Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting performance of shell script ( grep command) Post 302382275 by vikash_k on Wednesday 23rd of December 2009 12:01:08 AM
Old 12-23-2009
performance of shell script ( grep command)

Hi,

I have to find out the run time for 40-45 different componets. These components writes in to a genreric log file in a single directory.

eg.

directory is LOG and the log file name format is generic_log_<process_id>_<date YY_MM_DD_HH_MM_SS>.log

i am taking the run time using the time mentioned in the log file name which is actuall the log file creation time (component start time) and component end time with the last modification time of the log file.

I have tested this and it is working fine for less no of file, but when i am executing it for a month the script is taking hell lot of time.

i am searching the following patterns to check run time for a partiular component

Code:
grep -wl "SOURCE=$COMPONENT" $(grep -wl "RUN_DATE=$SEARCH_DATE" $LOG/generic_log*

but as we have 40 components which runs on daily basis, so for 30 days we'll have around 1200 log files to search for 2 patterns, thats why the script is taking lot of time.

Can any one please advice me batter way to do this.

Last edited by zaxxon; 12-23-2009 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: use code tags please,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Performance of a shell script

Hiii, I wrote a shell script for testing purpose. I have to test around 200thousand entries with the script.When i am doing only for 6000 entries its taking almost 1hour.If i test the whole testingdata it will take huge amount of time. I just want to know is it something dependent on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to redirect the output of a grep command to a file inside a shell script

hi, i wat to get the output of a grep command in a file. but when i am trying out the same grep command in the unix prompt its working fine.. i am getting the output properly.. but when i am writing the same command inside my shell script , its just creating a new output file with no contents... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameters to Shell script for GREP command

I am using grep to capture date from a file . Since i need to use the shell script for different dates ,is it possible to pass the date parameter to the shell script the Script is as below grep -E "08 Aug 2008|2008-08-08"* somefile.txt>test.txt The above script file greps the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sud.tech
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command in shell script

Hi, I have written the following shell script - Error_String="error" var1="| grep -v note1 | grep -v note2" grep -i $Error_String /users/mqm/Pwork/Err/*.out $var1 The above script gives error saying "grep: can't open | grep: can't open grep grep: can't open -v" etc In my program... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasannasupp
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep command in shell script?

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. I had written a small code which accepts config file as parameter. In config file I mentioned a path for input files, INPUT_FILE_FOLDER=/project/dev/con/InputFile SEARCH_MASK_INPUT_FILE=ABC_CR_PQR*.* I want to use this path to get all file names from... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poonamol
9 Replies

8. HP-UX

Performance issue with 'grep' command for huge file size

I have 2 files; one file (say, details.txt) contains the details of employees and another file (say, emp.txt) has some selected employee names. I am extracting employee details from details.txt by using emp.txt and the corresponding code is: while read line do emp_name=`echo $line` grep -e... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arb_1984
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to grep output from top command.

Hello, I want a script which would grep details from top command for specific processes. I m not sure of the PID of these processes but i know the names. $ top -c top - 16:41:55 up 160 days, 5:53, 2 users, load average: 9.36, 9.18, 8.98 Tasks: 288 total, 9 running, 279 sleeping, 0... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddheshk
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in shell script

Hi All, I am facing performance issue while rinning the LINUX shell script. I have file1 and file 2. File one is the source file and file 2 is lookup file. Need to replace if the pattern is matching in file1 with file2. The order of lookup file is important as if any match then exit... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ureddy
8 Replies
CMDTEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							CMDTEST(1)

NAME
cmdtest - blackbox testing of Unix command line tools SYNOPSIS
cmdtest [-c=COMMAND] [--command=COMMAND] [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [-k] [--keep] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [-t=TEST] [--test=TEST] [--timings] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
cmdtest black box tests Unix command line tools. Given some test scripts, their inputs, and expected outputs, it verifies that the command line produces the expected output. If not, it reports problems, and shows the differences. Each test case foo consists of the following files: foo.script a script to run the test (this is required) foo.stdin the file fed to standard input foo.stdout the expected output to the standard output foo.stderr the expected output to the standard error foo.exit the expected exit code foo.setup a shell script to run before the test foo.teardown a shell script to run after test Usually, a single test is not enough. All tests are put into the same directory, and they may share some setup and teardown code: setup-once a shell script to run once, before any tests setup a shell script to run before each test teardown a shell script to run after each test teardown-once a shell script to run once, after all tests cmdtest is given the name of the directory with all the tests, or several such directories, and it does the following: o execute setup-once o for each test case (unique prefix foo): -- execute setup -- execute foo.setup -- execute the command, by running foo.script, and redirecting standard input to come from foo.stdin, and capturing standard output and error and exit codes -- execute foo.teardown -- execute teardown -- report result of test: does exit code match foo.exit, standard output match foo.stdout, and standard error match foo.stderr? o execute teardown-once Except for foo.script, all of these files are optional. If a setup or teardown script is missing, it is simply not executed. If one of the standard input, output, or error files is missing, it is treated as if it were empty. If the exit code file is missing, it is treated as if it specified an exit code of zero. The shell scripts may use the following environment variables: DATADIR a temporary directory where files may be created by the test TESTNAME name of the current test (will be empty for setup-once and teardown-once) SRCDIR directory from which cmdtest was launched OPTIONS
-c, --command=COMMAND ignored for backwards compatibility --config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit -k, --keep keep temporary data on failure --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output -t, --test=TEST run only TEST (can be given many times) --timings report how long each test takes --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To test that the echo(1) command outputs the expected string, create a file called echo-tests/hello.script containing the following con- tent: #!/bin/sh echo hello, world Also create the file echo-tests/hello.stdout containing: hello, world Then you can run the tests: $ cmdtest echo-tests test 1/1 1/1 tests OK, 0 failures If you change the stdout file to be something else, cmdtest will report the differences: $ cmdtest echo-tests FAIL: hello: stdout diff: --- echo-tests/hello.stdout 2011-09-11 19:14:47 +0100 +++ echo-tests/hello.stdout-actual 2011-09-11 19:14:49 +0100 @@ -1 +1 @@ -something else +hello, world test 1/1 0/1 tests OK, 1 failures Furthermore, the echo-tests directory will contain the actual output files, and diffs from the expected files. If one of the actual output files is actually correct, you can actualy rename it to be the expected file. Actually, that's a very convenient way of creating the ex- pected output files: you run the test, fixing things, until you've manually checked the actual output is correct, then you rename the file. SEE ALSO
cliapp(5). CMDTEST(1)