Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to skip lines which don't begin with a number Post 302385774 by alister on Saturday 9th of January 2010 06:15:13 PM
Old 01-09-2010
Code:
awk '$1 ~ /^[0-9]+$/ {print >> "num"; next} {print >> "alpha"}' "$1"

The first "$1" is internal to awk and refers to the first field in the line. The second instance of "$1" is unrelated and is the shell positional parameter containing your file's name.

num=name of output file with numeric first fields
alpha=name of output file with all other lines

Regards,
alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

skip reading certain lines in a file

How can I exclude reading lines in a file that contains the following: filesystem:/home/pach/liv_patches 128005120 88456640 37270758 71% /home/patches That is, all lines that contain and begins with filesystem: should not be processed/read from a file (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulsew
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to skip lines in a KSH?

hi, I have a shell script that searches for a particular pattern in all the files inside a directory, and gives the count of that pattern occurences in a file. Now i should not count the pattern if it exists in side a { .... }, as shown below. { ...... ..... .... PATTERN1.......... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: divak
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - skip x lines and ssh

Im trying to ssh to a remote machine to grep 'x info' *.log and Im able to get the grep output as expected but "after" the policies (1st 14 lines) - I need to skip the first 14 lines. Its SunOS. Plz help??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anthonyraj75
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract consecutive lines that begin with a character

Hello, From a sample file below, I would like to extract only consecutive lines that begin with a '$'. How can I do this? $ABC.1 XYGHGHGHHG $ABC.2 RSTUVBWBB $ABC.3 87908787798798 $QRS.5 $RST.6 679707097 $LmN.4 hgkhgh $QRS.5 $ABC.9 Thanks in advance for your help! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to create lines from ones that begin with the field separator

Hello, I need to modify an awk script to recognize the last field $NF when the line is split over more than 1 line. In my input file the field separator is the exclamation mark ! so FS="!" So here is my input file infile.txt, it has 2 records, the field separator is in bold: INPUT ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

skip lines while reading a file

Hi Experts, I am tryin to read a file and while doing so i need to skip the lines which start with a hash (#) char. I thought of using a goto command but a lot of guys on this site say its not the good way to program. Moreover I am using a ksh shell which deos not support goto command. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bankimmehta
4 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Music Organizer Script. Don't know where to begin.

I'm having problems with this assignment. I know how to do these basic unix "if" and "then" statements) What I am having trouble with is putting my script together. I started with #!/bin/bash and not sure how to continue. I have to indicate the source and destination folders, and make each a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulib00n
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter file by length, looking only at lines that don't begin with ">"

I have a file that stores data in pairs of lines, following this format: line 1: header (preceded by ">") line 2: sequence Example.txt: >seq1 name GATTGATGTTTGAGTTTTGGTTTTT >seq2 name TTTTCTTC I want to filter out the sequences and corresponding headers for all sequences that are less... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Skip x Number of Lines in Counter

Hello, I am new to AWK and in UNIX in general. I am hoping you can help me out here. Here is my data: root@ubuntu:~# cat circuits.list WORD1 AA BB CC DD Active ISP1 ISP NAME1 XX-XXXXXX1 WORD1 AA BB CC (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tattoostreet
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to skip lines find text and add text based on number

I am trying to use awk skip each line with a ## or # and check each line after for STB= and if that value in greater than or = to 0.8, then at the end of line the text "STRAND BIAS" is written in else "GOOD". So in the file of 4 entries attached. awk tried: awk NR > "##"' "#" -F"STB="... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
SQL::ReservedWords::DB2(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      SQL::ReservedWords::DB2(3pm)

NAME
SQL::ReservedWords::DB2 - Reserved SQL words by DB2 SYNOPSIS
if ( SQL::ReservedWords::DB2->is_reserved( $word ) ) { print "$word is a reserved DB2 word!"; } DESCRIPTION
Determine if words are reserved by DB2. METHODS
is_reserved( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by either DB2 5, 6, 7 or 8. is_reserved_by_db2v5( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by DB2 5. is_reserved_by_db2v6( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by DB2 6. is_reserved_by_db2v7( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by DB2 7. is_reserved_by_db2v8( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by DB2 8. reserved_by( $word ) Returns a list with DB2 versions that reserves $word. words Returns a list with all reserved words. EXPORTS
Nothing by default. Following subroutines can be exported: is_reserved is_reserved_by_db2v5 is_reserved_by_db2v6 is_reserved_by_db2v7 is_reserved_by_db2v8 reserved_by words SEE ALSO
SQL::ReservedWords <http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/> AUTHOR
Christian Hansen "chansen@cpan.org" COPYRIGHT
This program is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-28 SQL::ReservedWords::DB2(3pm)