Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo appends to a read-only file Post 302382333 by anand_bh on Wednesday 23rd of December 2009 04:41:23 AM
Old 12-23-2009
echo appends to a read-only file

echo command can append to a read-only file too.

If the file is read-only, with w flag removed, then even echo should not be able to append to the file. But it is possible.

Can anybody explain the below behaviour?

Code:
/root > echo 'sample text' > file
/root > cat file
sample text
/root > ls -l file
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  12 Dec 23 15:04 file
/root > chmod -w file
/root > ls -l file
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  12 Dec 23 15:04 file
/root > echo 'trying to append' >> file
/root > cat file
sample text
trying to append

Last edited by pludi; 12-23-2009 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script That Appends

I am trying to write a bash script that takes a file as an argument and appends my name if this file ends in .txt... I am not sure how to do this though. Any help is greatly appreciated! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GTRocker8824
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read a file to an echo statement

I was searching for an option where i can echo some strings together with the contents of a file. Eg. I was to echo the below string to a file "alter application PMS_ add variable CurrYear Y2009;" >> ${ESS_MAXL_DIR}/PMS_SUB.txt The value 2009 is coming from a file called date.txt without the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celvin VK
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read do, then echo, gives double output

Sorry about the title, but this should be fairly self-explanatory. My script seems to work, except that in the output, below, the first three lines are correct, but why does it print the additional lines 4, 5, & 6? Script: #!/bin/bash while read; do client="$(grep -m 1 Client | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrKen
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo ls to a file and then read file and selectively delete

I'm trying to write a script that will do an ls of a location, echo it into a file, and then read that file and selectively delete files/folders, so it would go something like this: cd $CLEAN_LOCN ls >>$TMP_FILE while read LINE do if LINE = $DONTDELETE skip elseif LINE =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaureenT
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read variable after echo

Hi, i want to create an user-friendly script where you are asked for two numbers. i would like that these two number to be separated with "--" for example, but i can't figure out how to do this. for example read -p "Insert lowest and highest value: " min ; echo -n "-- "; read max so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ezitoc
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read in a part of an echo line?

Hello, I have a very basic script #!/usr/bin/ksh while print ' ' print ' 1. View Command History ' print ' 2. List files in current Directory ' read opt'?Enter Option> ' ;do if ;then fc -l fi # if ;then ls -la I want to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read each line from input file, assign variables, and echo to output file?

I've got a file that looks like this (spaces before first entries intentional): 12345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 22345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN 32345650-000005000GL140227 ANNUAL HELC FEE EN I want to read through the file line by line,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read specified value from file and echo to the same location to other file.

Hello. I want to to backup some "default:" values from a file do some other job and after restore that "default:" values back. The problem is that the source and destination file has a lot of default: strings in it but with different values... So.. Here is an example: A part of my source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ausdim
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp bash script appends to file using cron instead of coping new file

I have a bash script that is running a mysql query and creating a csv file with a time stamp. It then uploads that to a ftp server. Everything works great when I manually run it. But then I have a cron job set to run every monday, wednesday and friday at 5am est. When the cron job runs, it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: akallenberger
7 Replies
line(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   line(1)

NAME
line - Reads one line from standard input SYNOPSIS
line STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: line: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None DESCRIPTION
The line command copies one line, up to and including a newline, from standard input and writes it to standard output. Use this command within a shell command file to read from your terminal. The line command always writes at least a newline character. NOTES
The line utility has no internationalization features and is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. Use the read utility instead. EXIT STATUS
Success. End-of-File. EXAMPLES
To read a line from the keyboard and append it to a file, enter: echo 'Enter comments for the log:' echo ': c' line >>log This shell procedure displays the message: Enter comments for the log: It then reads a line of text from the keyboard and adds it to the end of the file log. The echo ': c' command displays a : (colon) prompt. See the echo command for information about the c escape sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: echo(1), ksh(1), read(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: read(2) Standards: standards(5) line(1)