Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users read() wont allow me to read files larger than 2 gig (on a 64bit) Post 302382520 by monkeyking on Wednesday 23rd of December 2009 01:31:01 PM
Old 12-23-2009
As you can see in the code I supplied
PHP Code:
size_t bytes_expected fsize(infile);
  if ((
data =(char *) malloc(bytes_expected)) == NULL)

err(EX_OSERR"data malloc"); 
The problem is not related to the size_t, part but solely to the 'read' function.
If it was a problem with the size_t the malloc would complain.

The max size_t on a ubuntu64 is 18446744073709551615.

The compiler flag didn't work.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I use read to read content of a variable

Can I use the read command to read the contents of a variable? I'm trying by using the following code and getting nothing back. I'm in a Linux environment. #!/bin/ksh IFS=~ VAR1=1~2~3~4 echo $VAR1 | read a b c d print "$a $b $c $d" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
9 Replies

2. Programming

Cannot read a file with read(fd, buffer, buffersize) function

# include <stdio.h> # include <fcntl.h> # include <stdlib.h> # include <sys/stat.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { int fRead, fPadded, padVal; int btRead; int BUFFSIZE = 512; char buff; if (argc != 4) { printf ("Please provide all of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naranja18she
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Embedded Newline characters with read (builtin) in KSH93

Hi Guys, Happy New Year to you all! I have a requirement to read an embedded new-line using KSH's read builtin. Here is what I am trying to do: run_sql "select guestid, address, email from guest" | while read id addr email do ## Biz logic goes here done I can take care of any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_programmer
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read statement within while read loop

hi, this is my script #!/bin/ksh cat temp_file.dat | while read line do read test if ]; then break else echo "ERROR" fi done when i execute this code , the script does wait for the user input . it directly prints "ERROR" and terminates after the no. of times as there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva1612
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read log files from last read

Hi i am looking a way to look at a log file(log.txt) from the last time I've read it. However after some days the main log file(log.txt) is rename to (log.txt.1). So now i will have two log files as below. log.txt.1 log.txt Now, i have to read the log from the point where i have left... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitsks
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from file and execute the read command

Hi, I am facing issues with the below: I have a lookup file say lookup.lkp.This lookup.lkp file contains strings delimited by comma(,). Now i want to read this command from file and execute it. So my code below is : Contents in the lookup.lkp file is : c_e,m,a,`cd $BOX | ls cef_*|tail... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vital_parsley
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] Read History function & Read Arrowkeys

Hi. How can I create a history function? (By "read" command or so) & How can I configure a read command so that the arrow keys are not displayed so funny? (^[[A) Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sinnlosername
4 Replies
tunefs(1M)																tunefs(1M)

NAME
tunefs - tune up an existing HFS file system SYNOPSIS
maxcontig] rotdelay] maxbpg] minfree] advanced read-ahead] special-device DESCRIPTION
The command is used to alter dynamic parameters that affect HFS file system layout policies. Parameters to be altered are specified by the options and arguments provided on the command line as described below. affects how the file system blocks are laid out on the disk. The default rotdelay value set by the and commands (see newfs(1M) and mkfs(1M)) is 0 milliseconds, causing file system blocks to be written and read consecutively. In general, this should be the optimal tun- ing, making the use of unnecessary. Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Set the maximum number of contiguous blocks that will be laid out before forcing a rotational delay to maxcontig (see below). The default value is because most device drivers require one interrupt per disk transfer. For device drivers that can chain several buffers together in a single transfer, set maxcontig to the maximum chain length. rotdelay is the expected time (in milliseconds) to service a transfer completion interrupt and initiate a new transfer on the same disk. It is used to determine how much rotational spacing to place between successive blocks in a file. maxbpg specifies the maximum number of blocks any single file can allocate out of a cylinder group before it is forced to begin allocating blocks from another cylinder group. Typically this value is set to about one fourth of the total blocks in a cylinder group. The intent is to prevent any single file from using up all the blocks in a single cylin- der group, thus degrading access times for all files subsequently allocated in that cylinder group. The effect of this limit is to cause large files to do long seeks more frequently than if they were allowed to allocate all the blocks in a cylinder group before seeking elsewhere. For file systems with exclusively large files, this parameter should be set higher. minfree specifies the percentage of space that is not available to normal users; i.e., the minimum free space threshold. The default value used is 10%. This value can be set to zero. If set to zero, throughput performance drops to as little as one-third of the efficiency expected when the threshold is set at 10%. Note that if minfree is raised above the current usage level, users cannot allocate files until enough files have been deleted to meet the new threshold requirement. Advanced read-ahead specifies whether the file system should use an advanced predictive read-ahead algorithm. The implementation requires more system resources in exchange for an advanced access pattern recognition. Patterns include forward sequential, backward sequential, forward strided, and backward strided. This value can be set to zero (disable) or one (enable). By default, a file system will have advanced read-ahead enabled when created. (visual) Display current values contained in the primary super-block to standard output. (all) Modify redundant super-blocks as well as the primary super-block as stipulated by the configuration options and arguments. special-device is the name of the file system to be tuned. It is either a block or character special file if the file system is not mounted, or a block special file if the file system is mounted. WARNINGS
Root file system tuning is normally done during initial system software installation. Tuning the root file system after installation has little useful effect because so many files have already been written. AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley. SEE ALSO
dumpfs(1M), mkfs(1M), newfs(1M). tunefs(1M)