Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find if file exist in directory using * Post 302383862 by matrixmadhan on Friday 1st of January 2010 03:28:50 AM
Old 01-01-2010
Code:
ls -1 | while read file
do
if [[ -f $file ]]
then
echo "file : $file"
elif [[ -d $file ]]
then
echo "dir : $file"
fi
done

directory check is redundant, its just a sample

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I find wether a particular file exist and size greater than zero...help please

Can I find wether a particular file exist and size greater than zero in one line command. similar to this if && something in one if test .... e.g. if 1.) is it possible ? ... if yes how 2.) what would be the return type in case there is success or failure. I mean if both are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guhas
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++

Hi there,, how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++ under unix/linux? I can use access() under Window MFC. Thanks. Steven (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steven88
1 Replies

3. Programming

how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++

Hi there, how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++ under linux/unix. Thanks. Steven (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven88
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find in file. Does this exist under UNIX?

Hello, I have the following problem. I know there is a file somewhere on a UNIX machine that contains a string, but I don't know where. With the "grep" command, I can look into a file but only if I'm located in the correct directory. With the "find" command, I can search across directories... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scampsd
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find a file named vijay in a directory using find command

I need to find whether there is a file named vijay is there or not in folder named "opt" .I tried "ls *|grep vijay" but it showed permission problem. so i need to use find command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
6 Replies

6. AIX

AIX cp error: "A file or directory in the path does not exist"

Hello fellow UNIX fans, I'm running AIX 4.3 and getting an error message “cp: /a/file2.db: A file or directory in the path does not exist” when I run the following command: cp /b/file.db /a/file2.db It stops every time about 95% of the way through the copy process at 1,073,741,312 bits. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jackson123
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check file exist in a directory or not

HI folks, can any one tell me how to check whether the file is existed in a directory or not . let me tell you my requirement : if the file is existed i should display a one message or else i have to send a mail .. i have the mail logic .. but I'm failed to check file existence .. please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan008
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find if a directory exist from a list of the path

Hello, i want to script on sh to check from a path if the directory exist and isn't empty. I explain: path is : /aaa/bbb/ccc/ccc_name/ddd/ Where the cccc_name is in a list, so i think it's $1 My command find -name /aaa/bbb/ccc/$1/ddd/ didn't work because my $1 is the same and not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A file or directory in the path does not exist

I'm brand new to AIX and I looked up how to print this file and it was working but now I'm not able to do it all of a sudden. the file name is rom1.txt so this is what i wrote in the command line and I know I'm in the right directory. In bold is what I seem to be messing up with. prod @ root... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dark0Prince
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to find and get a file in an entire directory with an excluded directory specified?

How to get a file 'zlib.h' in an entire directory with an excluded directory specified lives under that starting directory by using find command, as it failed on: $ find . -name 'zlib.h' -a -ipath 'CHROME.TMP' -prune -o -print it'll just list entirely up (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
2 Replies
list directory(1m)														list directory(1m)

NAME
list directory - Displays a list of all the directories whose names match the specified directory name SYNOPSIS
cdscp list directory directory-name [with attribute-name = attribute-value] ARGUMENTS
The full name of a specific directory. The last simple name can contain wildcard characters. The name of a particular attribute. The value of a particular attribute. DESCRIPTION
The list directory command displays a list of all the directories whose names match the specified directory name. The last simple name can contain wildcards. You can use a with attribute-name = attribute-value clause to limit output only to directories whose attributes have values equal to the specified values. A space must precede and follow the = (equals sign). Privilege Required You must have read permission to the parent directory. If you use a with attribute-name = attribute-value clause in the command, you also need read or test permission to the selected directories. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command displays the names of all the directories in the /.:/sales directory: cdscp> list directory /.:/sales/* LIST DIRECTORY /.../abc.com/sales AT 1991-10-15-15:43:58 atlanta austin boston chicago ontario ny seattle RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: add directory(1m), create directory(1m), delete directory(1m), remove directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) list directory(1m)