Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to get rid of ' from variable? Post 302382949 by radoulov on Sunday 27th of December 2009 11:29:02 AM
Old 12-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesByars
thanks all for the answers,

i was just hoping to find out if there is a way using built in ksh functionality
A built in ksh functionality for what? To remove the sigle quote character from a variable? To extract the characters after the = sign?
What version of the Korn Shell are you using: ksh88, ksh93, pdksh?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to get rid of DCHP

Hi all:- I am using Sun8 Intel PC in a network and have IP allocated by DHCP. Now I got a static IP and want to configure my PC for this new IP and disable DHCP. How can I do that ? Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
6 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to get rid of DCHP ?

Hi all:- I am using Sun8 Intel PC in a network and have IP allocated by DHCP. Now I got a static IP and want to configure my PC for this new IP and disable DHCP. How can I do that ? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
3 Replies

3. Solaris

getting rid of ^H

Hello everybody I have a very annoying problem on my Solaris (Unix in general) servers. When I open a shell and press the backspace button, it results in a ^H character being printed on screen. I can resolve it by typing stty erase <backspace>, but does anyone know how I can prevent the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

4. Debian

Getting rid of grub

ok so i have two HDs on my PC, on the 1st one (master) i have w2k running, i decided to install debian on the second (slave). During the install, i was asked if i wanted to install grub, i said yes. Now debian starts just fine. Windows on the hand now takes forever to load (ie like two minutes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jad
4 Replies

5. Solaris

how to get rid of ok prompt

Hi: My ultra 10 booted up to the ok prompt. does anyone how to get to the # prompt in normal mode? Alan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alanj9000
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get rid of ==>

ok the assignment question: That English paper you were writing on the works of Lewis Carroll is due in a few hours and you have forgeotten the name of the text file in which you has written a number of quotations to use in your paper. Luckily, you know that the file is somewhere in your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mek86
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get rid of ^M in the file

Hi I have a file wich contains ^M characters, looks like these are from DOS, Is there a way to get rid of them? Thanks -A (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get rid of ^[[D

Hi All, Im selecting a large record from a table and putting it in a file in the unix box. The file has a hidden character "^[[D " present in it. Can any one help me in getting rid of the character Thanks in advance, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhan@29
4 Replies

9. Linux

How to get rid of ^m

Hi all, I am new to unix....pls help me with this. I have a binary file generating output by passing arguments in bash.when i open the output file in VI i can see that ^m is included in between most of lines,as a result when i pass this file to my java application it dosent parse the data... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asheshrocky
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting rid of ^M

I have a text file with hundreds of 32-character hash codes in it, each terminated with a linefeed (/l, or ^M). 185ead08e45a5cbb51e9f7b0b384aaa2 57643e1a17252a9fc746d49c3da04168 60cba11d09221d52aaabb5db30f408a2 2b75ee6e5c2efc31b4ee9a190d09a4df ...... etc. I want to create a file for each... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: teledon
6 Replies
times(1)							   User Commands							  times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a variable assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name genera- tion are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Apr 1994 times(1)