Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: need help with posix threads
Top Forums Programming need help with posix threads Post 302382300 by brett01 on Wednesday 23rd of December 2009 02:05:31 AM
Old 12-23-2009
need help with posix threads

Hi,

I am new to posix threads. The no of threads to be created depends on the runtime. If I get the number of threads,
I need to forward declare

pthread_t mythread[n];

how to do that can I use pointers and use malloc()??

I also have another question. The pthread_join is used to make sure all the threads are completed right?? If I want to spawn new threads and execute threads when a particular set of threads get completed,How to complete it. Is my understanding of pthread_join correct??

function1()
{
for(//some n)
{

pthread_create(..,task1);
pthread_join(...,task1);
}

}

function2()
{

for(//some n)
{

pthread_create(..,task2);
pthread_join(...,task2);
}

}
Does this thing work for the model I ve said??
Thanks & Regards,
brett.

Last edited by brett01; 12-23-2009 at 04:52 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

Posix queues

Hi! Everybody%) I got a question like this: Does my FreeBSD5.1 support Posix queues. Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamazi
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to read POSIX?

how to read POSIX? poe six or not? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin.zhu
3 Replies

3. Programming

POSIX threads

Hello ! Let's supose I have a main function in C , and two POSIX threads. I give you an example down : int main() { int something; char else; void *FirstThread(); void *SecondThread(); .. <start those two pthreads ..> return 0;} void *FirstThread() { ... } void *SecondThread()... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: !_30
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Threads and Threads Count ?

Hi all, How can I get the list of all Threads and the Total count of threads under a particular process ? Do suggest !! Awaiting for the replies !! Thanks Varun:b: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
2 Replies

5. Programming

Posix

HI, When i am configuring php in SUN Solaris. I am getting the below error. configure: error: Your system seems to lack POSIX threads. Do i need to install POSIX? If so can somebody let me know where can i download POSIX for Solaris 8? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
2 Replies

6. Programming

POSIX threads and data safety

I created multiple POSIX threads (on readhat Linux) in a C program in my app. What I am doing is - I am creating threads equal to the number of CPUs in the system and and equal number of instances of a certain data structure, basically a queue implementation. I am assigning one ID to the thread... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Posix threads

Hi, consider the code below: #include <stdio.h> . . struct myStruct { char *message ; int id; }; . . . void *thread_function( void *ptr ); nt main() { pthread_t thread1, thread2 ,thread3 ; struct myStruct nico1; (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behnaz
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linkage of POSIX threads function calls

I wonder if someone knows what is the rationale behind linking function calls of the POSIX threads library at link-time vs. run-time. For example, if I create the following program: #include <pthread.h> void noop() { return; } int main() { pthread_self(); pthread_atfork(noop,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsimsa
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change value for POSIX

Hi, I have a VM with following configration . 3.10.0-693.1.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 3 08:15:31 EDT 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux My current POSIX is :-- Your environment variables take up 2011 bytes POSIX upper limit on argument length (this system): 2093093 POSIX smallest... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhayman
15 Replies
PTHREAD_JOIN(3) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   PTHREAD_JOIN(3)

NAME
pthread_join - join with a terminated thread SYNOPSIS
#include <pthread.h> int pthread_join(pthread_t thread, void **retval); Compile and link with -pthread. DESCRIPTION
The pthread_join() function waits for the thread specified by thread to terminate. If that thread has already terminated, then pthread_join() returns immediately. The thread specified by thread must be joinable. If retval is not NULL, then pthread_join() copies the exit status of the target thread (i.e., the value that the target thread supplied to pthread_exit(3)) into the location pointed to by retval. If the target thread was canceled, then PTHREAD_CANCELED is placed in the loca- tion pointed to by retval. If multiple threads simultaneously try to join with the same thread, the results are undefined. If the thread calling pthread_join() is canceled, then the target thread will remain joinable (i.e., it will not be detached). RETURN VALUE
On success, pthread_join() returns 0; on error, it returns an error number. ERRORS
EDEADLK A deadlock was detected (e.g., two threads tried to join with each other); or thread specifies the calling thread. EINVAL thread is not a joinable thread. EINVAL Another thread is already waiting to join with this thread. ESRCH No thread with the ID thread could be found. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +---------------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +---------------+---------------+---------+ |pthread_join() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +---------------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008. NOTES
After a successful call to pthread_join(), the caller is guaranteed that the target thread has terminated. The caller may then choose to do any clean-up that is required after termination of the thread (e.g., freeing memory or other resources that were allocated to the target thread). Joining with a thread that has previously been joined results in undefined behavior. Failure to join with a thread that is joinable (i.e., one that is not detached), produces a "zombie thread". Avoid doing this, since each zombie thread consumes some system resources, and when enough zombie threads have accumulated, it will no longer be possible to create new threads (or processes). There is no pthreads analog of waitpid(-1, &status, 0), that is, "join with any terminated thread". If you believe you need this function- ality, you probably need to rethink your application design. All of the threads in a process are peers: any thread can join with any other thread in the process. EXAMPLE
See pthread_create(3). SEE ALSO
pthread_cancel(3), pthread_create(3), pthread_detach(3), pthread_exit(3), pthread_tryjoin_np(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2017-09-15 PTHREAD_JOIN(3)