Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating File using the CAT Command Post 302386385 by Ravi Pavanv on Tuesday 12th of January 2010 10:10:16 AM
Old 01-12-2010
Creating File using the CAT Command

Hello ,

I am newbie to UNIX platform .
I have read that there are two ways of creating files that is using
1.) Cat 2.) touch .

With Cat Command i am unable to create a File , i is saying No file or Directory exists

I logged in with root as user .

please help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating file of 1MB using shell command?

Hi everybody in the forum, I want to create an empty file of say some 1MB ,i mean at the command line itself.How is this possible??????EEK! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a file that contains output from a command, and then displays itself

hey, I'm trying to create the command that will create a file named user.txt that contains the output of the command cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd, and displays itself afterwards. I don't know how to bridge cat > user.txt with cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd, or how display it afterwards. Any help would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidkridley
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extra control characters being added when I create a file using cat command

Hi, I am using Cygwin.I created a new file and type into it using cat > newfile. When I open this using vi editor, it contains loads of extra control characters. Whats happening? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erora
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stuck in editing file with cat command

Hi, While editing a small text file with cat command i pressed ctrl-d to send eof, instead of coming out of cat command it echoed ^D to the screen. Same thing is happening to ctrl-c. After googling i found this is because of trap. The problem is i m stuck in editing mode and cannot get the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TITANIUM
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

format values in a text file using cat command

Hello... Is it possible that we can change the format of the values we entered in a text file using cat? Like for example, I will create a text file names.txt using cat and as I save the names and view the text file... the format will be like this ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpopfreakghecky
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat Command on File not printing "Blank" Lines?

Hello All, I have a bash script and in it at some point I call an Expect Script that does some stuff and saves its output in a ".txt" file. Example "/path/to/my/file/Expect_Output.txt" file: notice the 2nd line is empty in the file... Data for Host-1 (192.168.1.110) Checking the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cat command drops lines in output file

I use the cat command to concatenate text files, but one of the rows I was expecting doesn't display in the output file. Is there a verbose mode\logging mechanism for the cat command to help me investigate where the lines I was expecting are going?? cat 7760-001_1_*_06_*.txt | grep -v... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xin Xin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat command not working to display Mac file in Ubuntu

Hi, Recently I got a .txt file from Mac user. when I try to open it in my Ubuntu machine using cat command it is not displaying any content of file however I can see the content using vi. Anyone know How to see its content using cat as I have to process it in my shell script. Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Creating file and passing argument to a command

Hi All, I am having command to run which will take argument as input file. Right now we are creating the input file by cat and executing the command ftptransfer -i input file cat >input file file1 file2 cntrl +d Is there a way I can do that in a single command like ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1)                                                    User Commands                                                   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnomevfs-cat(1)