Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Oracle's PGA memory Utilization Post 302382485 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 23rd of December 2009 11:27:30 AM
Old 12-23-2009
Those processes are using shared memory - ie., a lot of the memory reported is shared among all processes. So 12 processes may have the exact same 2GB in common.

We have a 32GB machine and often see 50% memory free but we can also see a slew of processes with "3GB", whose total memory appears to exceed 32GB.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Memory Utilization

All, The (fre) coloumn of the (vmstat) command, does it report the size of the free list including the swap space or it only report on the RAM (physical memory). BR, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Negm
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CPU/Memory utilization

hi guys I just want to know how to get the cpu/memory utilization of a running script? Well i know that I can use the sar command but it shows the whole system's statistics. Is it possible to get the stats of a single scirpt or a single running service? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory Utilization

Hi, Is it possible to obtain physical memory and swap memory available in HP-UX server. I tried using "top" command but i'm not able to grep the memory part exclusively... Thanks.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory utilization in HP unix

Hi, I am creating monitoring scripts in HP unix for that i need CPU utilization and memory utilization in HP unix. for CPU utilization i am using TOP command for Memory utilizaion i am not able to use glance command in scripts. means i am not able to redirect and stop. apart from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
1 Replies

5. AIX

Memory Utilization

Hi friends i have a query. we have two p-series machine(p550 & p570) with HACMP 5.3 and AIX 5.3 hosting SAP. Now i need to now is there a way or a command to check the memory utilization on these machines on daily basis. I have tried vmstat and iostat but still it's not clear. We have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathandrake13
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

memory utilization

command for checking memory utilization in HP -UX (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tushar_spatil
2 Replies

7. Solaris

[DOUBT] Memory high in idle process on Solaris 10 (Memory Utilization > 90%)

Hi Experts, Our servers running Solaris 10 with SAP Application. The memory utilization always >90%, but the process on SAP is too less even nothing. Why memory utilization on solaris always looks high? I have statement about memory on solaris, is this true: Memory in solaris is used for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
4 Replies

8. Solaris

High Memory Utilization

Hello Guys, I have one Solaris server with high memory utilization >90%. As per checking, below is the output for memory usage. bash-3.00# ps -efo pmem,uid,pid,ppid,pcpu,comm | sort -r %MEM UID PID PPID %CPU COMMAND 1.7 29496 20668 1 0.0 /opt/app/iw-home/tools/java/bin/java 1.5... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: myrpthidesis
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

CPU Utilization and Memory Utilization of Services and Applications

Hi, i am new to linux/RHEL 6.0 and i have two questions. 1) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Services running currently? 2) How to get the CPU utilization and Memory Utilization of all Applications running currently? Please help me to find the script. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nossam
2 Replies

10. AIX

Need help on memory utilization.

I have run the utility nmon in aix 6.1, and found memory utilization is 99.9% in physical. and pressed h key and then t , in that it is not showing single process which is consuming memory resources. please help me how to find out actual memory utilization. wheather 99% is real memory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies
shmop(2)							System Calls Manual							  shmop(2)

NAME
shmat(), shmdt() - shared memory operations SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
attaches the shared memory segment associated with the shared memory identifier specified by shmid to the data segment of the calling process. The segment is attached for reading if (shmflg is "true"; otherwise, it is attached for reading and writing. It is not possible to attach a segment for write only. If the shared memory segment has never been attached to by any process prior to the current call, shmaddr must be specified as zero and the segment is attached at a location selected by the operating system. That location is identical in all processes accessing that shared mem- ory object. Once the operating system selects a location for a shared memory segment, the same location will be used across any subsequent and calls on the segment until it is removed by the operation of See exceptions for MPAS processes below. If this is not the first call on the shared memory segment throughout the system, shmaddr must either be zero or contain a nonzero address that is identical to the one returned from previous calls for that segment. Even if no processes are currently attached to the segment, as long as the segment has been attached before, the same rule applies. See exceptions for MPAS processes below. If the calling process is already attached to the shared memory segment, fails and returns regardless of what value is passed in shmaddr. See exceptions for MPAS processes below. detaches from the calling process's data segment the shared memory segment located at the address specified by shmaddr. Exceptions for MPAS Processes On Itanium(R)-based platforms, MPAS (Mostly Private Address Space) processes are not restricted to passing in zero or a fixed value to calls to MPAS processes may pass in other addresses. The call may fail or succeed due to implementation dependent reasons. MGAS processes have all the restrictions outlined above. In addition, an MGAS process may not assume that it can attach at the address that an MPAS process can use to attach to the same segment. An MPAS process may be able to attach to the same shared memory segment multiple times. Success or failure of such an operation is imple- mentation dependent. Failure will be indicated by a return value of An MPAS process should specify or flags in the call to These follow the same rules as such flags passed to shmget(2). See the for details. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. n is the data segment start address of the attached shared memory segment. Failure. The shared memory segment is not attached. is set to indicate the error. The symbol is defined in the header No successful return from will return the value returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values. [EACCES] Operation permission is denied to the calling process. [EINVAL] shmid is not a valid shared memory identifier, (possibly because the shared memory segment was already removed using shmctl(2) with or the calling process is already attached to shmid. [EINVAL] shmaddr is not zero and the machine does not permit nonzero values, or shmaddr is not equal to the current attach location for the shared memory segment. [ENOMEM] The available data space is not large enough to accommodate the shared memory segment. [EMFILE] The number of shared memory segments attached to the calling process exceed the system-imposed limit. If fails, is set to one of the following values. [EINVAL] shmaddr is not the data segment start address of a shared memory segment. EXAMPLES
The following call to attaches the shared memory segment to the process. This example assumes the process has a valid shmid, which can be obtained by calling shmget(2). The following call to then detaches the shared memory segment. SEE ALSO
ipcs(1), exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), ftok(3C), shmctl(2), shmget(2), privileges(5). in STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
shmop(2)