Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl script to sort an Excel file Post 302386763 by alister on Wednesday 13th of January 2010 12:32:13 PM
Old 01-13-2010
Hello, degoor:

I tested the code on a text file containing bulgarian (utf-8 encoded) and english, and the code worked correctly. I inspected the byte values using hexdump (od would do) and they confirmed the presence of two byte sequences beginning with 0320-0323 octal. I also double checked your byte ranges using wikipedia/google and U+0400 through U+04FF are indeed cyrillic.

I suggest taking a look at the file using od or hexdump (or a windows hexeditor) to see exactly what's in the file you intend to process with perl/awk.

My sample utf-8 encoded text with cyrillic came from the Columbia UTF-8 sampler, top result when googling "utf-8 sampler". You can test my code against that to confirm that there isn't some other malfunction taking place (perhaps copy-paste mangling, etc).

alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: Split Excel Workbook to Indiv Excel files

Hi, I am trying to find a way to read an excel work book with multiple worksheets. And write each worksheet into a new excel file using perl. My environment is Unix. For example: I have an excel workbook TEST.xls and it has Sheet1, Sheet2, Sheet3 worksheets. I would like to create... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep78
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort columns in excel(csv) file

i want sort columns with headers based on another file headers file1 eg: i'm having an empty file with only coumn names like lastname firstname title expirydate stlcno status etc... another file with same column names and some other as well but in different order... file2 eg:firstname... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Man83Nagesh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort Excel File

Hi, I am new to scripting. I have a requirement 1.convert excel 2007 format to excel 2003 fromat 2.sort the excel file -( all columns in descending order). This needs to be done progarmmatically. Please let me know what would be the possible steps that I would need to take inorder to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eva13
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Perl Script to read an excel file into an array and search in the UNIX directories

Hi, I want the Perl script with versions 5.8.2 and 5.8.5 starting with #!/usr/bin/perl The Perl program should read the excel file or text file line by line and taking into an array and search in the UNIX directories for reference file of .jsp or .js or .xsl with path .The Object names... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasam
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing excel file using perl : Excel file formatting changed

I am trying to create a program where user can input data in certain excel cells using user interface on internet....the programming is on perl and server is unix But when i parse data into excel the formatting of sheets is turned to default and all macro coding removed. What to do...Please... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mud_born
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to Merge contents of 2 different excel files in a single excel file

All, I have an excel sheet Excel1.xls that has some entries. I have one more excel sheet Excel2.xls that has entries only in those cells which are blank in Excel1.xls These may be in different workbooks. They are totally independent made by 2 different users. I have placed them in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anamika08
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate Excel file or to SQL output data to Excel format/tabular format

Hi , i am generating some data by firing sql query with connecting to the database by my solaris box. The below one should be the header line of my excel ,here its coming in separate row. TO_CHAR(C. CURR_EMP_NO ---------- --------------- LST_NM... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dani1234
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tabbed multiple csv files into one single excel file with using shell script not perl

Hi Experts, I am querying backup status results for multiple databases and getting each and every database result in one csv file. so i need to combine all csv files in one excel file with separate tabs. I am not familiar with perl script so i am using shell script. Could anyone please... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramakrk2
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to fill the entire row of Excel file with color based on pattern match

Hi All , I have to write one Perl script in which I need to read one pre-existing xls and based on pattern match for one word in some cells of the XLS , I need to fill the entire row with one color of that matched cell and write the content to another excel Please find the below stated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to sort a column in excel/csv file?

