Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to grep the contents of a variable.. Post 302385098 by suri.tyson on Thursday 7th of January 2010 04:53:57 AM
Old 01-07-2010
how to grep the contents of a variable..

Hello All,

I've written a script to collect all audit logs files; now i want to see only the files from it which contains certain x tablenames. I've stored all the tablenames in a log file and using it through variable in a script (ex:below)

Code:
$ more tablenames.log (this is just a samle tables there are more than 500 tables to search)
HRC1002
HRC1206
HRC1212
HRS1000
HRS1002
HRS1200
HRS1201

In a script:

Code:
TABLENAMES=/tmp/tablenames.log
SOURCE_FILES=/tmp/sys_audit_files.tmp

ls -1tr ${ORACLE_HOME}/rdbms/audit/*.aud > ${SOURCE_FILES}
(which collects more than 200 audit log files; and now i want to use a grep statment in a below for loop to search the tablenames.log file)

for i in `cat ${SOURCE_FILES}` ; do
    cat $i |  grep ?????? >> $LOGFILE
done

How do we use a variable or a logfile to grep

thanks in advance..

Last edited by Franklin52; 01-07-2010 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding contents of a variable to a command

hi all, i'm new to shell scripting, so i'm not sure how to work this. Is it possible to read in the contents of a variable and add it to a command? for example: ------------------------ #!/bin/sh set example = -dfr rm ${example} ------------------------ when i run the script, i want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gammarays
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to strip out the contents of file using grep

Hi, I am receving a file from remote site which has EDI information for 830, 862 and 997 and I want to extect the data for 997 using grep's or any other methods. The data look like this: ISA~000 0000-0001-1000~997 AK1000~m 000~IEA~M ISA~000 0000-0001-1000~849 000~IEA~M ISA~000... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: isingh786
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Save contents of a Variable

I want to save the contents of a variable to a file. How can that be achieved? I have tried with: echo $varname > textfile.txt but for some reason it does not print anything. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

unique sort contents of a variable

Hi , I have #echo $var1 #hdisk2 hdisk3 hdisk0 hdisk2 Now I need to remove duplicate entries from this . ie. after sorting it should only have hdisk2 hdisk3 hdisk0 . I can have these values in a array as well . I understand we can use sort -u to remove the duplicates in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveenbvarrier
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep the contents

Hi, Can I get the simple unix command or script to get the output as mentioned below. Input Contents: Processing file: home/j2ee-apps/web-estore/123.txt File: 123.txt Status: Locally Added Processing file: home/j2ee-apps/web-estore/META-INF/application.xml Processing file:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read contents of a file into variable :(

My file is in this format : username : student information : default shell : student ID Eg : joeb:Joe Bennett:/bin/csh:1234 jerryd:Jerry Daniels:/bin/csh:2345 deaverm: Deaver Michelle:/bin/bash:4356 joseyg:Josey Guerra:/bin/bash:8767 michaelh:Michael Hall:/bin/ksh:1547 I have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dude_me5
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep contents from metastat command

Hi, after issuing metastat command I am getting output as follows Actually these soft partitions are more than 100. I want output as Device Name & Size. for eg d4004 2.0 GB (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuxian
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Folder contents getting appended as strings while redirecting file contents to a variable

Hi one of the output of the command is as below # sed -n "/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/,/---------/{/CCM-ResourceHealthCheck:/d;/---------/d;p;}" Automation.OutputZ$zoneCounter | sed 's/$/<br>/' Resource List : <br> *************************** 1. row ***************************<br> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem to grep contents from a file

hi, I'm trying to grep content from one file in another file. The file that I'm searching into is large and hence I need to temporarily unzip it first. gzip -dc ALL.chr2.phase3_shapeit2_mvncall_integrated_v5a.20130502.genotypes.vcf.gz | grep '169997024\|190670539\|128051369' >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janshamsani
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting the contents of a variable

i want to reduce the OPTIONS variable which is a list of email addresses to just the unique entries. The following works, but, i would like to accomplish it without using the temporary file (dest.txt) $echo $OPTIONS a b c A B D ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgt
5 Replies
UNBUFFER(1)						      General Commands Manual						       UNBUFFER(1)

NAME
unbuffer - unbuffer output SYNOPSIS
unbuffer program [ args ] INTRODUCTION
unbuffer disables the output buffering that occurs when program output is redirected from non-interactive programs. For example, suppose you are watching the output from a fifo by running it through od and then more. od -c /tmp/fifo | more You will not see anything until a full page of output has been produced. You can disable this automatic buffering as follows: unbuffer od -c /tmp/fifo | more Normally, unbuffer does not read from stdin. This simplifies use of unbuffer in some situations. To use unbuffer in a pipeline, use the -p flag. Example: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 CAVEATS
unbuffer -p may appear to work incorrectly if a process feeding input to unbuffer exits. Consider: process1 | unbuffer -p process2 | process3 If process1 exits, process2 may not yet have finished. It is impossible for unbuffer to know long to wait for process2 and process2 may not ever finish, for example, if it is a filter. For expediency, unbuffer simply exits when it encounters an EOF from either its input or process2. In order to have a version of unbuffer that worked in all situations, an oracle would be necessary. If you want an application-specific solution, workarounds or hand-coded Expect may be more suitable. For example, the following example shows how to allow grep to finish pro- cessing when the cat before it finishes first. Using cat to feed grep would never require unbuffer in real life. It is merely a place- holder for some imaginary process that may or may not finish. Similarly, the final cat at the end of the pipeline is also a placeholder for another process. $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ cat /tmp/abcdef.log | unbuffer grep abc | cat $ (cat /tmp/abcdef.log ; sleep 1) | unbuffer grep abc | cat abcdef xxxabc defxxx $ BUGS
The man page is longer than the program. SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology 1 June 1994 UNBUFFER(1)