Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Retry every ten seconds while lockfile present Post 302384154 by rrstone on Monday 4th of January 2010 07:28:11 AM
Old 01-04-2010
My claim is :
Check for file existence is open to race condition .

My code provides solution for this race condition .

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Enomem in Journal Retry Error

Hi, Does anyone seen this error before.. kernel: ENOMEM in journal_alloc_journal_head, retrying. I encounter this problem on IBM eServers where when the above error appears usually the machine is dead or hanged. Unless a hard reboot is been done. Is this something have to do with the memory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: killerserv
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

retry process in ftp

hi #!/bin/bash SERVER=10.89.40.35 USER=xyz PASSWD=xyz ftp -in $SERVER<<EOF user $USER $PASSWD mkdir PPL cd /path of remote dir lcd /path of local dir hash bin put <file name> bye <<EOF The above ftp script i have to schedule in crontab at a particular instance of time run daily.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie250
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retry upon FTP failure

I am using the following code in a C Shell script to transfer files to a remote server: ftp -n logxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx.com <<DO_FTP1 quote user $user_name quote pass $password ascii put $js_file_name bin put $FinalZipFile quit DO_FTP1 This code works great except on those rare occasions... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: phudgens
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Retry and Exit

ok, so I'm trying to add a function to my local script that runs a command on a remote host. The reason why this is needed is that, there are other scripts that run different commands on the same remote host. so the problem is that many times there are multiple scripts being run on the remote... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

execute the shell script per ten seconds

hi, everyone. My want to execute the shell script below per 10 seconds PID=`pgrep java` if then /home/java/java fi crontab wouldn't help me. some one can give me suggestions?thanks ---------- Post updated at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:26 AM ---------- ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AKB48
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to manipulate the conditions between every retry in wget?

Hi , When i hit the URL using WGET command ,it is retrying according to the number of retry we mentioned along with Wget command. my expectation : 1) If 1st try is failed and iam retrying again before 2nd retry i have to check for "xxxxxxx" entry in the log file. 2) If "XXXXXXX" entry is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinothsekark
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Lockfile Command

Hi, I am new to this forum, could any one please help me to understand the LOCKFILE command with an example and what exactly it is used for and how it is used. Thanks Reshu289 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reshu289
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If then else - Retry operation

I need to read a file line by line, then depending on the contents of each line, type in a code that will get written to an array. The problem I have is when I ask the user to confirm the input code, if it is wrong, how do i Return to ask again? Any thing I try increments the file to the next... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcpoole
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Semaphore - lockfile/flock

Hi, I have a process which can run one instance at a time. Currently we have multiple scripts trying to kickoff this process. I wanted to implement the semaphore mechanism to achieve this. I was going through few examples. The below code seems to be reasonable solution. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Unrecovered read error No retry

We encountered these error 2 times(e.g. Solaris 10 with NetWorker installed) with in the month of August, but we couldn't pin point the root cause, it might be bad sector, bad cable or software incompatibility? Do you experience these issue or please share your understanding about this? Thanks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: B@S
0 Replies
maillock(3MAIL) 					  User Mailbox Library Functions					   maillock(3MAIL)

NAME
maillock, mailunlock, touchlock - functions to manage lockfile(s) for user's mailbox SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lmail [ library ... ] #include <maillock.h> int maillock(const char *user, int retrycnt); void mailunlock(void); void touchlock(void); DESCRIPTION
The maillock() function attempts to create a lockfile for the user's mailfile. If a lockfile already exists, and it has not been modified in the last 5 minutes, maillock() will remove the lockfile and set its own lockfile. It is crucial that programs locking mail files refresh their locks at least every three minutes to maintain the lock. Refresh the lockfile by calling the touchlock() function with no arguments. The algorithm used to determine the age of the lockfile takes into account clock drift between machines using a network file system. A zero is written into the lockfile so that the lock will be respected by systems running the standard version of System V. If the lockfile has been modified in the last 5 minutes the process will sleep until the lock is available. The sleep algorithm is to sleep for 5 seconds times the attempt number. That is, the first sleep will be for 5 seconds, the next sleep will be for 10 seconds, etc. until the number of attempts reaches retrycnt. When the lockfile is no longer needed, it should be removed by calling mailunlock(). The user argument is the login name of the user for whose mailbox the lockfile will be created. maillock() assumes that user's mailfiles are in the ``standard'' place as defined in <maillock.h>. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, .maillock() returns 0. Otherwise it returns -1. FILES
/var/mail/* user mailbox files /var/mail/*.lock user mailbox lockfiles ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libmail(3LIB),attributes(5) NOTES
The mailunlock() function will only remove the lockfile created from the most previous call to maillock(). Calling maillock() for different users without intervening calls to mailunlock() will cause the initially created lockfile(s) to remain, potentially blocking subsequent message delivery until the current process finally terminates. SunOS 5.11 29 Mar 1999 maillock(3MAIL)