Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming File access from multiple processes or threads? Post 302382708 by rrstone on Thursday 24th of December 2009 01:28:09 PM
Old 12-24-2009
In case of threads mutex can hold the write access ( which means only one thread writes at any time and all threads can read simultaneously ) . When some thread wants to write to file he should obtain the mutex first .

In linux ( ubuntu ) :
sudo apt-get install libpth-dev
man pth ( look for mutex )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to use pipe() in multiple threads?

Hi, I have a program that runs two threads in stead of two processes. I want to use pipe to redirect the output of the first thread to the input of the second thread. One thread is continuously writing to a pipe, and the other thread will read from the pipe. How do I do that? Is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wminghao
2 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

access old threads

i would like to see some of my olds post and threads so i can compile them for future use but when i tried to search all of my post some of them were not present. how can i have access from these threads? thanks a lot! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: inquirer
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

How to choose Multiple process or Multiple threads?

Hi All, Please explain me when i have to use multiple process and when I have to use Multiple threads? Please give me an example.It will be very helpful for me. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashleykumar
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple processes writing on the same file simultaneously

Hi All, I have encountered a problem,please help me. I have a script in which multiple processes are writing on to the same file . How should I stop this , I mean lock mechanism can be implemented or we can write the at different files and then concatenate the files. What would be a better... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sayantan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kernel giving access for multiple users to access files

hi all, i want to know y kernel is giving access for multiple users to access a file when one user may be the owner is executing that file. Because other user can manipulate that file when the other user is executing that file, it will give the unexpected result to owner . plz help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimmyuk
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multiple processes write to log file at the same time

If we have 3 process to write to same log file at the same time like below. will it cause the data outdated because the multiple process writing same time? It this a safe way to keep the log for multiple process? p1 >> test.log &; p2 >> test.log &; p3 >> test.log & Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: casttree
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring cpu usage of mysql processes/threads/queries without any tool

hi all, i want to monitor mysql processes/threads/queries with respect to cpu usage.how can i do it? show processlist is of no use as no information abt cpu usage is given. plz help (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitmahambre
7 Replies

8. Linux

Linux Processes, Threads, scheduling header files

Hello everyone i am new to Linux. could anyone help me with the names of the Linux processes, threads and scheduling header files. I need them to write a documentation on Linux processes and threads. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bee_in_toronto
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to create multiple threads

Hi , i need to run multiple scripts parallely ,on my server....i have 8 cpus . planning to run minimum of 6 scripts paralley ....could you please suggest someone . thanks in advance , (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huvan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to access multiple file and operate on single file

We have three files as mentioned below: 1. main_file.txt: This is the file in which all operations will be done. Which means this file will be signed by using the below two files 2. signature_file.txt: This is a status file and contains two signatures. 3. command.txt:file contains two commands... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetanojha
2 Replies
pthread_rwlockattr_getpshared(3T)										 pthread_rwlockattr_getpshared(3T)

NAME
pthread_rwlockattr_getpshared(), pthread_rwlockattr_setpshared() - get or set the process-shared attribute SYNOPSIS
PARAMETERS
attr Pointer to the read-write lock attributes object whose attributes are to be set/retrieved. pshared This parameter either specifies the new value of the process-shared attribute (set function) or points to the memory loca- tion where the process-shared attribute of attr is to be returned (get function). DESCRIPTION
The attributes object attr must have been previously initialized with the function before these functions are called. Read-Write locks can be used only by threads within the process or shared by threads in multiple processes. The process-shared attribute in a read-write lock attributes object describes who may use the read-write lock. The legal values for the process-shared attribute are: This option permits a read-write lock to be operated upon by any thread that has access to the memory where the read-write lock is allocated. The application is responsible for allocating the read-write lock in memory that multiple processes can access. The read-write lock can only be operated upon by threads created within the same process as the thread that initialized the read-write lock. If threads of differing processes attempt to operate on such read-write lock, the behavior is undefined. The default value of process-shared is is used to set the process-shared attribute in the initialized attributes object attr. The new value of the process-shared attribute of attr is set to the value specified in the pshared parameter. retrieves the value of the process-shared attribute from the read-write lock attributes object attr. The value of the process-shared attribute of attr is returned in the pshared parameter. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, and return zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error (the variable is not set). ERRORS
If any of the following occur, the and functions return the corresponding error number: is not defined and these functions are not supported. For each of the following conditions, if the condition is detected, the and functions return the corresponding error number: The value specified by attr is invalid. The value specified by pshared is not a legal value. The value pshared points to an illegal address. WARNINGS
If a read-write lock is created with the process-shared attribute defined as the cooperating processes should have access to the memory in which the read-write lock is allocated. AUTHOR
and were developed by X/Open. SEE ALSO
pthread_create(3T), pthread_rwlockattr_init(3T), pthread_rwlock_init(3T). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
Pthread Library pthread_rwlockattr_getpshared(3T)