Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian format/reinstall debian from CD after wrong installation Post 302382556 by pludi on Wednesday 23rd of December 2009 04:41:20 PM
Old 12-23-2009
Try changing the gateway first. Boot the system, log in as root, open /etc/network/interfaces in your preferred editor, and change the "gateway" line to the correct value. After that run
Code:
/etc/init.d/networking restart

and you should be done.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

debian network installation

we have separate repo for the ftp installation. I copied vmlinuz and initrd from the repo(stable disti) and booted my lapton from it(after modyfing the grub). Now the problem is setup is looking for .iso file (?). Why do i need iso file ? without iso we can start the shell . So can we make use of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yogesh_powar
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem in new debian installation

Hi All, I have insatll one debian OS and facing the following the problems: 1. I want that when i type http://ip.address/wecome.html it should show my welcome.html page. but i am unabe to do rather i am abe to do by following http://ip.address/cgi-bin/welcome.html 2. i am unable to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gauri_agr
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

OpenGL installation on Debian Linux

Hi, I need your help in installing OpenGL in my Debian (ubuntu) Linux PC. Please elaborate the steps in a clear manner, so that I may follow the installation procedure without getting in to any problem. Also, please tell me what are the libraries should I link my program with, what are the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Prep for Oracle Installation on solaris 10 gone wrong

Hi All, I was trying to install Oracle 10g on Solaris 10 using instructions of Solaris 8. I realized about the document mismatch later on. There are some changes enlisted in the Solaris 8 set up which are not applicable to Solaris 10. I came to know about this when the IP address in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumeet
1 Replies

5. Debian

Linux Mint Debian 32 bit installation using Windows (using something like wubi or mint4Linux) )

Hello , Im new at Linux and have problem with instalation Other Mint version has an instalation file like mint4linux , Ubuntu has a wubi to install it through Windows Linux Mint Debian 32 bit doesint has such software, I have tried to use it from other iso but its doesint work ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: edgkkk
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing perl script in Linux gives :Exec format error. Wrong Architecture

i have perl script that used to be working great , once i edit it in windows and convert it to UTF-8 and then via FTP return it . also did: chmod +x foo.pl and then when i try to run it : ./foo.pl im getting this error: ./foo.pl: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Output coming in wrong format....

Hi team, getting output logs wrong in different format from telnet script ... getting Output.txt macro_outdoor_dist-6.0.0(v4_0_2) DN:1.3.903 (1101:100:11w:500:3:2:103:aa) macro_outdoor_dist-8.1.0(v3_1_0) DN:1.3.409 (N/A)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Mankar
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify lines with wrong format in a file and fix

Gurus, I have a data file which has a certain number of columns say 101. It has one description column which contains foreign characters and due to this some times, those special characters are translated to new line character and resulting in failing the process. I am using the following awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tumsri
4 Replies
gateways(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       gateways(4)

NAME
gateways - Specifies Internet routing information to the routed daemon SYNOPSIS
/etc/gateways DESCRIPTION
The /etc/gateways file identifies gateways for the routed daemon. Ordinarily, the routed daemon queries the network and builds routing tables. The routed daemon builds the tables from routing information transmitted by other hosts directly connected to the network. How- ever, there may be gateways that this command cannot identify through its queries. These unidentified gateways are known as distant gate- ways. Such gateways should be identified in the /etc/gateways file, which the routed daemon reads when it starts. The general format of an file entry in the /etc/gateways file is: Destination Name1 gateway Name2 metric Value Type The following is a brief description of each element in an /etc/gateways file entry: A keyword that indicates whether the route is to a network or to a specific host. The two possible keywords are net and host. The name associated with Destination. Name1 can be either a symbolic name (as used in the /etc/hosts or /etc/networks file) or an Internet address specified in dotted-decimal format. An indicator that the following string identifies the gateway host. The name or address of the gateway host to which messages should be forwarded. An indicator that the next string represents the hop count to the destination host or network. The hop count, or number of gateways, from the local network to the destination network. A keyword that indicates whether the gateway should be treated as active, passive, or external. The three possible keywords are as follows: An active gateway is treated like a network interface. That is, it is expected to exchange RIP (Routing Information Protocol) routing information. Information about it is maintained in the internal routing tables as long as it is active and is included in any routing information that is transmitted through RIP. If it does not respond for a period of time, the route associated with it is deleted from the internal routing tables. A passive gateway is not expected to exchange RIP routing information. Information about it is maintained in the routing tables indefinitely and is included in any routing information that is transmitted through RIP. An external gateway is identified to inform the routed daemon that another routing process will install such a route and that alternative routes to that destination should not be installed. Information about external gateways is not maintained in the internal rout- ing tables and is not transmitted through RIP. Note that these routes must be to networks. EXAMPLES
To specify a route to a network through a gateway host with an entry in the gateways file, enter: net net2 gateway host4 metric 4 passive This example specifies a route to a network, net2, through the gateway host4. The hop count metric to net2 is 4, and the gateway is treated as passive. To specify a route to a host through a gateway host with an entry in the gateways file, enter: host host2 gate- way host4 metric 4 passive This example specifies a route to a host, host2, through the gateway host4. The hop count metric to host2 is 4, and the gateway is treated as passive. To specify a route to a host through an active Internet gateway with an entry in the gateways file, enter: host host10 gateway 192.100.11.5 metric 9 active This example specifies a route to a specific host, host10, through the gateway 192.100.11.5. The hop count metric to host10 is 9 and the gateway is treated as active. To specify a route to a host through a passive Internet gateway with an entry in the gateways file, enter: host host10 gateway 192.100.11.5 metric 9 passive This example specifies a route to a specific host, host10, through the gateway 192.100.11.5. The hop metric count to host10 is 9 and the gateway is treated as passive. To specify a route to a network through an external gateway, enter a line in the following format: net net5 gateway host7 metric 11 external This example specifies a route to a network, net5, through the gateway host7. The hop count metric to net5 is 11 and the gateway is treated as external (that is, it is not advertised through RIP, but is advertised through an unspecified routing protocol). RELATED INFORMATION
Daemons: gated(8), routed(8) delim off gateways(4)