Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extraction of text using sed or awk command Post 302382301 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 23rd of December 2009 02:06:46 AM
Old 12-23-2009
Perhaps your awk likes the [ needs to be escaped:
Code:
pvscan | awk -F '[\[.]' '/Total/{print $2}'

or:
Code:
pvscan | sed -n '/Total/{s/[^[]*\[//;s/\..*//p}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk gods, I need your Help! Fancy log extraction

Hi! I'm trying to find a way to extract a certain amount of lines from a log file. This would allow me to "follow" a web user through our log files. Here is a sample fake log file to explain what i want to accomplish : BEGIN REQUEST sessionID=123456 boatload of lines for thread-1 detailing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnagus
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

extraction of perfect text from file.

Hi All, I have a file of the following format. <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?> <tomcat-users> <role rolename="tomcat"/> <role rolename="role1"/> <role rolename="manager"/> <role rolename="admin"/> <user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/> <user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String extraction from a text file

The following script code works great for extracting 'postmaster' from a line of text stored in a variable named string: string="PenaltyError:=554 5.7.1 Error, send your mail to postmaster@LOCALDOMAIN" stuff=$( echo $string | cut -d@ -f1 | awk '{ print $NF }' ) echo $stuff However, I need to be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleanden
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk/sed match and extraction

Hi, I have a file like this- aa 12 23 34 aa 21 34 56 aa 78 45 56 I want to print out only the lines after the last aa. How do I do this? I tried using grep -A and sed -n, but both didnt work as I wanted to. Could someone help me out please.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - horizontal and vertical text extraction

Hi, I need some help in getting extracting the specific horizontal and vertical texts in a single line. I am trying to extract few of the parameters from a config file. Your help is appreciated. Desired Output ---------------- Pool members members ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratheeshp
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed text extraction between 2 patterns using variables

Hi everyone! I'm writting a function in .bashrc to extract some text from a file. The file looks like this: " random text Begin CG step 1 random text Begin CG step 2 ... Begin CG step 100 random text" For a given number, let's say 70, I want all the text between "Begin CG... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text extraction

Dear All, I am trying to extract text from a file containing cron entries. cat /var/tmp/cron_backups/debmed_tmp < * * * * * /bell > * * * * * /belly what I am trying to do is create two text files containing all entries that begin with < and another text files containing entries with > .... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk giving error ./sample.sh: line 13: sed: command not found

Hi, I am running a script sample.sh in bash environment .In the script i am using sed and awk commands which when executed individually from terminal they are getting executed normally but when i give these sed and awk commands in the script it is giving the below errors :- ./sample.sh: line... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extraction problem with sed command

Hi All I am trying to remove the line having specific pattern from a file by using sed command I have the file named ODS_REP_SRCE_File.txt with content as: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shilpi Gupta
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with awk or sed Command to Replace Text in Files

Hello Everyone, I have many files like so: file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt Within each file I have many lines of random text separated by commas like so: abcAAA,123,defAA,456777,ghiA,789 jklB,101,mnoBBB,11211,pqrB,13111 stuCC,415,vwxCCCC,161,yzaC,718 I am trying to use SED or AWK to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: D3U5X
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)