Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat lto4 devices on mpt fusion driver Post 302384300 by kolvedic on Monday 4th of January 2010 07:24:33 PM
Old 01-04-2010
lto4 devices on mpt fusion driver

We are seeing an odd problem on an HP dl380 running Redhat es5 (2.6.18-52+.el5). we have 3 dual channel HBA's with a single tape drive on each channel totaling six tape drives.(2 x lto3, and 4 xlto4). The problem is only a two of the lto-4s are working. At first we thought it might be hardware, but we have swapped everything out with new parts and we still see the same issue.

We have used the sg3_utils package to look at the devices. If you use the sg devices for each, they all can take commands and respond to the sg_senddiag command. Once you start trying to use the /dev/st or /dev/nst the devices the work respond ok, the others give an IO error(EIO). In fact, if you run a sginfo -l you can see that it thinks only some of the devices are tape devices and the two drives that aren't working are just generic scsi devices. sginfo can see they are ultrium drives, but have no /dev/st or /dev/nst associated devices.

Since they are really all the same tape drives, we can't figure out why they aren't all working or all not working. To make matters worse, if you use the Fusion Redhat drivers, each time you boot, the drives that aren't working will be different drives. Upgrading to the latest LSI mpt drivers seemed to have fixed this however. We also along the way completely reinstalled the OS from media and updated it.

The server had been working in the configuration for almost a year. It had a network problem that we rebooted it for, and since then the drives have been in this state. Just really not sure where to look from here.

I am assuming that there might be something wrong in the st.ko module. the fact the /dev/st devices don't work but the sg devices do seems to point to some kind of weird thing going on one layer up. I have been all over the linux scsi forums and have tickets open with RH but have not resolution as yet, so I thought I would post here.

Hope someone else has seen something like this.

thanks,
Bil

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

SUNWglmr -- rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c or SCSI device driver ?

I've been researching minimizeing Solaris 8 and found that on the web page http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/content/packagelist/s8u7PkgList/p2.html the package SUNWglmr is listed as "rasctrl environment monitoring driver for i2c, (Root) (32-bit)" while in the document "Solaris 8 minimize-updt1.pdf"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roygoodwin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passthrough devices vs. named devices

I am having trouble understanding the difference between a passthrough device and a named device and when you would use one or the other to access equipment. As an example, we have a tape library and giving the command "camcontrol devlist" gives the following output: akx# camcontrol... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

3. AIX

LTO3 Drive to read LTO3 tape with LTO4 content

Dear all experts, I have a LTO3 tape drive and thinking of upgrade to LTO4 drive. Before we proceed to upgrade, I have 1 question to ask. As I will use the backup tape to restore into other server (pSeries p550), I have the problem of if I backup in LTO4 tape in future, how can I restore the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fusion de 2 fichiers

Bonjour, je souhaiterais un script bash fusionnant 2 fichiers tout en virant les doublons. Exemple : fic1 : toto titi fic2 : toto tata Résultat souhaité, fic 3 : toto titi tata Merci. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Celmar
1 Replies

5. Solaris

lto4 h58s firmware

is it possible that one of you guys can email me a patch the patch # is 128630-05 one of the techs is replacing a failed hp lto4 in our sl500 and i would like it to match the level of the others. thanks in advance for all those that reply :b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel7225
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot option Available partitions 0b00 1048575 sr0 driver:sr 0800 488386584 sda driver:sd

Help, suspect hacked via serial or electric! any ideas on error "Pid:1, comm:swapper Tainted:G W 2.6.35-22 generic #33 -unbutu device = "(null)" or unknown-blocklist(8.1) please append a correct "root"boot option Available partitions 0b00 1048575 sr0 driver:sr 0800 488386584 sda driver:sd. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kryclear
3 Replies

7. Slackware

compiz-fusion in slackware 13.37?

Has anyone successful runned compiz-fusion in newer slackware version? And how if I may ask? :wall: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkman_hr
0 Replies

8. Hardware

Difference between platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver

In general terms what are the differences platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies
SCSITAPE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SCSITAPE(1)

