Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming multiplying a number by two without using Arithmetic and Shift operators Post 302383084 by joeyg on Monday 28th of December 2009 09:36:13 AM
Old 12-28-2009
Tools a whol;e bunch of 'if' statements?

Perhaps accompish the result with a bunch of 'if' or 'case' statements? Without understanding the purpose of the question, seems more a theoretical question. (Or, a question posed by a teacher to get a student to think of other commands?)

if x=1 then y=2
if x=2 then y=4
and so on...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error only when multiplying two numbers

Hi $ a=10 ; b=2 $ expr $a + $b 12 $ expr $a - $b 8 $ expr $a / $b 5 $ expr $a * $b expr: syntax error Any idean why I am getting this error only when multiplying two numbers. Whats the exact syntax? Thanks a lot to all in advance CSaha (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiplying Floats/Decimals

Is there a way that i can get something like this to work: Number=`expr 80 \* 10.69` i.e. To multiply an integer by a decimal or a decimal by a decimal etc...? thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rleebife
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arithmetic Operators

Hello, I have a list of 'inputs' and i want to convert those on the second list named 'Desired Outputs', but i don't know how to do it? Inputs Desired Outputs 1 2 94 4 276 8 369 10 464 12 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filda
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiplying values from two text files

Im very new to programming. But I would like to write a script which extracts and multiply values from 2 txt and output as a new file. Can someone please teach me how to write it? Thank you so much for example File A File B 1 34 1 2 2 13 2 2 3 8 3 3 File C output 1 68 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: crunchichichi
2 Replies

5. Programming

problem in multiplying arrays

Hi, this is my code.It's simple : there are 2 2D arrays and the multiplied to C. #include<stdio.h> #include<sys/shm.h> #include<sys/stat.h> #include<stdlib.h> main() { int *A; //A int *B; //B int *C; //C int i,j,x,k,d; int id; ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: giampoul
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic (number-based) if condition

Hi Folks I'm looking for help with if statement. I'm reading the file with header (starts with 0 on position 1 in the line) and data (starts with 1 on position 1 in the line). I have to check if the number from header (should be number of data rows) equal actual count of the data rows. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: viallos
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiplying array element

I am trying to take all the elements of an array and multiply them by 2, and then copy them to a new array. Here is what I have i=0 for true in DMGLIST do let DMGSIZES2="${DMGSIZES}"*2 let i++ done unset i echo ${DMGSIZES2} It does the calculation correctly for the first element,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
7 Replies

8. Programming

Multiplying 2D arrays using fork()

HI, i am trying to multiply 2 2D arrays (a,b) using fork. The answer will be at c. Each child have to calculate 1 row of c. The code is right, as i think of it, with no errors but i dont get the correct c array... I think there is maybe a mistake in i dimension ... Anyway, here is the code: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: giampoul
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a loop for multiplying columns

I have 2 files, that look like this: ID SNP1 SNP2 SNP3 SNP4 A1 1 2 0 2 A2 2 0 1 1 A3 0 2 NA 1 A4 1 1 0 2 and this: SNP score SNP1 0.5 SNP2 0.7 SNP3 0.8 SNP4 0.2 Basically, all of the SNP-values are 0,1, 2 or NA, and they each have a score, listed in the second file. The total... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayakj
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiplying lines of file that contain certain letter by value

I am trying to remove the last letter in a file and then multiply each line (which contained this letter) by 500. This is what I have: 1499998A 1222222A 1325804A 1254556 1235 9998 777 cat /tmp/listzz |gawk '{print $4}'|gawk '{gsub(//, ""); print } This removes the A... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies
integer(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      integer(3pm)

NAME
integer - Perl pragma to use integer arithmetic instead of floating point SYNOPSIS
use integer; $x = 10/3; # $x is now 3, not 3.33333333333333333 DESCRIPTION
This tells the compiler to use integer operations from here to the end of the enclosing BLOCK. On many machines, this doesn't matter a great deal for most computations, but on those without floating point hardware, it can make a big difference in performance. Note that this only affects how most of the arithmetic and relational operators handle their operands and results, and not how all numbers everywhere are treated. Specifically, "use integer;" has the effect that before computing the results of the arithmetic operators (+, -, *, /, %, +=, -=, *=, /=, %=, and unary minus), the comparison operators (<, <=, >, >=, ==, !=, <=>), and the bitwise operators (|, &, ^, <<, >>, |=, &=, ^=, <<=, >>=), the operands have their fractional portions truncated (or floored), and the result will have its fractional portion truncated as well. In addition, the range of operands and results is restricted to that of familiar two's complement integers, i.e., -(2**31) .. (2**31-1) on 32-bit architectures, and -(2**63) .. (2**63-1) on 64-bit architectures. For example, this code use integer; $x = 5.8; $y = 2.5; $z = 2.7; $a = 2**31 - 1; # Largest positive integer on 32-bit machines $, = ", "; print $x, -$x, $x + $y, $x - $y, $x / $y, $x * $y, $y == $z, $a, $a + 1; will print: 5.8, -5, 7, 3, 2, 10, 1, 2147483647, -2147483648 Note that $x is still printed as having its true non-integer value of 5.8 since it wasn't operated on. And note too the wrap-around from the largest positive integer to the largest negative one. Also, arguments passed to functions and the values returned by them are not affected by "use integer;". E.g., srand(1.5); $, = ", "; print sin(.5), cos(.5), atan2(1,2), sqrt(2), rand(10); will give the same result with or without "use integer;" The power operator "**" is also not affected, so that 2 ** .5 is always the square root of 2. Now, it so happens that the pre- and post- increment and decrement operators, ++ and --, are not affected by "use integer;" either. Some may rightly consider this to be a bug -- but at least it's a long-standing one. Finally, "use integer;" also has an additional affect on the bitwise operators. Normally, the operands and results are treated as unsigned integers, but with "use integer;" the operands and results are signed. This means, among other things, that ~0 is -1, and -2 & -5 is -6. Internally, native integer arithmetic (as provided by your C compiler) is used. This means that Perl's own semantics for arithmetic operations may not be preserved. One common source of trouble is the modulus of negative numbers, which Perl does one way, but your hardware may do another. % perl -le 'print (4 % -3)' -2 % perl -Minteger -le 'print (4 % -3)' 1 See "Pragmatic Modules" in perlmodlib, "Integer Arithmetic" in perlop perl v5.16.3 2013-02-26 integer(3pm)