Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Migrating from Unix to Linux
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Migrating from Unix to Linux Post 302383610 by solaris_user on Wednesday 30th of December 2009 09:55:22 AM
Old 12-30-2009
not sure but maybe is you copy /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Migrating all users from one linux server to another...

Hello, I've been tasked with migrating users from one linux server to another new linux server. This is how I was thinking of doing it: 1.) Open up an NFS connection between the two servers, cp -Rp /home/ to the new server and then append the old /etc/group & /etc/passwd to the existing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Migrating from NT to UNIX

I'm looking for a sample plan for migrating my OS from NT to UNIX that I can build a project plan on. Does anyone know of a resource? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: llehew
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Migrating fom windows to UNIX/Linux

Does anyone have any links where i can find informaton about migrating from windows to unix/linux? Itīs both servers and clients that is on discussion. /Henke (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: henke
2 Replies

4. AIX

Migrating AIX users to Linux

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone out there knew if it was possible to migrate users from AIX to Linux. What we want to do is install OpenLDAP on a Linux machine and port all the users over to LDAP. I've googled around and could only find a few things, such as mrgpwd - but that only comes... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: djcronos
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

migrating unix mp-ras 32 bit to linux suse 64 bit

Hi. I need to migrate the whole unix environment from a Unix mp-ras 32 bit to a Linux Suse 64 bit. 1) can i use cpio to copy the data? 2) can i just copy the users from unix to linux or do i have to create them by hand 3) are there any other concerns i should worry about? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

6. AIX

Migrating C Application from AIX to Linux

Hi All, I am currently facing new problem of migrating C(c language) application from AIX machine to Linux machine. We are using GCC to compile the source code.. But facing with the compilation issues, with lot of GCC C libs differing between AIX box to Linux box... Pls help me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikc
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

Migrating from HP UX to LINUX/SOLARIS- which one is more preferable?

Hi all, We have an application that is running on HP-UX operating system (11i). the application is built using C, C++, ProC and ProC++ codes. we have been given two choices for migration: LINUX and SOLARIS. I would like to know the differences between the three OS and which OS to prefer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pb0069950
3 Replies

8. Linux

Migrating RCS from HP-UX to Linux

Hello all, We would be migrating from HP-UX 11 to Red Hat Linux 5 shortly. On HP-UX we've been using RCS (Revision Control system). On RHEL I think there is an equivilant utility called Subversion..Is there a way to export the current contents from RCS in HP-UX and import it into Linux's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Migrating to UNIX

I am looking for a stable, reliable system to replace my current Windows systems in the home. These are simple systems that I purchased from the local Big Box store. I have heard many good things about Unix and it's various children and it sounds like a good option to me. I have worked... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: donschurter
2 Replies
pwconv(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)