Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting foreach variable used in awk (please help!!) Post 302386220 by Scott on Monday 11th of January 2010 07:11:58 PM
Old 01-11-2010
Hi.

This is in awk (nothing CSH about it):

Code:
$ awk 'NR == FNR { A[$2] = NR; next } A[$1] { print A[$1]}' map.txt markers

For both, you could use:
Code:
grep -f markers -n file1
2:rs913257
6:rs1018390
7:rs764180

Last edited by Scott; 01-11-2010 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Updated because the question changed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define two variable in foreach command??

Hello, I just want to know how If it's possiple to define 2 variable using foreach command ??? I have directory inside that directory around 1000 file, I want to rename all of this files to something I have it in a list. Example :- ------This is what in my directory---------- d1 d2... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: geoquest
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP with AWK one-liner. Need to employ an If condition inside AWK to check for array variable ?

Hello experts, I'm stuck with this script for three days now. Here's what i need. I need to split a large delimited (,) file into 2 files based on the value present in the last field. Samp: Something.csv bca,adc,asdf,123,12C bca,adc,asdf,123,13C def,adc,asdf,123,12A I need this split... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_boy23
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print variable then fields in variable

i have this variable: varT="1--2--3--5" i want to use awk to print field 3 from this variable. i dont want to do the "echo $varT". but here's my awk code: awk -v valA="$varT" "BEGIN {print valA}" this prints the entire line. i feel like i'm so close to getting what i want. i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 variable in a list with foreach

cat file1 a b c d e f this is what is in my script foreach i (`cat file1`) foreach j (`cat file1`) #do something here end end basically i want to compare ab, ac, ad, ae, af, ba, bc, bd, be.... and also skipping aa,bb if possible.. if that anyway for me to just use 1 foreach? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctphua
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading foreach variable from a text file

Hello, I have a text file named "foreach.txt" which reads like --- foreach cal ( 1 2 3 4 5 ) I am using a simple script which looks like --- #!/bin/tcsh foreach cal (1 2 3 4 5) echo "$cal" end Is it possible to modify the script in such a way that instead of writing foreach cal (1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grepping for one variable while using awk to parse an associated variable

Im trying to search for a single variable in the first field and from that output use awk to extract out the lines that contain a value less than a value stored in another variable. Both the variables are associated with each other. Any guidance is appreciated. File that contains the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)