31 PM
Old 01-15-2010
To delete empty directories under/top/level/dir using find:
Code:
find /top/level/dir/* -type d | xargs rmdir

Last edited by Scott; 01-15-2010 at 08:36 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting the empty files

as of our requiremnt some x no of files will be created from a third party tool ,out of them one or two files will be empty i.e size is 0. so i want to remove those files which are empty. naming of the files which are created will be like this abc_.txt 0 size abc_1.txt 4000 size abc_2.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivsn
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the empty file

Hi, I have a TEST.dat file. As a clean up process, I have to delete the TEST.dat file if it is empty. Basically, I don't want to delete TEST.dat if it contains anything in it but want to delete TEST.dat if it contains any spaces or nothing in it. Is there a command to check if the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting empty files in a directory

Hello Gurus, I want to delete only empty files (files with 0 bytes) at once from the local directory. Rightnow I need to go through all the files one by one manually and check the empty files before deleting them. Is there any unix command that finds and deletes empty files in a directory?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all empty files in sub directories with a command

Hello Friends, Im trying to delete empty files in subdirectories with a command. I can find them checking only one directory in each step and then show them with my command like below moreover i could not add removing part: ls -l */* | awk '{if ($5==0) printf "%3s %2d %s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
5 Replies

5. SCO

Deleting a directory that is not empty

I know someone will probably laugh at this question, I probably knew the answer many years ago when I was doing this full time but here goes..... I have a directory that has many files and sub-directories in it, RMDIR will not delete a directory that is not empty so what is the command to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moondogi
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting all rows with empty columns

I have a text file that looks like this: 1 rs523634 8.22486 1 1 rs585160 8.22488 1 rs497228 8.2249 1 1 rs600933 8.225 1 rs480106 8.22531 1 rs600199 8.22533 1 rs529015 8.22534 1 rs598894 8.22534 I want to delete the rows with empty... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Find and delete empty files and directories

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Need to make a script, to remove all empty files and folders from current category. It also should show the name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Itixop
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting empty folders

Hey, I need help with writing a shell script that deletes empty folders..anyone? :) Thank you! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: putukas
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the directories and deleting with wild card

Hi Firends, I have requirement like find the directories in unix after my my deployment is done. generally my requirement as follows. /data/common/scripts is folder and it has multiple scripts in this path. I have taken the back up of scripts folder as below /data/common/0816_scripts... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Empty Directories

Please help me. How i can find empty directories in solaris?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FoDeGe
4 Replies
JMKMF(1)						      General Commands Manual							  JMKMF(1)

NAME
jmkmf - runs jmake with the correct options SYNOPSIS
jmkmf [ top-level dir [ current dir ] ] DESCRIPTION
Jmkmf is a wrapper which calls jmake with the correct options, defining the symbols TOPDIR (location of the top-level directory) and CURDIR (current directory). The generated Makefile.SH is then ran through /bin/sh to produce a Makefile. Jmkmf is useful when you generate a makefile for the first time. When ran without arguments, jmkmf will scan the directories upwards, looking for a .package file marking the top of your sources. It will then derive the top-level directory and the name of the current directory by itself. Once you have a Makefile.SH generated by jmake, and have run Configure already, you can use make Makefile.SH to build the Makefile.SH again and make Makefile to run the Makefile.SH through /bin/sh. To use the recursive commands, you have to append an 's' at the end of the name as in make Makefiles.SH and make Makefiles. AUTHOR
Raphael Manfredi <ram@hptnos02.grenoble.hp.com> FILES
Jmakefile High level description of makefile The file marking the top of your package tree SEE ALSO
jmake(1), packinit(1). ram JMKMF(1)