Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove all text except pattern Post 302384277 by durden_tyler on Monday 4th of January 2010 05:29:09 PM
Old 01-04-2010
Can you post the output of the following command over here ?

Code:
echo $text

tyler_durden

Also, are the "2000+ symbols" -
(a) special, but printable, characters like "@", "$", "%" etc. or
(b) non-printable characters like those for ASCII 0, 1, 2, etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

process text between pattern and print other text

Hi All, The file has the following. =========start of file=== This is a file containing employee info START name john id 123 date 12/1/09 END START name sam id 4234 date 12/1/08 resigned END (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vlinet
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: Find start of pattern and extract text to end of line, including the pattern

This is my first post, please be nice. I have tried to google and read different tutorials. The task at hand is: Input file input.txt (example) abc123defhij-E-1234jslo 456ujs-W-abXjklp From this file the task is to grep the -E- and -W- strings that are unique and write a new file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestTomas
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with remove last text of a file that have specific pattern

Input file matrix-remodelling_associated_8_ aurora_interacting_1_ L20 von_factor_A_domain_1 ATP_containing_3B_ . . Output file matrix-remodelling_associated_8 aurora_interacting_1 L20 von_factor_A_domain_1 ATP_containing_3B . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last pattern

I have a file with entries below. domain1.com.http: domain2.com.49503: I need this to be sorted like below. ie remove the patten after the last right-hand side . (dot). domain1.com domain2.com (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a pattern in a line and remove another pattern

Hi, I want to search a pattern in a text file and remove another pattern in that file. my text file look like this 0.000000 1.970000 F 303 - 1.970000 2.080000 VH VH + 2.080000 2.250000 VH VH + 2.250000 2.330000 VH L - 2.330000 2.360000 F H + 2.360000 2.410000 L VL - 2.410000 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove duplicate occurrences of text pattern

Hi folks! I have a file which contains a 1000 lines. On each line i have multiple occurrences ( 26 to be exact ) of pattern folder#/folder#. # is depicting the line number in the file some text here folder1/folder1 some text here folder1/folder1 some text here folder1/folder1 some text... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove comments like pattern from text

Hi , We need to remove comment like pattern from a code text. The possible comment expressions are as follows. Input BizComment : Special/*@ Name:bzt_53_3aea640a_51783afa_5d64_0 BizHidden:true @*/ /* lookup Disease Category Therapuetic Class */ a=b;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikashKumar
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a char before a pattern?

Hi I have a file where i want to remove a char before a specific pattern. exp: CREATE TABLE ( A, B, C, ----comma needs to be removed )AS SELECT A, B, C, ----comma needs to be removed FROM TABLE. So i want to delete the comma(,) after the C both ways.Pattern can be... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raju2016
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the text between all curly brackets from text file?

Hello experts, I have a text file with lot of curly brackets (both opening { & closing } ). I need to delete them alongwith the text between opening & closing brackets' pair. For ex: Input:- 59. Rh1 Qe4 {(Qf5-e4 Qd8-g8+ Kg6-f5 Qg8-h7+ Kf5-e5 Qh7-e7+ Ke5-f5 Qe7-d7+ Qe4-e6 Qd7-h7+ Qe6-g6... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to remove pattern and lines above pattern

In the awk below I am trying to remove all lines above and including the pattern Test or Test2. Each block is seperated by a newline and Test2 also appears in the lines to keep but it will always have additional text after it. The Test to remove will not. The awk executed until the || was added... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
VIS(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    VIS(1)

NAME
vis -- display non-printable characters in a visual format SYNOPSIS
vis [-cbflnostw] [-F foldwidth] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The vis utility is a filter for converting non-printable characters into a visual representation. It differs from 'cat -v' in that the form is unique and invertible. By default, all non-graphic characters except space, tab, and newline are encoded. A detailed description of the various visual formats is given in vis(3). The options are as follows: -b Turns off prepending of backslash before up-arrow control sequences and meta characters, and disables the doubling of backslashes. This produces output which is neither invertible or precise, but does represent a minimum of change to the input. It is similar to ``cat -v''. -c Request a format which displays a small subset of the non-printable characters using C-style backslash sequences. -F Causes vis to fold output lines to foldwidth columns (default 80), like fold(1), except that a hidden newline sequence is used, (which is removed when inverting the file back to its original form with unvis(1)). If the last character in the encoded file does not end in a newline, a hidden newline sequence is appended to the output. This makes the output usable with various editors and other utilities which typically do not work with partial lines. -f Same as -F. -l Mark newlines with the visible sequence '$', followed by the newline. -n Turns off any encoding, except for the fact that backslashes are still doubled and hidden newline sequences inserted if -f or -F is selected. When combined with the -f flag, vis becomes like an invertible version of the fold(1) utility. That is, the output can be unfolded by running the output through unvis(1). -o Request a format which displays non-printable characters as an octal number, ddd. -s Only characters considered unsafe to send to a terminal are encoded. This flag allows backspace, bell, and carriage return in addi- tion to the default space, tab and newline. -t Tabs are also encoded. -w White space (space-tab-newline) is also encoded. SEE ALSO
unvis(1), vis(3) HISTORY
The vis command appeared in 4.4BSD. BUGS
Due to limitations in the underlying vis(3) function, the vis utility does not recognize multibyte characters, and thus may consider them to be non-printable when they are in fact printable (and vice versa). BSD
June 25, 2004 BSD