Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Trouble logging in with username and password Post 302385936 by ilikecows on Sunday 10th of January 2010 06:09:00 PM
Old 01-10-2010
My password is correct, current, and not locked because I can log into any other machine on the network using the LDAP account with no problem. I even double checked the LDAP account via DSCC. The machine is having the same problem with an account on its local passwd and shadow files and I changed the password the other day. I checked the shadow file and the local wasn't locked or expired either.

I am at a loss at this point.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

username password in script

Can we write a script to telnet to a unix server from unix with the username and password hardcoded in the script?? something like ssh a@b -p password ??? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: roshanjain2
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Download username and password

I am trying to download from ftp server (rsync and postfix). But every time I connect to the ftp server, it prompts for USER and PASS but I don't know which username and and password to use. And I am using command based UNIX OS. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarrana
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Having a bit of trouble logging in.

It allowed me on, to change my password, but when I log out and log back in, it complains that it can't display the webpage. This happens in both Firefox and IE. I am puzzled. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: billshaw
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i hide username/password

hi all, i run sqlplus command on unix(HP-UX) like "sqlplus username/password@serverA @deneme.sql" but when someone run "ps -ef | grep sqlplus", it can see my username and password :( How can i hide username and password. thanx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: temhem
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Login through SFTP using username and password

Hi All, I want to login to a server through SFTP by giving username and password, in an automated script. I know that this can be done through public key authentication, but my requirement is to login ONLY through username and password. I am using GNU/Linux server. Please advise me !!!... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Username and password

Hi I am new to using unix and am struggling with a script i am writing. What i am trying to do is get a user to enter a username, check the original file i created with username and pin to see if their is a corresponding entry. Next ask the user to enter the pin and see if this matches... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you reset username/password

Picked up a 3b2 running System V. Works fine, but it requires a username and password. Is the username "root" or "sysadm"? How do I find out and how to I reset it or bypass it? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TanRuNomad
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging in with Username/Password on one line

Hello, I am currently working on a project that requires me to remote login into another UNIX system using different credentials. The problem is that progamatically I cannot simply feed the password into the UNIX system. Is there a way to feed the password within one command line statement. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: myoung88
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Trouble logging in

We had a requirement to upgrade to Solaris 10 update 10. This was done to impose new password restrictions. So if I am logged into a machine with the new Solaris, the shadow file looks like this: user:BnkEzDH.TQR2c:15734:7:60::35:: If I change the password: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Steps after username and password is entered !

Hi, I know this sounds crazy question.. but I am just curious to know what happens next when I enter username and password and hit enter on a new Unix session (using Putty)? I mean which file gets executed, how the default login shell is determined etc... regards juzz4fun (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
5 Replies
userdel(8)						      System Manager's Manual							userdel(8)

NAME
userdel - delete an user account SYNOPSIS
userdel [-D binddn] [-P path] [-r[-f]] [--service service] [--help] [-u] [-v] account DESCRIPTION
userdel deletes an user account from the local system files or a LDAP database and removes all entries that refer to account from the group database. Before the account is removed, the USERDEL_PRECMD command as defined in login.defs(5) is called, after removal the USERDEL_POSTCMD command is called. OPTIONS
-r, --remove-home Remove the whole home directory and the mail spool of the specified account. Files located in other directories will have to be searched for and deleted manually. -f, --force This option is used to force the removal of files, even if not owned by the account. --service service Add the account to a special directory. The default is files, but ldap is also valid. -D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd and shadow files are located below the specified directory path. chpasswd will use this files, not /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. --help Print a list of valid options with a short description. -u, --usage Print a short list of valid options. -v, --version Print the version number and exit. FILES
passwd - user account information shadow - shadow user account information group - group information SEE ALSO
passwd(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5), shadow(5), useradd(8), usermod(8) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils October 2003 userdel(8)