Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do you use pull data from multiple lines to do a for statement? Post 302384915 by scottzx7rr on Wednesday 6th of January 2010 03:58:22 PM
Old 01-06-2010
Allister,

Thanks for your assistance. I just found out/remember that some might variate in the line location of the monitor. Some will be line 2 and other might be line 3 or 4. So with the getline that will only return the ones with it on line two. So I am gonna try and find a way using awk for this.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split data into multiple lines

All, I have a requirement where I will need to split a line into multiple lines. Ex: Input: 2ABCDEFGH2POIYUY2ASDGGF2QWERTY Output: 2ABCDEFGH 2POIYUY 2ASDGGF 2QWERTY The data is of no fixed lenght. Only the lines have to start with 2. How can this be done. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingofprussia
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

(sed) parsing insert statement column that crosses multiple lines

I have a file with a set of insert statements some of which have a single column value that crosses multiple lines causing the statement to fail in sql*plue. Can someone help me with a sed script to replace the new lines with chr(10)? here is an example: insert into mytable(id, field1, field2)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjordan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting data from multiple lines

Hi guys, looking for a bit of advise, and as I am a complete novice, please excuse the daft questions!! I have a list of events and of which entry looks like this; # # Event 1 # NAME = Event 1 # 12345 : 123 : 1 : 1 : L,1,N : 1,0 : Event # # Event 2 # NAME = Event 2 # 12346... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple lines inside a case statement

echo "please enter ur choice.. 1. Make a file. 2. Display contents 3. Copy the file 4. Rename the file 5. Delete the file 6. Exit" read choice case $choice in 1 ) echo enter the file name read fname if then echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pull out multiple lines with grep patternfile

Hi, I'm trying to get lines from a file using identifiers in the first two columns. I have used: cat MasterFile.txt | grep -f Pattern.txt and the lines I want display on screen. If I try to put them in a file the file is created but stays empty: cat MasterFile.txt | grep -f Pattern.txt... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: FGPonce
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from multiple lines

Hi All, I am stuck in one step.. I have one file named file.txt having content: And SGMT.perd_id = (SELECT cal.fiscal_perd_id FROM $ODS_TARGT.TIM_DT_CAL_D CAL FROM $ODS_TARGT.GL_COA_SEGMNT_XREF_A SGMT SGMT.COA_XREF_TYP_IDN In (SEL COA_XREF_TYP_IDN From... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi Gupta
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I use grep to pull incremental data and send to multiple files?

Hi Everyone, Im currently using the below code to pull data from a large CSV file and put it into smaller files with just the data associated with the number that I "grep". grep 'M053' test.csv > test053.csv Is there a way that I can use grep to run through my file like the example below... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheStruggle
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split data into multiple lines

Hi, if i have data like below: Control|AC-00011-CN-2475208 AC-00011-CN-2475211 AC-00007-CN-2475238 AC-00007-CN-2475241 Im getting output in required format as below Control|AC-00011-CN-2475208 Control|AC-00011-CN-2475211 Control|AC-00007-CN-2475238 Control|AC-00007-CN-2475241 using awk... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiple lines of data?

I use this to get 8 random letters: cat /dev/urandom | tr -dc 'A-Z' | fold -w 8 | head -n 1 Result is, WLGFJFZY What I'm trying to do is get 10 lines of random letters, separated by a line and each block having ascending numbers i.e; 00 IWMTDFIM 01 KZZZCHPQ 02 YBTGFHGT 03 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenny-mac
4 Replies
GETLINE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							GETLINE(3)

NAME
getline, getdelim - delimited string input SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> ssize_t getline(char **lineptr, size_t *n, FILE *stream); ssize_t getdelim(char **lineptr, size_t *n, int delim, FILE *stream); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): Before glibc 2.10: getline(), getdelim(): _GNU_SOURCE Since glibc 2.10: getline(), getdelim(): _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 700 DESCRIPTION
getline() reads an entire line from stream, storing the address of the buffer containing the text into *lineptr. The buffer is null-termi- nated and includes the newline character, if one was found. If *lineptr is NULL, then getline() will allocate a buffer for storing the line, which should be freed by the user program. (In this case, the value in *n is ignored.) Alternatively, before calling getline(), *lineptr can contain a pointer to a malloc(3)-allocated buffer *n bytes in size. If the buffer is not large enough to hold the line, getline() resizes it with realloc(3), updating *lineptr and *n as necessary. In either case, on a successful call, *lineptr and *n will be updated to reflect the buffer address and allocated size respectively. getdelim() works like getline(), except a line delimiter other than newline can be specified as the delimiter argument. As with getline(), a delimiter character is not added if one was not present in the input before end of file was reached. RETURN VALUE
On success, getline() and getdelim() return the number of characters read, including the delimiter character, but not including the termi- nating null byte. This value can be used to handle embedded null bytes in the line read. Both functions return -1 on failure to read a line (including end-of-file condition). ERRORS
EINVAL Bad arguments (n or lineptr is NULL, or stream is not valid). VERSIONS
These functions are available since libc 4.6.27. CONFORMING TO
Both getline() and getdelim() were originally GNU extensions. They were standardized in POSIX.1-2008. EXAMPLE
#define _GNU_SOURCE #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE *fp; char *line = NULL; size_t len = 0; ssize_t read; fp = fopen("/etc/motd", "r"); if (fp == NULL) exit(EXIT_FAILURE); while ((read = getline(&line, &len, fp)) != -1) { printf("Retrieved line of length %zu : ", read); printf("%s", line); } free(line); exit(EXIT_SUCCESS); } SEE ALSO
read(2), fgets(3), fopen(3), fread(3), gets(3), scanf(3), feature_test_macros(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-06-12 GETLINE(3)