Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Determining cause behind high load average Post 302384965 by TonyFullerMalv on Wednesday 6th of January 2010 07:16:39 PM
Old 01-06-2010
There are plenty of tools that will tell what the loading of your system is but not what particular process or branch of processes are the major culprits!
A script that runs something like "top -b -n 1" every minute (called from cron) or so into a log file might show you what is going on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

determining the load on a system

I know that top reports the load, but what other command line utility will display the load on a system running Solaris 2.6? Thanks, Chuck (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun: High kernel usage & very high load averages

Hi, I am seeing very high kernel usage and very high load averages on my system (Although we are not loading much data to our database). Here is the output of top...does anyone know what i should be looking at? Thanks, Lorraine last pid: 13144; load averages: 22.32, 19.81, 16.78 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorrainenineill
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

High cpu load average

Hi Buddies, Thanx for reading my first post... After googling a lot and searching so many forums I am feeling down a bit... Please don't mind my ignorence, and my grammer ... :) My server is running RHEL 2.6.9-5.EL. The cpu load is going higher than roof, almost 100 sometimes. I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squid04
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Prstat - Average Value too high

Hi All, Please see to the prstat o/p of one of my sun box.. Total: 1 processes, 68 lwps, load averages: 531.00, 305.18, 144.77 Check the pstack .... As i have read in all docs , people say a value of 5 is considered high CPU usage , i don't know then how we can even relate those... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpics66
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining load average over a period of time

How can i determine the load average of a centos server for the last 1 hour? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

apache high cpu load on high traffic

i have a Intel Quad Core Xeon X3440 (4 x 2.53GHz, 8MB Cache, Hyper Threaded) with 16gig and 1tb harddrive with a 1gb port and my apache is causing my cpu to go up to 100% on all four cores heres my http.config <IfModule prefork.c> StartServers 10 MinSpareServers 10 MaxSpareServers 15... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awww
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

High load average troubleshoot

Hi all, hope you can help me. I'm getting high load average and can't find a reason for this, please share your inputs. load average: 7.78, 7.50, 7.31 Tasks: 330 total, 1 running, 329 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu0 : 7.0%us, 1.0%sy, 0.0%ni, 23.9%id, 0.0%wa, 38.9%hi,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erick_tuk
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

High load average in idle state

With linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2199.nptlsmp (I know, it's very old) Sometimes Load average increases to big value (over 7) but my 4 vCPU are in idle state (5% busy every cpu). My web procedure was gone down so I found out that process (with 4732 process id, see my following output) was in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zio_mangrovia
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

High Load average | vmstat hints what ?

TOP: top - 17:09:39 up 47 days, 1:34, 13 users, load average: 6.54, 10.96, 11.27 Tasks: 274 total, 3 running, 271 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie Cpu0 : 6.0%us, 44.9%sy, 0.0%ni, 48.8%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.3%si, 0.0%st Cpu1 : 6.3%us, 44.4%sy, 0.0%ni, 48.0%id, 0.3%wa, ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunn3r
2 Replies

10. Linux

Need help determining if %SI(software interrupts) are too high

Hello, The organization I work for uses SCOM(Microsoft Systems Center Operations Manager) for Data Center Management/alerting. Since the client was installed on our Linux servers we have been getting messages from SCOM stating "DPC Time Percentage is too high". This is happening on all our... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdlaforc
0 Replies
CRON(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   CRON(8)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
Cron executes commands at specified dates and times according to the instructions in the files /etc/crontab and /etc/crontab.local. None, either one, or both of these files may be present. Since cron never exits, it should only be executed once. This is best done by running cron from the initialization process through the file /etc/rc; see init(8). The crontab files consist of lines of seven fields each. The fields are separated by spaces or tabs. The first five are integer patterns to specify: o minute (0-59) o hour (0-23) o day of the month (1-31) o month of the year (1-12) o day of the week (1-7 with 1 = Monday) Each of these patterns may contain: o a number in the range above o two numbers separated by a minus meaning a range inclusive o a list of numbers separated by commas meaning any of the numbers o an asterisk meaning all legal values The sixth field is a user name: the command will be run with that user's uid and permissions. The seventh field consists of all the text on a line following the sixth field, including spaces and tabs; this text is treated as a command which is executed by the Shell at the specified times. A percent character (``%'') in this field is translated to a new-line character. Both crontab files are checked by cron every minute, on the minute. FILES
/etc/crontab /etc/crontab.local 7th Edition October 23, 1996 CRON(8)