Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris metadb problem - server unable to boot Post 302384721 by m_aftab on Wednesday 6th of January 2010 06:55:55 AM
Old 01-06-2010
SVM

1. Delete the metadb which you have created.
2. Create the 7th partition again of 512 mb
3. create the metadb
metadb -a -f -c 3 c0t0d0s7

# metainit -f d11 1 1 c0t0d0s0
d11: Concat/Stripe is setup
# metainit d12 1 1 c0t1d0s0
d12: Concat/Stripe is setup
# metainit d10 -m d11
d10: Mirror is setup
# metaroot d10
# lockfs -fa
# reboot
# metattach d10 d12
d10: Submirror d12 is attached

---------- Post updated at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:18 PM ----------

Sorry wrongly posted on query

---------- Post updated at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous update was at 05:22 PM ----------

1. Boot the system in single user mode.
2. mount the root partition on mnt
3. change the /etc/vfstab file to normal file system path
change /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /
reboot the system
You will be able to reboot the system at previous stage without SVM.

After successfully booted system you can recreate SVM by previous posted step

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

2. Solaris

unable to boot from disk1

I had installed solaris 10 on 440 on disk 0. I had done ufsrestore on disk1 from tape and then rebooted Rebooting with command: boot disk1 Boot device: /pci@1f,700000/scsi@2/disk@1,0 File and args: SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_118833-24 64-bit Copyright 1983-2006 Sun Microsystems,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr76413
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Unable to boot Fedora 10

Hello, I have a test PC running Fedora 10. Friday evening it was working fine, I have some perl scripts which are scheduled to run every morning. But when I started work this morning, I found I cannot ping the machine. When I switched on the monitor, I saw the GRUB promt :(. I am not sure... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SivaramaRaju
10 Replies

4. Ubuntu

grub problem - unable to boot

I am not able to boot into my ubuntu. Grub gives me this message How do I boot linux? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Boot disk crash with metadb config info

Hello all; We have a SunFire V240 with three disks that were part of a metadb. One of those disks, the boot disk, experienced a horrible death Monday night and we're now trying to recover from that. I know very little about metadb stuff, so please be gentle with me... I'm assuming... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Handon
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Unable to boot from mirror disk on x86 server configured under VxVM

Hi, Can you help me on booting x86 server configured under VxVM. Server boots fine normally from both the disks but if I try to boot server from mirror disk without starting veritas, then it does not boot. vxplex -g rootdg dis var-02 vxplex -g rootdg dis swapvol-02 vxplex -g rootdg dis... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: milindphanse604
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solved: Disk Unable to Boot

Update: The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0) is being checked fsck unable to stat WARNING - unable to repair the / filesystem. Run fsck manually (fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0). Root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass): I am unable to hit control-d to by pass. I... (50 Replies)
Discussion started by: br1an
50 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Unable to boot Ubuntu server 15.10

Hi; I had Windows Server 2003 and performed a fresh Ubuntu Server 15 installation. After installation, Ubuntu server not booting I guess there is boot problem conflicting with my old Windows Server. This is my pastebin: http://paste.ubuntu.com/13851828/ Any help to start my new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Unable to boot up after P2V

Hi, I just P2V an old machine running Redhat 5.5 on a physical server. After P2V was completed, when boot up it got an error. Please refer to the attachment for the error. Please assist. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freshmeat
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris can not boot because metadb lost

how to recovery metadb? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dzung
1 Replies
metareplace(1M) 					  System Administration Commands					   metareplace(1M)

NAME
metareplace - enable or replace components of submirrors or RAID5 metadevices SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/metareplace -h /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] -e mirror component /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] mirror component-old component-new /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] -e RAID component /usr/sbin/metareplace [-s setname] [-f] RAID component-old component-new DESCRIPTION
The metareplace command is used to enable or replace components (slices) within a submirror or a RAID5 metadevice. When you replace a component, the metareplace command automatically starts resyncing the new component with the rest of the metadevice. When the resync completes, the replaced component becomes readable and writable. If the failed component has been hot spare replaced, the hot spare is placed in the available state and made available for other hot spare replacements. Note that the new component must be large enough to replace the old component. A component may be in one of several states. The Last Erred and the Maintenance states require action. Always replace components in the Maintenance state first, followed by a resync and validation of data. After components requiring maintenance are fixed, validated, and resynced, components in the Last Erred state should be replaced. To avoid data loss, it is always best to back up all data before replacing Last Erred devices. OPTIONS
Root privileges are required for all of the following options except -h. -e Transitions the state of component to the available state and resyncs the failed component. If the failed component has been hot spare replaced, the hot spare is placed in the available state and made available for other hot spare replace- ments. This command is useful when a component fails due to human error (for example, accidentally turning off a disk), or because the component was physically replaced. In this case, the replacement component must be partitioned to match the disk being replaced before running the metareplace command. -f Forces the replacement of an errored component of a metadevice in which multiple components are in error. The component determined by the metastat display to be in the ``Maintenance'' state must be replaced first. This option may cause data to be fabricated since multiple components are in error. -h Display help message. -s setname Specifies the name of the diskset on which metareplace will work. Using the -s option will cause the command to perform its administrative function within the specified diskset. Without this option, the command will perform its function on local metadevices. mirror The metadevice name of the mirror. component The logical name for the physical slice (partition) on a disk drive, such as /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s2. component-old The physical slice that is being replaced. component-new The physical slice that is replacing component-old. RAID The metadevice name of the RAID5 device. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Recovering from Error Condition in RAID5 Metadevice This example shows how to recover when a single component in a RAID5 metadevice is errored. # metareplace d10 c3t0d0s2 c5t0d0s2 In this example, a RAID5 metadevice d10 has an errored component, c3t0d0s2, replaced by a new component, c5t0d0s2. Example 2: Use of -e After Physical Disk Replacement This example shows the use of the -e option after a physical disk in a submirror (a submirror of mirror d11, in this case) has been replaced. # metareplace -e d11 c1t4d0s2 Note: The replacement disk must be partitioned to match the disk it is replacing before running the metareplace command. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metarename(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide SunOS 5.10 8 Aug 2003 metareplace(1M)