NAME
scsitape - control SCSI tape devices SYNOPSIS
scsitape [-f <scsi-generic-device>] commands DESCRIPTION
The scsitape command controls SCSI tape drives in a platform-independent manner. As long as 'mtx' works on the platform, so does 'scsi- tape'. Note that 'scsitape' and your OS's native tape driver may stomp on each other. In particular, if you use 'setblk' and your OS's native tape driver has a different notion of the block size, you may get evil results. It is recommended to use 'scsitape' only for software where you've written your own low-level READ and WRITE routines that use the SCSI command set to directly talk to tape drives (i.e., you do not use the OS's native tape driver at all). OPTIONS
The first argument, given following -f , is the SCSI generic device corresponding to your tape drive. Consult your operating system's doc- umentation for more information (for example, under Linux these are generally /dev/sg0 through /dev/sg15, under FreeBSD these are /dev/pass0 through /dev/passX. Under Solaris this is usually the same as your tape drive (Solaris has a SCSI passthrough ioctl). You can set the STAPE or TAPE environment variable rather than use -f. COMMANDS
setblk <n> Set the tape drive's SCSI block size to <n> bytes. (NOTE: if you are using your OS's native tape driver, THIS IS EVIL!). fsf <n> Go forward by <n> tapemarks. bsf <n> Go to immediately previous the <n>th previous tapemark. (WARNING: This probably doesn't do what you expect -- e.g. if you are immediately after a tapemark and type 'bfs 1', it moves to immediately *before* that tape mark, for a sum total of zero effective movement!). eod Go to end of data. rewind Rewind the tape drive. eject Eject the tape currently in the drive. erase Does a *short* erase (warning: does NOT work on all drives!). mark <n> write <n> filemarks ( 'mark 0' flushes the drive's buffers ). seek <n> Seek to a logical position <n> that was reported by a previous 'tapeinfo' command. write <blocksize> write blocks from stdin to the tape. Chunk the data into <blocksize>-sized chunks. *DOES NOT WRITE OUT A TAPEMARK!* (you will need to use a subsequent mark 1 command to write out a tape mark). read [<blocksize>] [ <#blocks/#bytes> ] read blocks from the tape, write them to stdout. If we are in variable block mode, <blocksize> should be zero (note: The maximum block size we currently support in variable block mode is 128K, MAX_READ_SIZE will need to be turned into a settable variable to allow bigger reads). If <blocksize> is ommitted, we assume that we're in variable block mode, and that we are going to read from tape until we hit a tapemark or end of partition or end of tape. AUTHORS
This program was written by Eric Lee Green <eric@badtux.org>. Major portions of the 'mtxl.c' library used herein were written by Leonard Zubkoff. The SCSI read and write routines are based upon those that Richard Fish wrote for Enhanced Software Technology's BRU 16.1 product, substan- tially modified to work in our particular environment (in particular, all the variable block stuff is new since BRU only does fixed block reads and writes, and the BRU code uses bitmasks rather than bitfields for the various flags and such in return values, as well as the BRU code having a different SCSI API and having variable names considerably shorter than the rather sesquipedalian 'mtx' identifiers). As required by 'mtxl.c', these routines are licensed under the GNU General Public License. HINTS
Under Linux, cat /proc/scsi/scsi will tell you what SCSI devices you have. You can then refer to them as /dev/sga, /dev/sgb, etc. by the order they are reported. Under FreeBSD, camcontrol devlist will tell you what SCSI devices you have, along with which pass device controls them. Under Solaris 7 and 8, /usr/sbin/devfsadm -C will clean up your /devices directory. Then find /devices -name 'st@*' -print will return a list of all tape drives. /dev on Solaris is apparently only of historical interest. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
for scsitape read 0 <n> where you are doing variable-block-size reads and wish for <n> bytes, it instead reads one and exactly one block from tape and prints that (no matter what its size). Use 'dd' on the output of scsitape if you want finer control. scsitape read 0 attempts reads of MAX_READ_SIZE, which is currently 128K. If blocks on tape are larger than 128K, only the first 128K will be read -- the remainder will be silently dumped in the toilet. This program does not interact well (or at all :-) with your OS's native tape driver. You will likely see weird things happen if you attempt to intermingle scsitape commands with native tape driver operations. Note that BRU 16.1 for Solaris (and possibly others, but Solaris I know about) will have a 'scsi' keyword to bypass the native tape driver and write via direct uscsi commands, so if you use 'scsi- tape' to bypass the flaws of the native Solaris driver, you can use BRU 16.1 to write your actual tape archives. (Assuming that BRU 16.1 has been released at the time that you read this). AVAILABILITY
This version of scsitape is currently being maintained by Robert Nelson <robertnelson@users.sourceforge.net> as part of the 'mtx' suite of programs. The 'mtx' home page is http://mtx.sourceforge.net and the actual code is currently available there and via SVN from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtx. SEE ALSO
loaderinfo(1),tapeinfo(1),mtx(1) SCSITAPE1.0 SCSITAPE(1)