Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Building a Unix Server from Scratch? Post 302386718 by pludi on Wednesday 13th of January 2010 09:34:50 AM
Old 01-13-2010
What do you mean "build from scratch"?
Build the system from source? Take a look at Linux from scratch
Build your own Unix-like OS? Learn from Minix
Assemble the hardware yourself? There's probably not much we can help you with until you've decided what you want/need.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

building a server

hi, i am a pretty good linux user..but i have no idea on building a server witha domain and everthing. please help! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamza11050
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Building UX Server for Dev Environment

Hello. I am asked to build a new UNIX Server for Development environment before we could ask the high level experts to build production environment. Could you please let me know what all must I have to know and the steps inorder to build ux server? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: panchpan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix from scratch

hi all, i'm trying to write a unix system from scratch (not re-writing the kernel) does anyone have information about that? tips and stuff...?i would appreciate every help, thnks :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Building from scratch - UNIX

Hi! Any knows if Unix (from IBM, Sun, HP, etc) is picky on hardwares? I mean, installing Unix (not Linux) on a custom build system? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: genesisX
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Building New server Using ufsrestore

Hi Guys, Marry X-MAX in advance :) I would like to build a new server using ufsdump/ufsrestore. Both the servers are identical hardware and model. I am using Solaris 10 X86 O/S. I am having ufsdump "mydump.rootdump.gz" in a Central NFS server. What I did:- I took backup of root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SanjayLinux
3 Replies

6. Web Development

Building a video server.

I have been given the task of building a video server that has basic video editing capabilities through a web interface. Something like what jaycut.com does. Right now we use FFmpeg on one of our servers to do command line editing and conversion but we want to make it super simple so that normal... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcraul
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in server building process.

Hi, I am fresher in Unix and hence need your help in understanding the basic concepts in Server Building. Please guide me with the next steps in building our own server after Assembling hardware and installing OS. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: laxmi Sharma
1 Replies

8. Web Development

Building LAMP server from scratch (build a server with compiled LAMP from CentOS mini)

Hello everyone, I would like to setup a lamp server from a minimal distro and to compile PHP, MySQL and Apache myself. I have chosen CentOS minimal for the OS and I am trying to build the stack by hand... But well, it appears I need some help! First: I am looking for good and recent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freddie50
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Books to learn UNIX Scripting from Scratch

Hi All, I am quite new to UNIX Scripting and want to learn it from scratch, a book which gives lot of examples, how to troubleshoot, how to run etc.. would be great. Need help from all the experts out there to suggest one book to start with. Regards, Vikas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_chengdu
4 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Building a NAS server

Hello, I am planning to build a NAS server next week and i was wondering which OS to use. As i see the two most common are FreeNAS and Ubuntu server + samba. What do you think?Do you hava any experience on that?Any other idea? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
5 Replies
Server(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       Server(3pm)

NAME
Net::SMTP::Server - A native Perl SMTP Server implementation for Perl. SYNOPSIS
use Carp; use Net::SMTP::Server; use Net::SMTP::Server::Client; use Net::SMTP::Server::Relay; $server = new Net::SMTP::Server('localhost', 25) || croak("Unable to handle client connection: $! "); while($conn = $server->accept()) { # We can perform all sorts of checks here for spammers, ACLs, # and other useful stuff to check on a connection. # Handle the client's connection and spawn off a new parser. # This can/should be a fork() or a new thread, # but for simplicity... my $client = new Net::SMTP::Server::Client($conn) || croak("Unable to handle client connection: $! "); # Process the client. This command will block until # the connecting client completes the SMTP transaction. $client->process || next; # In this simple server, we're just relaying everything # to a server. If a real server were implemented, you # could save email to a file, or perform various other # actions on it here. my $relay = new Net::SMTP::Server::Relay($client->{FROM}, $client->{TO}, $client->{MSG}); } DESCRIPTION
The Net::SMTP::Server module implements an RFC 821 compliant SMTP server, completely in Perl. It's extremely extensible, so adding in things like spam filtering, or more advanced routing and handling features can be easily handled. An additional module, Net::SMTP::Server::Relay has also been implemented as an example of just one application of this extensibility. See the pod for more details on that module. This extension has been tested on both Unix and Win32 platforms. Creating a new server is as trivial as: $server = new Net::SMTP::Server($host, $port); This creates a new SMTP::Server. Both $host and $port are optional, and default to the current hostname and the standard SMTP port(25). However, if you run on a multi-homed machine, you may want to explicitly specify which interface to bind to. The server loop should look something like this: while($conn = $server->accept()) { my $client = new Net::SMTP::Server::Client($conn) || croak("Unable to handle client connection: $! "); $client->process; } The server will continue to accept connections forever. Once we have a connection, we create a new Net::SMTP::Server::Client. This is a new client connection that will now be handled. The reason why processing doesn't begin here is to allow for any extensibility or hooks a user may want to add in after we've accepted the client connection, but before we give the initial welcome message to the client. Once we're ready to process an SMTP session, we call $client->process. This may HANG while the SMTP transaction takes place, as the client and server are communicating back and forth (and if there's a lot of data to transmit, well...). Once $client->process returns, various fields have been filled in. Those are: $client->{TO} -- This is an array containing the intended recipients for this message. There may be multiple recipients for any given message. $client->{FROM} -- This is the sender of the given message. $client->{MSG} -- The actual message data. :) The SMTP::Server module performs no other processing for the user. It's meant to give you the building blocks of an extensible SMTP server implementation. For example, using the MIME modules, you can easily process $client->{MSG} to handle MIME attachments, etc. Or you could implement ACLs to control who can connect to the server, or what actions are taken. Finally, a suggested use that the author himself uses, is as an SMTP relay. There are lots of times I need access to an SMTP server just to send a message, but don't have access to one for whatever reason (firewalls, permissions, etc). You can run your own SMTP server whether under Unix or Win32 environments, and simply point your favorite mail client to it when sending messages. See the Net::SMTP::Server::Relay modules for details on that use. AUTHOR AND COPYRIGHT Net::SMTP::Server / SMTP::Server is Copyright(C) 1999, MacGyver (aka Habeeb J. Dihu) <macgyver@tos.net>. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. You may distribute this package under the terms of either the GNU General Public License or the Artistic License, as specified in the Perl README file. SEE ALSO
Net::SMTP::Server::Client, Net::SMTP::Server::Relay perl v5.10.1 1999-12-28 Server(3pm)