Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Awk doubt
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk doubt Post 302383520 by zaxxon on Wednesday 30th of December 2009 04:56:27 AM
Old 12-30-2009
To write your first line of code shorter, you can do:
Code:
awk 'NF' infile

There is no need to store anything in a variable; print is not needed in this case since the default action of awk is to print.

For your question what the difference is:
Code:
awk 'NF{s=$0}{print s}' sample.txt

In difference to your 1st line of code, this 2nd line does check for 2 conditions. The 1st is, that if there is a number of fields (NF) greater than zero, it will do the action in the curled brackets. It does this for every line of your input file. It also does this with all other actions and your next action for every line is to print the value of your variable s.
If s is not filled since NF was not true, it still has the former value stored and prints it. So it will give more output than the 1st command line where everything is inside one curled brackets.
With 1st command it will just pass the lines with NF being not true ie. pass the empty lines. In the 2nd command it will print out current value of s even if it hits a new line, since the second curled bracket has no condition in front of it and will always be executed.

I hope it was understandable Smilie

Last edited by zaxxon; 12-30-2009 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Trying to explain better ^^

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk doubt

I'm having a file with 5 fields. I want to sort that file according to one field no 3. How shall I do using awk programming. Any input appreciatable. regards, vadivel. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadivel
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt in AWK

Hi all, column1 -------- 33 44 55 66 please provide the script using awk command to dispaly output 55. Help apperciated.. thanks, Nirmal (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abnirmal
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk doubt

hi how to get the values in two columns (may be 2nd and 5th column) of a file line by line. either i want to get the two fields into different variables and use a for loop to get these values line by line. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradee
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

doubt about awk

i have a file like this: awk.lst smith : sales : 1200 : 2 jones:it:25000 : 2 roger : it : 1500 : 2 ravi | acct | 15000 i have 3 doubts 1) when i say awk -F ":" '$2 ~ /'it'/ {print $0}' awk.lst i am not able to get jones in the ouput , is it because of space issue? 2)how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soujanya_srk
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK doubt

Hello people I have a doubt about awk... I´m using it to create a condition where I do not want to use the 0 (zero) value of a certain column. - This is the original file: string,number,date abc,0,20050101 def,1,20060101 ghi,2,20040101 jkl,12,20090101 mno,123,20020101... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rafael.Buria
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt in awk

Hi , I have a file in the below format: 1.txt awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%1s", "man" )} ' awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%9s", "women" )} ' awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%56s", "human")} ' ## ### ## echo "$!" ## awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%1s", "aaa" )} ' awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%19s", "bbb" )} ' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

doubt on awk

I have executed the below command: find . -name "Ks*" -type f -exec ls -ltr {} \; | awk '{printf("%ld %s %d %s \n",$5,$6,$7,$8,$9)}' and here is the output: 1282 Oct 7 2004 51590 Jul 10 2006 921 Oct 7 2004 1389 Jun 4 2003 1037 May 19 2004 334 Mar 24 2004 672 Jul 8 2003 977... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a doubt in awk

instead of writing print command in awk, i saw in some posts that we can simply write a number before we end the awk command and it will print the file. As given below: $awk '{some manipulation; print}' filename $awk '{some manipulation}1' filename I also tried replacing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PranavEcstasy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt on using AWK

DE_CODE|1{AXXANY}1APP_NAME|2{TELCO}2LOC|NY DE_CODE|1{AXXATX}1APP_NAME|2{TELCO}2LOC|TX DE_CODE|1{AXXABT}1APP_NAME|2{TELCO}2LOC|BT DE_CODE|1{AXXANJ}1APP_NAME|2{TELCO}2LOC|NJ i have out put file like below i have to convert it in the format as below. DE_CODE = AXXANY APP_NAME= TELCO LOC = NY... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in awk

Hi, I got a below requirement from this forum, but the solution provided was not clear. Below is the requirement Input file A 1 Z A 1 ZZ B 2 Y B 2 AA Required output B Y|AA A Z|ZZ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
5 Replies
keyhead(1)						      General Commands Manual							keyhead(1)

Name
       keyhead - Change FITS or IRAF header keyword names

Synopsis
       keyhead [-hknv] <FITS or IRAF file> kw1=kw1a kw2=kwd2a ... kwn=kwdna

Description
       Change the names of keywords in FITS or IRAF image headers.  Each current image keyword whose entry is to be modified should be followed by
       an equal sign and a second keyword, with no intervening spaces.	If the -r option is used, the value of the second keyword is transfered to
       that  of the first. Otherwise, the name of the first keyword is changed to the second keyword.  To change keywords in a list of files, sub-
       stitute @<listfile> for the file names on the command line.  To change a lot of keywords, put them, one pair separated by an = sign with no
       spaces  per  line, in a file and substitute @<keylistfile> on the command line.	If two @ commands are present, the program will figure out
       which contains file names and which contains keywords.  Lines in a keyword list file which do not contain an = are ignored.

Options
       -h     Write HISTORY line into output header with sethead version, current date and time, and names of keywords set.

-k     Write KEYHEAD keyword into output header with the keyhead version, current date and time, and names  of  keywords  whose	names  are
	      changed.	If a KEYHEAD keyword already exists, move the old value to a HISTORY line before writing the new value

-n     Write a new file with an added "e" before the extension.

-r letter
	      Replace  value of 1st keyword with value of 2nd keyword instead of changing the name of the 1st keyword to the 2nd keyword.  The 2nd
	      keyword remains in the header.  If the 1st keyword does not exist in the header, it is created.

-v     Print confirmations of each keyword change.

Web Page
       http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/software/wcstools/keyhead.html

Author
       Doug Mink, SAO (dmink@cfa.harvard.edu)

6 July 2001							     WCSTools								keyhead(1)