Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Best practice for bracket comparisons? Post 302386513 by tlarkin on Tuesday 12th of January 2010 03:26:16 PM
Old 01-12-2010
Thanks for your reply, but still got a few questions...

According to this document, which I have used to teach myself shell programming, [[ and [ have different abilities in bash.

Quote:
Using the [[ ... ]] test construct, rather than [ ... ] can prevent many logic errors in scripts. For example, the &&, ||, <, and > operators work within a [[ ]] test, despite giving an error within a [ ] construct.
source: Test Constructs

I have also read that = is used for an integer comparison and == is used for a string comparison, but it also says that "=" and "==" are synonyms in that same document. So the double ='s is probably unneeded I take it, but still allowed?

I have been programming in shell for a while now and am just trying to clean up my bad habits, if any to become a more efficient coder. I ended up not hard coding the variable in either, and put the command in the comparison. The script works as I wrote it, but I am getting an odd exit status error when running it in the terminal.

Thanks again for your time.

Tom

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can grep do numerical comparisons?

Say for example I have a list of numbers.. 5 10 13 48 1 could I use grep to show only those numbers that are above 10? For various reasons I can only use grep... not awk or sed etc. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uss_Defiant
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

numeric range comparisons

I have two files.And a sort of matrix analysis. Both files have a string followed by two numbers: File 1: A 2 7 B 3 11 C 5 10 ...... File 2: X 1 10 Y 3 5 Z 5 9 What I'd like to do is for each set of numbers in the second file indicate if the first or second number (or both) in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command comparisons

Hi guys, Im trying to figure out what is the difference between using a | and the command xargs ... examples of usage: 1) ls * | wc -w => this gives you the number of files in the current directory including all subdirectories 2) find . “*.log” | xargs grep ERROR => this gives... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avidrunner
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh, difference between double bracket and single bracket

Can somebody tell me the difference between double brackets and single brackets, when doing a test. I have always been acustomed to using single brackets and have not encountered any issues to date. Why would somebody use double brackets. Ie if ] vs if Thanks to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String comparisons

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with this stings comparison? #!/bin/sh #set -xv set -u VAR=$(ping -c 5 -w 10 google.com | grep icmp_req=5 | awk '{print $6}') echo I like cookies echo $VAR if "$VAR" == 'icmp_req=5' then echo You Rock else echo You Stink fiThis is the error.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date comparisons

Hi, I want to perform a simple date comparisons, i.e. select all files modified after a certain date (say 12-feb-2011) I do not have the option of creating a file and using find's -newer option. Any simple way to do this? I can do this by reading the stat command's output and comparing... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File and if statement comparisons

I'd love to get help on this one please. Ok so say I have a file called README with lines such as this: index:index.html required:file1.1:file2.1:file3.1 I'm having trouble with writing an if statement that compares the items in a list with a file inside README, what I imagine in my head... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mistsong1
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pair wise comparisons

Hi, I have 25 groups and I need to perform all possible pairwise compariosns between them using the formula n(n-1)/2. SO in my case it will be 25(25-1)/2 which is equal to 300 comparisons. my 25 groups are FG1 FG2 FG3 FG4 FG5 NT5E CD44 CD44 CD44 AXL ADAM19 CCDC80 L1CAM L1CAM CD44... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Diya123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File comparisons

Hi all, I want to compare two files based on column value Kindly help me a.txt 123,ABCD 456,DEF 789,SDF b.txt 123,KJI 456,LMN 321,MJK 678,KOL Output file should be like Common on both files c.txt 123,ABCD,KJI (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String regex comparisons

Here is the sample code: str1="abccccc" str2="abc?" if ]; then echo "same string" else echo "different string" fi Given that ? implies 0 or 1 match of preceding character, I was expecting the output to be "different string", but I am seeing "same string". Am I not using the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rameshck
3 Replies
LDP(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    LDP(7)

NAME
LDP - Intro to the Linux Documentation Project, with help, guides and documents SYNOPSIS
The Linux Documentation Project (LDP) provides a variety of free documentation resources including guides, FAQs, HOWTOs, and man-pages to the Linux community. AUTHORS
The various documents in the LDP archives are maintained by individual authors, and are listed in the beginning of each HOWTO. If you have any questions or inputs to a document we encourage you to contact the authors directly. WEB PAGES
The LDP has its own dedicated web site as do many of the various translations projects which are linked from the main LDP web site at: http://www.tldp.org/ MAN PAGES
A web page with status information for manual pages and translations is found at: http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/man/ MAILING LISTS
LDP has a number of mailing lists, such as <announce@en.tlpd.org> Announcements from the LDP project <discuss@en.tldp.org> General discussion on the LDP project <docbook@en.tldp.org> Questions about the use of DocBook For subscription information, see the website. If you are interested in DocBook beyond the simple markup of your LDP document, you may want to consider joining one of the OASIS DocBook mailing lists. Please see http://docbook.org/mailinglist/index.html for more information. FILES
Most distributions include the HOWTOs and mini-HOWTOs in the installation /usr/doc/ (old place for documentation) /usr/share/doc/ (new place for documentation) /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/ (HOWTO files) /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/mini/ (mini-HOWTO files) SEE ALSO
info(1), man(1), xman(1x) info pages as read with emacs(1) or info(1) LDP
2001-11-15 LDP(7)