Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Linux Storage system: looking for advices Post 302385275 by Loic Domaigne on Thursday 7th of January 2010 04:15:48 PM
Old 01-07-2010
Good Evening,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
No, it's not possible with LVM alone. LVM is designed to simplify the management of multiple, different devices by grouping them together. Bonus is a slight speed improvement. If you loose one drive with LVM, the data on it is gone for good too, but it's easy to extend the size.
Since I am not very fluent in LVM, I set-up a virtual KVM/Qemu guest with Linux in order to play with LVM and investigate possible failures scenario. Enclosed the results of my experiments.

I have the following setup: a volume group containing the following physical volume /dev/vda6, /dev/vdb2 and /dev/vdb3. I have only one logical volume than spans the entire volume group. ext3 is used as filesystem.
Code:
+--------------------------------------------------+
|                    ext3                          |
|                    mylv                          | logical volume = 100%VG
|                    myvg                          | volume group = vda6, vdb2, vdb3 
+-------------+     +-------------+    +-----------+
| /dev/vda6   |     | /dev/vdb2   |    | /dev/vdb3 |
+-------------+     +------------+    +-----------+

It is possible to save the current volume group meta information using vgcfgbackup.
I failed /dev/vdb3, /dev/vdb2 and /dev/vda6 respectively (zeroed the partition using dd). For vdb2 and vdb3, I could restore the ext3 filesystem as follows:
- recreate the physical volume of the failed partition, giving the right uuid label.
- restore the volume group meta information using vgcfgrestore
- repairing the ext3 filesystem using fsck.
As expected, only the files from the failed partition were missing after the restore operation.

However, I failed to restore the file system if /dev/vda6 gets damaged. I used an alternate superblock for fsck (one located on vdb2 or vdb3), but no avail. I lost information about the data stored on vdb2 and vdb3 (they can be found in lost+found, but name is lost). I didn't managed so far to recover the file system if the first disk (i.e. where the primary superblock is) failed. I still need to investigate what's wrong.

What do you think about these recovery possibilities? No point however that RAID+LVM looks safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeNuke2
how about opensolaris with ZFS? there are many tutorials on ZFS and how to build a home NAS system...
That could be definitively worse a try. But I'll first investigate on the system where I am most knowledgeable about.

monthly(8)						      System Manager's Manual							monthly(8)

NAME
monthly - httpd log rotation for wwwstat SYNOPSIS
monthly DESCRIPTION
THIS PROGRAM MUST ONLY BE RUN ONCE PER MONTH! DURING THE FIRST WEEK It assumes a lot, like that you use wwwstat and archive your logfiles once per month. You will need to configure it for your server before it can be used. Reads the logfile (assumed to contain more than one month's worth of WWW common logfile entries) and moves the prior month's entries into a separate file. The new file is created on TMPDIR (to avoid filling up the disk), compressed using gzip, and then moved to the archive directory. The program also restarts the httpd server. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), httpd(1m), perl(1), wwwstat(1), splitlog(1), wwwerrs(8), oldlog2new(8) More info and the latest version of monthly can be obtained from http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/websoft/wwwstat/ ftp://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/websoft/wwwstat/ If you have any suggestions, bug reports, fixes, or enhancements, please join the <wwwstat-users@ics.uci.edu> mailing list by sending e- mail with "subscribe" in the subject of the message to the request address <wwwstat-users-request@ics.uci.edu>. The list is archived at the above address. 18 November 2004 monthly(8)