Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need tune my command occupying 90% CPU Post 302385073 by jlliagre on Thursday 7th of January 2010 03:41:34 AM
Old 01-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by senthil.ak
How long does the script takes in average ? less than min but some time it take more than half an hour.
Huh !
You are investigating the wrong part of your script. As I wrote, the awk processing itself should take far less than one second so the problem is elsewhere.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Application occupying CPU resources

Dear all, I have a pro c application running in the unix environement. This pro c program actually trigger by a java application from sun workstation. Recently, when we released a new proc c application and notice that the application occupying the CPU resources even through we check that the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghho
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tune my logic of script

I have big log file, which contains the netstat output from my application server to a particular DB server. I aim is to plot a daily graph for this. Please find the sample log file below. @ - ........................................................... @ - Total number of connection to the ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilkumar_ak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tune my query

I have a requirement to separate only some numbers from the input file and produce it in a format. The input is ( i have took a sample, the actual file contains more than 50000 rows around 840 MB in size) $cat temp.txt 001 08 002 08 003 06 004 11 005 11 006 08 007 08 008 92* 009 92 010... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Please tune my script for Solaris

I have very big log file around 2-3 GB in that it contians 24 hours log data. My work is extract only 5-5 data and count the patterns from them. I worte a script in linux and we're using that. sed -n "/2009 05:/,/2009 17:/p" trace.log | grep -f patterns.txt > temp.log while read string ;do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthil.ak
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

6. Programming

SQL : Fine tune Insert by query

i would like to know how can i fine tune the following query since the cost of the query is too high .. insert into temp temp_1 select a,b,c,d from xxxx .. database used is IDS.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: expert
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tune my script

Hi ! My script read out data out of 144 files per day - every ten minutes a file with data. data-file WR030B 306.71 0 WR050B 315.13 0 WR120B 308.34 0 WV030B 3.52 0 WV050B 5.06 0 WV120B 6.65 0 TLUFT02B 8.60... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Files not getting deleted with rm & occupying space in filesystem

Hello, OS version is Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.5 (Santiago). In one of the filesystem some old files post clone are not getting removed even with 'rm' # ls -ltr | grep meagpd_62.dbf -rw-rw---- 1 oracle oinstall 34358697984 Sep 1 08:46 meagpd_62.dbf # rm... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saharookiedba
7 Replies
SLEEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SLEEP(1)

NAME
sleep -- suspend execution for an interval of time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution for a minimum of seconds. If the sleep command receives a signal, it takes the standard action. When the SIGINFO signal is received, the estimate of the amount of seconds left to sleep is printed on the standard output. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
The SIGALRM signal is not handled specially by this implementation. The sleep command allows and honors a non-integer number of seconds to sleep in any form acceptable by strtod(3). This is a non-portable extension, and its use will nearly guarantee that a shell script will not execute properly on another system. EXIT STATUS
The sleep utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To schedule the execution of a command for x number seconds later (with csh(1)): (sleep 1800; sh command_file >& errors)& This incantation would wait a half hour before running the script command_file. (See the at(1) utility.) To reiteratively run a command (with the csh(1)): while (1) if (! -r zzz.rawdata) then sleep 300 else foreach i (`ls *.rawdata`) sleep 70 awk -f collapse_data $i >> results end break endif end The scenario for a script such as this might be: a program currently running is taking longer than expected to process a series of files, and it would be nice to have another program start processing the files created by the first program as soon as it is finished (when zzz.rawdata is created). The script checks every five minutes for the file zzz.rawdata, when the file is found, then another portion processing is done courteously by sleeping for 70 seconds in between each awk job. SEE ALSO
nanosleep(2), sleep(3) STANDARDS
The sleep command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A sleep command appeared in Version 4 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD