Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help with sscanf
Top Forums Programming help with sscanf Post 302383090 by botao on Monday 28th of December 2009 10:11:19 AM
Old 12-28-2009
you're missing a point ...

remember: you asked sscanf to match a pattern, and it will ;

what sscanf will not do, is to search (crawl) for a pattern, for this is the purpose of strstr ... see below:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
int main(void) {
	char A[5000] = "";
	float B = 0;
	char * begin;

strcat(A, "		hello world! WORD' name='5.3498' hello world!            ");
	begin = strstr (A, "WORD'") ;
	sscanf(begin, "WORD' name='%f", &B); // how can I match all chars before WORD and after the float ?

printf("%f\n", B);

return 0;
}

- strstr will actually find the beginning of the pattern to match, and sscanf will do what it does best: just scan ...

ok ?

good luck, and success !

alexandre botao

<< botao {dot} org >>

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sscanf function is failing

Please delete this thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
0 Replies

2. Programming

sscanf !!

I have a string Form this string, I want to extract I am unable to do that with sscanf because of the space between the words. What else can I use? #include <stdio.h> char buf_2; int main() { char *buf_1 = "\\\\?\\whats going on"; sscanf(buf_1,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
4 Replies

3. Programming

help with sscanf()!

Hi everybody, i need help with this function, i'm programming in CGI with C and i can't make this work. QUERY_STRING is something like: user=MYUSER&pass=MYPASS So, what i want is to store the strings containing the username and the password into str1 and str2 respetively, here's the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zykl0n-B
4 Replies

4. Programming

Help with sscanf

sscanf does not stop at the first "&". How can I extract "doe" ? char A = "name=john&last=doe&job=vacant&"; char B = "last"; char C = ""; char *POINTER = strstr(A, B); sscanf(POINTER + strlen(B), "=%s%*", C); printf("%s\n", C); // doe&job=vacant& (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
2 Replies

5. Programming

using sscanf

How can I separetely extract the string and int after "dribble" ? (sscanf must limit TEXT to 9 chars to avoid buffer overflows.) How come this code does not work with "dribbletext08" but does with "dribbletext05" ? int main(void) { char TEXT = ""; int NUMBER = 0; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyler
2 Replies

6. Programming

sscanf() weired behaviour

Hi with the following code int a, b; while ((n = readline (connfd, buf, sizeof(buf)-1)) > 0) { buf = '\0'; if (sscanf(buf,"%d %d",&a,&b) != 2) snprintf (buf, sizeof(buf), "data error\r\n"); else { printf("\nRecvd %d and %d",a,b); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princebadshah
1 Replies

7. Programming

Format specifier for sscanf() in C

Hello, I have formatted lines delimited by colon ":", and I need to parse the line into two parts with sscanf() with format specifiers. infile.txt: Sample Name: sample1 SNPs : 91 MNPs : 1 Insertions : 5 Deletions ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
13 Replies
strstr(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 strstr(3)

NAME
strstr - Finds a substring LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char *strstr( const char *s1, const char *s2); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: strstr(): ISO C, XPG4, XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Specifies the character string being searched. Specifies the substring to be located. DESCRIPTION
The strstr() function locates the first occurrence in the string pointed to by the s1 parameter of the sequence of bytes in the string pointed to by the s2 parameter, excluding the terminating null character. RETURN VALUES
On successful completion, the strstr() function returns a pointer to the located string or a null pointer if the string is not found. When the s2 parameter points to a string having 0 (zero) length, the strstr() function returns the string pointed to by parameter s1. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: string(3), wcsstr(3), wcswcs(3) Standards: standards(5) delim off strstr(3)