Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users if 4th and 5th character of sting -ge 45 then add 1 to 3rd character Post 302383109 by joeyg on Monday 28th of December 2009 11:42:07 AM
Old 12-28-2009
Tools What have you tried?

This starts the process...

Code:
$ echo W87151WR71C
W87151WR71C

$ echo W87151WR71C | cut -c4-5

$ testval=`echo W87151WR71C | cut -c4-5`

$ echo $testval

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove 5th character from Field1 & Print

Hi , I need to remove the 5th character of column1 and print the rest. Can anybody give some advice? Input: 0001c xx 0001r gg jj 0002y vv 0002p kk 0003q gg ll 0003v tt 0003t gg pp kk Output: 0001 xx 0001 gg jj (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change every 3rd character

hey champs, i have a files, whose contents are as follows, abcdefghijk lmnopqrstuv .............. .............. i want to replace every other 3rd character to some specified character. let here in this file i want to replace each 3rd character to z. abzdezghzjk lmzopzrszuv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace all after 4th character in line ?

How to replace all after 4 character at line? & convert to upper case ? google.com -> GOOG (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trump
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove 3rd and onwards occurances of a character

I have a file with "@" in every line fdgfgddfg@sfsdfdsf@dfdfd@@vfdfsdfd@ sfsdfs@sdfd@gfhfgh@@ddffg@sdf@ srfgtfsdfs@sdfertrd@eergfhfgh@@ddffg@sdf@ wttrtrt@sdfd@sdfdf@@sdfdfds@@@ I need to remove all the fourth and onwards occurences of "@". so my final o/p would be fdgfgddfg@sfsdfdsf@dfdfd@... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove 3rd character from the end of a random-length string

Hi, I hope someone can share there scripting fu on my problem, I would like to delete the 3rd character from a random length of string starting from the end Example Output Hope you can help me.. Thanks in advance.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract 3rd,4th and 5th element

Hi All! I trying to execute this perl script to extract a particular field in a text file, luckily it works. But, right now I would like to extract 3 more fields in the text file but couldnt get the right syntax on how to do it. command is: perl -pe '$_ = (split(//)) . "\n"' TestDoc.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VicNetIT
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the 5th and 6th position character of a word in a file

I am trying to find/grep the 5th and 6th position character (TX) of a word in a file. I tried to do grep "....TX" file The output gives me everything in the file with TX in it. I only need the output with the TX in the 5th and 6th position of the word. Any idea Example: test1 car... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: e_mikey_2000
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function to add escape character before specified character

Hi , I am looking for a function which will do the following. 1. I have a variable which will hold few special chracter like SPECIAL_CHARS="& ;"2. I have an escape character. ESCAPE_CHAR="\"3. Now when I passed some string in the function it will return the same string but now it will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Replace character in 3rd column and leave 1rst and last

Hello to all, I have the following text where columns are separated by spaces. I want to have the 3rd column separating 3 strings with 2 "_" in the format below: LeftSring_CentralString_RightString So, in 3rd column I want to replace all "_" with "-", except the first and last "_" The... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
5 Replies