Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Traceroute doesn't show gateway as hop Post 302384678 by sysgate on Wednesday 6th of January 2010 04:55:14 AM
Old 01-06-2010
This also sounds curious to me, the gateway has to be there, unless some funky rules are placed somewhere. This is an ICMP packet, and it has to go through the default gateway first. The "issue" is definitely located inside of your network, and as it seems, it's valid only for outgoing requests. I would suggest to try different tools like "mtr" or "tcptraceroute" and post the results, while once again having checked the rules on various firewalls / routes and / or different network equipment.
HTH Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

My sig doesn't show

Is there an issue with it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spetnik
2 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Command Doesn't Show Description

im making c code in linux and im having problems with one command, id should bring up a list but instead id doesnt do nothing, there are no error's, can anyone solve whats wrong ? void environ() { extern char **environ; int i=0; for (i = 0; environ !=NULL;i++) { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figureout
1 Replies

3. AIX

IBM Server doesn't ping gateway unless you put a static route

Just want to know if someone has a clue about what could be happening here: I have an AIX box with four NICs in Ether channel connected to a Cisco Switch. When I try to ping the default gateway, sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't work unless it has a defined static route. Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: witt
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Compiling VIM, doesn't show menu and toolbar.

I'm trying to compile vim73 with the Motif Toolkit. ./configure --enable-gui=motif make ./src/vim -g Vim runs in a window, without the standard toolbar and menu bar. I tried to recompile with ./configure --enable-gui=gnome2It compiled with GTK2 toolkit, but still no menubar, nor toolbar.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
0 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Grub Doesn't show menu

Hi guys. I have installed Acronis disk director in windows XP and allocate some free space to install Debian beside fedora. after completion i rebooted and now grub is in command line mode and does not show the menu list. (I didn't remove the fedora partition. I just allocate some space from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: majid.merkava
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

traceroute missing hop

Hi, I am having some performance issues with my JBOSS application server and have noticed something strange in my traceroute. Can anyone explain the following output please? # traceroute 196.10.101.51 8080 traceroute to 196.10.101.51 (196.10.101.51), 30 hops max, 8080 byte packets ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why doesn't motd show up when I su to root?

When I do sudo -i isn't that like creating a root login shell session? Why isn't motd displayed? motd=message of the day. ---------- Post updated at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:25 AM ---------- I think I answered it myself, it is only called for remote login sessions, once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounted to mac, doesn't show DIR contents on first 'ls'

Hi, I have a cronjob that mounts machines every 15 minutes. sudo mount -t cifs -o username=Ren_user,password=AIB#1109$,nounix,bg,sec=ntlmssp //10.204.129.233/Desktop /mnt/clinical/234mac When I open a new shell and ls /mnt/clinical/234macto the mount point it is blank, but when I do the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why ls doesn't show catalog contents after mount (needed "cd .")?

Before I did mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/ll xsi ll # ls xsi ll # cd . xsi ll # ls NEWGAME.GM2 install md5sum.txt syslinux.cfg ubnkern .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistency between RedHat 6.5 global gateway and single gateway leads to loss of default gateway

Dear friends I use RedHat 6.5, which sets the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.26, and the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network-scripts / ifcfg-eth11 as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.256. The two gateways are different.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanpeng
6 Replies
VDE_L3(1)						      General Commands Manual							 VDE_L3(1)

NAME
vde_l3 - Virtual Distributed Ethernet 'Layer 3' Switch. SYNOPSIS
vde_l3 -v vde_plug:ipaddress/netmask [-v...] [-r target_network/netmask:gateway] [-G default_gw] [-M mgmt_socket] DESCRIPTION
A vde_l3 connects to one or more vde_switches, performing ip forwarding among its virtual interfaces. A new interface is created at startup for each -v option given at command line. Static routes to target networks can be defined using the -r option. vde_l3 -v /var/run/s1.ctl:192.168.0.1/24 connects to the vde sock at /var/run/s1.ctl with its virtual interface ve0, having the address 192.168.0.1 and netmask 255.255.255.0. vde_l3 -v /var/run/s1.ctl:192.168.0.1/24 -v /var/run/s2.ctl:10.0.0.254/255.255.0.0 connects to the two vde socks, with its virtual interfaces ve0 and ve1, having addressess 192.168.1.0 and 10.0.0.254 respectively. Hosts in each network can specify the vde_l3 as their gateway to reach the other one. OPTIONS
-v vde_plug:ipaddress/netmask Creates a virtual network interfaces on the vde_l3 box, with address ipaddress and netmask netmask. Please note that the netmask can be specified either in the 'classic' A.B.C.D mode, or just by giving the number of leading bits (f.e., /17 for 255.255.128.0). One can define as many interfaces as she wants. -r target_network/netmask:gateway Specify a static route through gateway to reach hosts in target_network with netmask netmask. One can define as many routes as she wants. -G default_gw Specify a default gateway, to be used whenever no static route is defined for a target host. -M mgmt_socket the unix socket where the parameters (interfaces addresses, routes, etc.) can be checked and changed runtime. unixterm(1) can be used as a remote terminal for wirefilter. NOTICE
Virtual Distributed Ethernet is not related in any way with www.vde.com ("Verband der Elektrotechnik, Elektronik und Informationstechnik" i.e. the German "Association for Electrical, Electronic & Information Technologies"). SEE ALSO
vde_switch(1), vdeq(1), unixterm(1), vde_cryptcab(1), wirefilter(1). AUTHORS
VDE_L3 is a tool by Daniele Lacamera <root@danielinux.net> VDE is a project by Renzo Davoli <renzo@cs.unibo.it> Virtual Distributed Ethernet May 7, 2007 VDE_L3(1)