Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to extract the required lines? Post 302383303 by ahmad.diab on Tuesday 29th of December 2009 07:38:23 AM
Old 12-29-2009
Another approach...using gawk,nawk or awk:-

Code:
awk 'NR>1 && ($1 != p) {print a[c-1]"\n"a[c] ;c=0} {p=$1 ; a[++c]=$0 }' infile

SmilieSmilieSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep required pattern and next 2 or 3 lines

dear ones pl.kindly help me 1) how to print(grep) required pattern and following 2 or 3 lines. 2) grep required pattern(to print)+above 2 lines+below 2 or 3 lines.from a report file. ex: we have some report file kf askfjsk fksaj fk skf sjfksjd kff sjfkjs kf jskdjfklsd jfklsdf sdkfjsd fsd... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvvsnm
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To extract the required lines from a file

I have a files in a directory in this format data data data ---BEGIN CERT----- data data data ---END CERT ----- Now, I want to extract the lines starting from --BEGIN CERT-- and write the contents till the end of file into a new file.How can I do this for all the files in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshg
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How get only required lines & delete the rest of the lines in file

Hiiii I have a file which contains huge data as a.dat: PDE 1990 1 9 18 51 28.90 24.7500 95.2800 118.0 6.1 0.0 BURMA event name: 010990D time shift: 7.3000 half duration: 5.0000 latitude: 24.4200 longitude: 94.9500 depth: 129.6000 Mrr: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script required to extract a specific snippet from the entire file.

Hi, I have a file with the following structure. XXXXX........... YYYYY........... ................. .................. ZZZZZZ...... qwerty_start.............. .................. ................. .................. querty_end................ .............................. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abinash
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract only required elements from XML.

Hi , I have an XML like this. <Request> <SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"> <version>v44</version><messageId>7247308192</messageId><timeToLive>72000000000</timeToLive> </Request>. I want to extract on version and messageId. As in my output... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extract info if fulfill condition required

Input file (4 DATA record shown in this case): DATA AA0110 ACCESSION AA0110 VERSION AA0110 GI:157412239 FEATURES Location/Qualifiers length 1..1170 1..1700 /length="1170" position ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract lines with specific words with addition 2 lines before and after

Dear all, Greetings. I would like to ask for your help to extract lines with specific words in addition 2 lines before and after these lines by using awk or sed. For example, the input file is: 1 ak1 abc1.0 1 ak2 abc1.0 1 ak3 abc1.0 1 ak4 abc1.0 1 ak5 abc1.1 1 ak6 abc1.1 1 ak7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amanda Low
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern,extract value(s) from next line, extract lines having those extracted value(s)

I have hundreds of files to process. In each file I need to look for a pattern then extract value(s) from next line and then search for value(s) selected from point (2) in the same file at a specific position. HEADER ELECTRON TRANSPORT 18-MAR-98 1A7V TITLE CYTOCHROME... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshwaniSharma09
7 Replies

9. AIX

Grepping before and after lines for required string

Hi All, I am new to AIX unix . i need to grep for a pattern and if pattern is found then i need 3 before the pattern line found and 3 lines after the pattern found. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolvibh
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies
ucblinks(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands					      ucblinks(1B)

NAME
ucblinks - adds /dev entries to give SunOS 4.x compatible names to SunOS 5.x devices SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ucblinks [-e rulebase] [-r rootdir] DESCRIPTION
ucblinks creates symbolic links under the /dev directory for devices whose SunOS 5.x names differ from their SunOS 4.x names. Where possi- ble, these symbolic links point to the device's SunOS 5.x name rather than to the actual /devices entry. ucblinks does not remove unneeded compatibility links; these must be removed by hand. ucblinks should be called each time the system is reconfiguration-booted, after any new SunOS 5.x links that are needed have been created, since the reconfiguration may have resulted in more compatibility names being needed. In releases prior to SunOS 5.4, ucblinks used a nawk rule-base to construct the SunOS 4.x compatible names. ucblinks no longer uses nawk for the default operation, although nawk rule-bases can still be specifed with the -e option. The nawk rule-base equivalent to the SunOS 5.4 default operation can be found in /usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk. OPTIONS
-e rulebase Specify rulebase as the file containing nawk(1) pattern-action statements. -r rootdir Specify rootdir as the directory under which dev and devices will be found, rather than the standard root directory /. FILES
/usr/ucblib/ucblinks.awk sample rule-base for compatibility links ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
devlinks(1M), disks(1M), ports(1M), tapes(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 13 Apr 1994 ucblinks(1B)