Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What is the difference between " and ' Post 302385029 by praveen_b744 on Thursday 7th of January 2010 01:50:49 AM
Old 01-07-2010
What is the difference between " and '

I am a bit confused between " and '.
Could any one give clear description?

Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

what difference between "terminal" and "console"

1 . Thank you for reading the post first. 2 . what difference between "terminal" and "console" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
1 Replies

2. Solaris

difference between "root" and "usr" packages

Hi, could someone pls enlighten me on the difference between the "root" package and "usr" package? Like in this example: pkginfo -l SUNWGtku | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Usr) and pkginfo -l SUNWGtkr | grep -i desc DESC: GTK - The GIMP Toolkit (Root)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: masloff
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the difference executing a script with . in the front versus not putting a "."

Hi All, I know this has been discussed a lot but still I need some more answers. I am running this is ksh on AIX 5.3 I believe putting a "." in front of the script will start a new shell, is that correct?? I have a script which override some PATH variables and it does not do that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"date" difference between FreeBSD & Linux

Hi there. I used to use lastdate=`date -v-14d %F` on my old server with FreeBSD, and now got to get the same result(current date -14 or -X days) in script running at another server, with Linux, but there's no such option for "date". How can i solve the prob(counting with absolute day number is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: strider_scripts
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - difference between -F"," and BEGIN{FS=","}

in awk, what is the difference between: -F"," and BEGIN{FS=","} (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about the difference between "for" and "while" loop

dear all, i got some questions about for/while loop when working on redirect command output to for/while loop. take one for example : in for loop : allfiles=`find /var/log -maxdepth 1 -type f -mtime +5` index=1 for ((i=0; i<${#allfiles}; i++)); do echo "$index:${allfiles}" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
2 Replies

7. SuSE

Difference in file size between "ls -l" and "du -a"

mail:/var/lib/named/proc # ls -l |grep kcore -r-------- 1 root root 140737486266368 Jun 3 19:47 kcore mail:/var/lib/named/proc # du -a |grep kcore 0 ./kcore System is SuSE 11.2 SP1. The system appears to run correctly, and the output of df -v shows the correct disk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mindboggling difference between using "tee" and "/usr/bin/tee" in bash

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 and I manually updated my coreutils so that "tee" is now on version 8.27 I was running a script using bash where there is some write to pipe error at some point causing the tee command to exit abruptly while the script continues to run. The newer version of tee seems to prevent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stompadon
2 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)