Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting decrement a four part number in shell script Post 302383251 by ahmad.diab on Tuesday 29th of December 2009 03:13:28 AM
Old 12-29-2009
Code as below...you can let x be read by while loop from a file.

Code:
x=1.21.1.4
y=${x##[0-9]*.}
while  [[ ${y} -ge  0 ]]
do
echo ${x%.[0-9]*}.${y}
(( y-- ))
done

Code:
o/p:-

SmilieSmilieSmilieSmilieSmilie

---------- Post updated at 10:13 ---------- Previous update was at 10:01 ----------

I mean in above that if you have
a file like below:-

Code:
cat file.txt:-

Just add another while loop to read
the value of x :-

New code:-

Code:
while read x
do
y=${x##[0-9]*.}
while  [[ ${y} -ge  0 ]]
do
echo "${x%.[0-9]*}"".""${y}"
(( y-- ))
done
done < file.txt

Code:
o/p:-

SmilieSmilieSmilieSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a part of shell script only after particular date and time

I have created a simple shell script... say test.sh Contents of test.sh ================ service named restart cp /etc/imp.conf /backup/test/ #-- if date > 15 July 2007 11:23 pm , then only issue the commans below, else exit --- cp /etc/secondimp.conf /backup/test/ rm -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we increment or decrement a date value?

export a=`date` a=`expr $a + 1` Is it possible? if not how can i increment or decrement a date variable? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decrement using bash!!

Hi all, Thanks in Advance! I want a simple script to print today and yesterdays date. using this command date +%d%m%Y i can able get today's date but i want yesterday's date with the same format. so i tried using simple decrement operator but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anishkumarv
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decrement one from 3rd Column

Hi, I need a script that will subtract 1 from the third column of the line beginning with %, leaving all other values the same. So 158 should be 157, 308 should be 307, 458 should be 457. Before: # 30109 xyz abc Data % 30109 158 5 8 2 000023f 01f4145 # 30109 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: morrbie
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Part of the Shell script is not running via crontab, runs fine manually

Hello Team, As a part of my job we have made a script to automate a service to restart frequently. Script having two functions when executing it's should find the existing service and kill it, then start the same service . Verified the script it's working fine when executing... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
18 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - Replace just part of a single line in a file.....

Hey guy's.... I new here, But im working on a school project, and I am not really good at programming. In fact, this is the only programming class that I need because programming is not what I am majoring in. But I have everything done in this shell script except for this last part..... ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hxdrummerxc
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to create runtime variables based on the number of parameters passed in the script

Hi All, I have a script which intends to create as many variables at runtime, as the number of parameters passed to it. The script needs to save these parameter values in the variables created and print them abc.sh ---------- export Numbr_Parms=$# export a=1 while do export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script works fine as a standalone script but not as part of a bigger script

Hello all, I am facing a weird issue while executing a code below - #!/bin/bash cd /wload/baot/home/baotasa0/sandboxes_finance/ext_ukba_bde/pset sh UKBA_publish.sh UKBA 28082015 3 if then echo "Param file conversion for all the areas are completed, please check in your home directory"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substr/Instr in shell script or extract part of text

Hi, I need to extract part of a text to two variables text is "PL/SQL procedure successfully completed. ERROR ----------------------------------------------------------------- Test Error Message PLUSVAR ---------- 1" I want "Test Error Message" in one variable and "1" in another variable.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedavrath
11 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)