Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers compare 2 very large lists of different length Post 302385947 by uiop44 on Sunday 10th of January 2010 08:26:58 PM
Old 01-10-2010
Gaurav

Thank you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare lists of files

If I had a list of numbers in two different files, what would be the fastest and easiest way to find out which numbers in list B are not in list A without reading each number in list B one at a time and using grep thousands of times against list A? I have two very long lists of numbers and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed working on lines of small length and not large length

Hi , I have a peculiar case, where my sed command is working on a file which contains lines of small length. sed "s/XYZ:1/XYZ:3/g" abc.txt > xyz.txt when abc.txt contains lines of small length(currently around 80 chars) , this sed command is working fine. when abc.txt contains lines of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compare 2 lists using a full and/or partial match at beginning of line?

hello all, I wonder if anybody might be able to help with this. I have file 1 and file2. Both files may contain thousands of lines that have variable contents. file1 234GH 5234BTW 89er 678tfg 234 234YT tfg456 wert 78gt gh23444 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Garrred
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make bash wrapper for java/groovy program with variable length arguments lists?

The following bash script does not work because the java/groovy code always thinks there are four arguments even if there are only 1 or 2. As you can see from my hideous backslashes, I am using cygwin bash on windows. export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

5. Programming

Python: Compare 2 word lists

Hi. I am trying to write a Python programme that compares two different text files which both contain a list of words. Each word has its own line worda wordb wordc I want to compare textfile 2 with textfile 1, and if there's a word in textfile 2 that is NOT in textfile 1, I want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bloomy
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison between 2 large lists with Getting VALUES from one into the other

hi, I have 2 large lists: LIST A: containes 6 fields of many entries (VARIABLE number), like: 2011-07-10 | 18:19:47 | 38037300 | 9647808003122 | 2 | success LIST B: containes 3 fields & 183 entries (FIXED number), like: 9647805651885 9647805651885 SCP_10 What I want is a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amurib
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to compare two lists

Hi, I do little bash scripting so sorry for my ignorance. How do I compare if the two variable not match and if they do not match run a command. I was thinking a for loop but then I need another for loop for the 2nd list and I do not think that would work as in the real world there could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GermanJulian
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two lists with perl

Hi everybody! I'm trying to delete some elements from a list with two elements on each row agreeing with the elements in another list. Pratically I want a perl script able to take each element of the second list (that is a single column list), compare it with both elements of each row from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabrysfe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two lists on two files

I have two files A and B listing ip addresses and all the ip addresses in B are in A, and A includes other ip addresses now I want to get the list of the ip addresses that are in A but not in B how to achieve this? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: esolvepolito
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

[Python] Compare 2 lists

Hello, I'm new to the python programming, and I have a question. I have to write a program that prints a receipt for a restaurant. The input is a list which looks like: product1 product3 product8 .... In the other input file there is a list which looks like: product1 coffee 5,00... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dagendy
1 Replies
american-english-large(5)					   Users' Manual					 american-english-large(5)

NAME
american-english-large - a list of English words DESCRIPTION
/usr/share/dict/american-english-large is an ASCII file which contains an alphabetic list of words, one per line. FILES
There may be any number of word lists in /usr/share/dict/. /etc/dictionaries-common/words is a symbolic link to the currently-chosen /usr/share/dict/<language> file. /usr/share/dict/words is a symbolic link to /etc/dictionaries-common/words, and is the name by which other software should refer to the system word list. See select-default-wordlist(8) for more information, and/or to change the currently- chosen word list. The directory /usr/share/dict can contain word lists for many languages, with name of the language in English, e.g., /usr/share/dict/french and /usr/share/dict/danish contain respectively lists of French and Danish words if they exist. Such lists should be coded using the ISO 8859-1 character set encoding. SEE ALSO
ispell(1), select-default-wordlist(8), and the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard. HISTORY
The words lists are not specific, and may be generated from any number of sources. The system word list used to be /usr/dict/words. For compatibility, software should check that location if /usr/share/dict/words does not exist. AUTHOR
Word lists are collected and maintained by various authors. The Debian English word lists are built from the SCOWL (Spell- Checker Ori- ented Word Lists) package, whose upstream editor is Kevin Atkinson <kevina@users.sourceforge.net>. Debian 16 June 2003 american-english-large(5)