I have to sort the 4th column of an excel/csv file. I tried the following command sort -u --field-separator=, --numeric-sort -k 2 -n dinesh.csv > test.csv But, it's not working. Moreover, I have to do the same for more than 30 excel/csv file. So please help me to do the same. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
6 Replies
TABMERGE(1p)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      TABMERGE(1p)

NAME
tabmerge - unify delimited files on common fields SYNOPSIS
tabmerge [action] [options] file1 file2 [...] Actions: --min Take only fields present in all files [DEFAULT] --max Take all fields present -f|--fields=f1[,f2] Take only the fields mentioned in the comma-separated list Options: -l|--list List available fields --fs=x Use "x" as the field separator (default is tab " ") --rs=x Use "x" as the record separator (default is newline " ") -s|--sort=f1[,f2] Sort data ASCII-betically on field(s) --stdout Print data in original delimited format (i.e., not in a table format) --help Show brief help and quit --man Show full documentation DESCRIPTION
This program merges the fields -- not the rows -- of delimited text files. That is, if several files are almost but not quite entirely unlike each other in their structure (in their field names, numbers or orders), this script allows you to easily unify the files into one file with all the same fields. The output can be based on fields as determined by the three "action" flags. For the following examples, consider three files that contain the following fields: +------------+---------------------------------+ | File | Fields | +------------+---------------------------------+ | merge1.tab | name, type, position | | merge2.tab | name, type, position, lod_score | | merge3.tab | name, position | +------------+---------------------------------+ To list all available fields in the files and the number of times they are present: $ tabmerge --list merge* +-----------+-------------------+ | Field | No. Times Present | +-----------+-------------------+ | lod_score | 1 | | name | 3 | | position | 3 | | type | 2 | +-----------+-------------------+ To merge the files on the minimum overlapping fields: $ tabmerge merge* +----------+----------+ | name | position | +----------+----------+ | RM104 | 2.30 | | RM105 | 4.5 | | TX5509 | 10.4 | | UU189 | 19.0 | | Xpsm122 | 3.3 | | Xpsr9556 | 4.5 | | DRTL | 2.30 | | ALTX | 4.5 | | DWRF | 10.4 | +----------+----------+ To merge the files and include all the fields: $ tabmerge --max merge* +-----------+----------+----------+--------+ | lod_score | name | position | type | +-----------+----------+----------+--------+ | | RM104 | 2.30 | RFLP | | | RM105 | 4.5 | RFLP | | | TX5509 | 10.4 | AFLP | | 2.4 | UU189 | 19.0 | SSR | | 1.2 | Xpsm122 | 3.3 | Marker | | 1.2 | Xpsr9556 | 4.5 | Marker | | | DRTL | 2.30 | | | | ALTX | 4.5 | | | | DWRF | 10.4 | | +-----------+----------+----------+--------+ To merge and extract just the "name" and "type" fields: $ tabmerge -f name,type merge* +----------+--------+ | name | type | +----------+--------+ | RM104 | RFLP | | RM105 | RFLP | | TX5509 | AFLP | | UU189 | SSR | | Xpsm122 | Marker | | Xpsr9556 | Marker | | DRTL | | | ALTX | | | DWRF | | +----------+--------+ To merge the files on just the "name" and "lod_score" fields and sort on the name: $ tabmerge -f name,lod_score -s name merge* +----------+-----------+ | name | lod_score | +----------+-----------+ | ALTX | | | DRTL | | | DWRF | | | RM104 | | | RM105 | | | TX5509 | | | UU189 | 2.4 | | Xpsm122 | 1.2 | | Xpsr9556 | 1.2 | +----------+-----------+ To do the same but mimic the original tab-delimited input: $ tabmerge -f name,lod_score -s name --stdout merge* name lod_score ALTX DRTL DWRF RM104 RM105 TX5509 UU189 2.4 Xpsm122 1.2 Xpsr9556 1.2 Why would you want to do this? Suppose you have several delimited text files with nearly the same structure and want to create just one file from them, but the fields may be in a different order in each file and/or some files may contain more or fewer fields than others. (As far-fetched as it may seem, it happens to the author more than he'd like.) SEE ALSO
o Text::RecordParser o Text::TabularDisplay AUTHOR
Ken Youens-Clark <kclark@cpan.org>. LICENSE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006-10 Ken Youens-Clark. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. perl v5.10.1 2010-07-26 TABMERGE(1p)